Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Time to move on?

Looks like this is something that many of us think about at some point or other...

I'm going through the same thoughts at the moment. My Turbo is a weekend car and does between 3k and 5k a year, but is now at 82k. I've always needed a sensible daily due to mileage, but I now have my own business and only anticipate doing 10k a year from now.

I'm thinking that I fancy a C63 AMG, and am torn between chucking back the 135 and getting the Merc on a PCP, or (dare I say it) selling the Turbo and buying the Merc with the proceeds.

First world problem I know, but it is one which I'm really not sure which way to go.

Good luck either way OP :thumb: :?:

HAve you ever tried a Merc Auto?

I just can't get on with them.

I also find that the AMG engine sounds great and is fun in straight line, v fast, torquey, tail happy etc, but that's it. No satisfaction in the corners, feedback through steering etc.

I feel your 'pain' - everyone is different, so no 'right' or wrong, and sometimes a change is needed even if there's nowt wrong!

I don't drive daily, and most of my 'functional' driving I do in the wives 320d which is great. For my 'toy' I have looked at lots of options, but it really comes down to depreciation really - for me, as the car is a luxury, I can't stand losing money in depreciation, so I'd rather buy older/more special and pay more to maintain it as (apart from a rare big bang) this generally is far less than depreciation on most sub 40k cars under 5 yrs old.

If I were you I'd get it borescoped, plan a road trip, fall back in love with it, and buy something cheapish but fun for the everyday!

(that said, I would only do this if the porca was garaged! I'm pretty ***** about this, and would struggle to leave a weekend car outside when I don't use it that often).

All this said, I have a mate who uses his M2 most days, loves it, and is planning to keep it a long time so isn't so worried about the depreciation, so fair play to him.

Final comment - I just came from an E46 m3 to a 997 c2s. The engine in the m3 felt more special, less brawny but more racey, the rest of the car felt a lot less special.
That said it was notably more usable family wise, but for me this wasn't enough to keep it. I just didn't love it.

James M-S said:

I also find that the AMG engine sounds great and is fun in straight line, v fast, torquey, tail happy etc, but that's it. No satisfaction in the corners, feedback through steering etc.

Not yet, I'm trying one this weekend. That's how I imagined it would be and so am looking forward to experiencing one myself.

If you think a Merc auto box is difficult then never try a Merc manual, they are terrible.
The Porsche tip box was actually, I believe, a Merc box.

Unfortunately the 'specialness' of my 997.2 has been slightly tainted this last year by the nonsense that's been going on in our region with the Porsche Club. Long standing members have been leaving, others have changed Region and some have even chopped their car in and walked away altogether!
I know the actions of a few should be ignored but it has left a lot of owners feeling pretty despondent.

And on a last note, I test drove a McLaren in November, since then I've had monthly communication from McLaren and yesterday I was invited on a Millbrook test day. Apparently there will be various models of car to drive and professional drivers on hand to give us guidance and it's free. Never had that offer from Porsche and I've owned 6 of them!

hedgehogsdad said:
James M-S said:

Not yet, I'm trying one this weekend. That's how I imagined it would be and so am looking forward to experiencing one myself.

Well I tried a C63 earlier today and was impressed by it, and think as per the OP's title that it might be time to move on. The 997 has always been a weekend car, and although it's in great condition, I'm becoming increasingly conscious that it is almost 13 years old, and things are going to start to wear out.

The Merc will become my daily, replacing the BMW, and while I will be sad to see the Turbo go, the C63 feels special enough (almost) to take its place.

One thing which I do miss when I use the 997 is the modern equipment which you get in a modern car, and the Merc is full of toys, oh, and it sounds like the gates of hell have just been opened.

I'm going to ponder over the weekend, but I suspect I know where this is going....

:?:

It`s good to see a few people getting out of their 997 turbos, gives more choice for those of us sitting on the fence waiting to see how the market goes this year :)

marcosman said:
It`s good to see a few people getting out of their 997 turbos, gives more choice for those of us sitting on the fence waiting to see how the market goes this year :)

Snap them up as soon as you get the chance, I took mine out today for the first time this year and still love it. For the money, it is such excellent value. :)

I must admit, there are many available at the moment and prices have eased quite a bit from what they were. If you want a black one you are spoilt for choice, but I don`t :nooo:

It's an age old problem by looks of it. This time last year I found out we were having our first born... our household has one driver and at the time one car.

The Cayman S being our only car but not used every day. I love it to pieces, at my price bracket I could have gone for a 996 or a 987 but didn't want the car to be that old.

I put the Cayman on the market, almost sold it within 48 hours for what I had paid for it after adding 10k miles. I just couldn't let it go, thinking an S4 or E92 M3 would be the best all round replacement. The Audi is so heavy but looks a lot nicer than the BMW, test drove some M3s, they just left me cold. Felt like I was sitting in a Transit the seating position was so high and the carpets are of the same quality as that of a Nissan Micra, not like the deep plush in the Pork. Beamer interiors are a real weak point IMO.

So picked up a mk6 Golf GT for her indoors (who is learning to drive), in doing so bought myself more time with the Cayman. It is a great cat to be honest, does 40mpg on the motorway and has just enough pep to overtake.

But I've gone from driving the Cayman regularly and worrying about whacking too many miles on. To physically having to make an effort to get out in her. It's a real tight rope, have the Cayman there for high days and holidays and spend most of my life in the Golf... or lose the Cayman and get myself something that fits a bub and his accessories but miss the Pork.

Testimony to Pork I guess that so many in this thread have all this soul searching. Have wondered about getting a tired 986 for peanuts and having that as the Pork fix. Or maybe chopping the Cayman in for a 996 but the prices seem to be going up now.

wow, been away from the forum for a few days, and loads of posts to think about

on balance, I'm still in the 'keep it' camp...the Mini is fine for commute, and the 911, I suspect, is worth more to me than to anyone else

it's been 'scoped a couple of years ago (clean), has the larger IMS (based on engine number), and a LTT/3rd Rad....tempting fate, I know, but I've done all I can

maybe it's a winter thing...I guess most of us use our 911s less at this time of year and naturally fall out of love/forget...

the answer, inevitably, is to use it more often...

......... thread hi-jacked ..........

Rest of post deleted by site moderator.

The posts causing the hi-jack have been moved to a separate thread.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bristolsparks
Back