Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Marky's 996 ownership thread.

Yep same info as given to us Wasz.

Hi Neil, thanks for that and yeah personally I think my car will have had a better going through. People feel safer buying from a dealer though don't they.
That advert states £24k spent to get car like that, but I bet a huge chunk is labour to RPM.

I'll have spent at least my £13k purchase price again and that's with me and Craig doing a massive load of the work ourselves. I've been throwing all the receipts in a file since buying the car, so I really should sit down one day, sort them out and add it all up.

I'd be putting mine up for £20k with a view to getting £18k but I honestly think that would still be a hard sell at the moment.

Last week I was 80/20 for selling, for something aircooled. I've juggled some finances and am ready to buy once I sell my car, but I need to have a tiny touch up (by body shop) done on the rear lid first, then it's spot on again.

This week though I'm back to 50/50 as by pouring all my funds into one expensive toy I will actually close doors socially to other things. I still miss my bikes and also car track days and a 964/993 won't do anything to address that.
So at the moment I'm just tinkering on and seeing how Brexit pans out too.
Will I regret not getting back into an aircooled later on? Who knows.

My old 964 Turbo is going to auction at the start of March. Estimate £57k-£67k.
That's cheap as a bit of a skelton in its closet emerged last year, from before me or my mate owned it I must add.
If it didn't sell at auction though there may be a deal to be done so I have one eye on that.

The main contender was this until today as I had it confirmed it doesn't have air con. That's probably ruled it out in one swoop but it just looks so damn good. 8)

http://rpr626.co.uk/porsche-cars-fo...93-carrera-2-rs-replica-6-speed-manual-coupe/

Like I always say though, how much money do I want in a summer toy I do little mileage in?
And it isn't 3 times better than my 996. In fact it's worse in some ways, eg no aircon.

So we'll see what happens. If I saw a thread like mine by someone else and they finished the car and then said they were selling, I'd think 'Loony!". :D

Realistically I think I need to run the 996 for at least another year, enjoy my road trip in it and enjoy the results me and Craig have worked so hard to create.
I'm looking at daily drivers now that could take the odd track day. Hot hatches mainly but then I feel like an old Chav during everyday use. Can't win! :grin:

Anyway those are today's ramblings. May well change again tomorrow, especially if I look at pictures of 964s and 993s again.
:wink:

Edited to add -
Not wanting to pull apart a car I haven't seen in the flesh but if you look at the wheel pic of the RPM car, there's something up with the arch lip. Either danage from tyre contact or swelling due to rust. It's like a 50p piece.

Hi Mark, that 993 has been up for sale with that dealer for a long, long time. I agree it does look good, but it not to have sold, one tends to think it's either overpriced or there's something wrong with it (please note I'm NOT saying there is something wrong with it !!)

Marky911 said:
So we'll see what happens. If I saw a thread like mine by someone else and they finished the car and then said they were selling, I'd think 'Loony!". :D

LOONY

Get some enjoyment out of your amazing 996. Ride out the financial uncertainty the next few years. No point in solidifying a loss on this to jump into something that is over valued in a bubble. I reckon the 996 will ride it out, and the inflated 993 won't - as said its been for sale a long time already.

wasz said:
Marky911 said:

LOONY

Get some enjoyment out of your amazing 996. Ride out the financial uncertainty the next few years. No point in solidifying a loss on this to jump into something that is over valued in a bubble. I reckon the 996 will ride it out, and the inflated 993 won't - as said its been for sale a long time already.

I'd have to agree. Your 996 is probably as nice as you could hope for.
Why not enjoy the fruits as they say.
Failing that, could you take off your aero kit, have it re painted Zenith blue and sell to me for £50. :mrgreen:

Thanks gents. Total sense and I am probably going to leave that 993, I think...

Hi Henry, yep Peter has had that for 2.5 years!!
I haven't been to view it yet until I got the funds in order but Peter says it needs some paint.
On top of that there's the hideous mis-matched blue and black interior, the £800 cheapie wheels, the completely wrong seats etc etc.
Apparently the Recaro Pole Positions were out of stock, so Peter bought those. Total wrong make and side mounts the wrong way round. The mind boggles.
It looks lovely in the pics but it will need further expenditure to get it nice.

Anyway I hope you're well H and having a good start to 2019. :thumb:

Hi Will and g911, yep you're both right. I just have an itch now my car is pretty much done.
Total madness though I know. I'll lose £8k/£10k at least and will have done all the work for absolutely nothing.
I may as well not have bought it, had loads of weekends not crawling around on the garage floor and have had an extra £10k in the bank towards the next one. :sad:

I always seem to sell when cars are at their lowest. 964 C2 for £12k, 964T for £25k etc.
Now I am not bothered one bit about making money on a car, as it's a passion, but it's nice not to lose a load either.
If I sell the 996 it will be another low sale to add to the above list, but more importantly, I'll be buying into the over inflated market of the 993, like you say Will.
Worse still I'd be financing a bit of it, Brexit uncertainty still looms large, plus it's done 110k so say I add 30k-40k over a few years I reckon it would have to be bargain basement money to ever shift it. So not a wise purchase. Or maybe just not ideal timing. I work too hard for my money.

So yeah 'I think" I'll leave it. I just need to stop looking at it and stop watching YouTube vids on air cooled stuff. :D

So I think I'm going to stick with mine for another year then, maybe longer. There are still some smaller projects to keep me busy this year too, so I won't be bored.
As I've said I've got a big track day itch this year, so I may just buy a cheap track car and get stuck into that again.

g911, that's a fine offer for my aero kit. :grin:
Good luck getting one though, they make the car in my eyes. :thumb:

Cheers for the input lads. I think I know what the plan is now.

.... but did I mention this one. :grin:

https://www.thesupercarrooms.co.uk/car-details/porsche-996-gt3-mk2-for-sale-lj04

Morning Mark, all good here, though an 'interesting" last 11 months on the car front !! Update and gory details to follow shortly ...
The Supercar Rooms are close to me, just say the word and I'll check the Mk 2 out for you :thumb:
That car looks to have had a price drop from when it was originally advertised?
It's a lot of go for the dough ...
Your car is looking absolutely superb !! How's the house ? Is your good lady well ?

Mornin' Henry,

The car stories sound intriguing. Hopefully a good outcome though. I'll be very interested in what you sample next, given your automotive CV so far. :D

Thanks for the offer of checking that out. Much appreciated. I think it may have had a price drop as I commented on a thread about it a little while ago and remember wishing I could stretch to it.
If I change for this summer I have an absolute max budget of £50k and that's banking on £18k for mine.
I'm not cheeky enough to offer £50k for that GT3 yet, but give it a month and I might enquire. :wink:
A silver mk2 would have been the GT3 equivalent of the anti-Christ to me once upon a time (mk1's in bright colours are where it's at), but to be honest I'd be chuffed to get back into any GT3 again and at least it's Polar, not Arctic. :thumb:

The house is pretty much done although I could fill my time for the rest of my days doing little projects and things. It has been 5 years since we bought it and almost 5 since you bought the GT3 off me. Where did that time go eh.
We are half looking at moving on. Happy here but if something interesting came up on a good plot I'd move.
Pretty much like the car really. Lots of hard work has gone in and I'm perfectly happy with it, but at the same time, I'm not hell bent on keeping it either.

Mrs Marky is fine, thanks for asking. Looking to leave teaching, as are a lot of teachers, but her degree is very specific to teaching so she's looking at retraining.
We'll see what the future holds.

Anyway I look forward to a car update and hopefully we can catch up over a cuppa or beer sometime.
There's a chance we may be at the RS day from around lunchtime if you're down there.
If not we'll have to catch up at some point.

Anyway it's off to bed for me. Bye for now. :thumb:

I'm pretty sure I viewed that 993 around ten years ago-I *think it's the car I viewed at Cridfords although if not it's more than likely the old Sarah Cox car.

It was rough back then.

The old Sarah cox car was very very rough. Looked good from a distance. I viwed it and it gad a very patchy history. Had a history along the lines of it used to be a left hooker and an auto allegedly.
There was another one knocking around which I guess this one is, someone on here or pistonheads used to own it. Im sure that was a much nicer car!!

I'd be amazed if it wasn't the Cridfords car then, was up for sale with them circa 2010-11 although not sure if it sold.

Needed a lot of work when I saw it. A fellow member looked it over first and said I should take a look although I suspect we had a vast difference of opinion over what constituted a good car!

Hi lads, thanks to a member on here I know who the previous owner is and how to contact him if I was getting serious about it.

No air con and the mileage have ruled it out though. Air con is absolutely essential given how I'd use the car. Plus, like I say, by the time I add 20 or 30 thousand miles to the current 110k it would need to be bargain basement money if I ever wanted out of it.
It seems daft to sell my 996 at the bottom of the market and buy into a 993 after they've boomed. I'm not even a 993 fan, but they look so good in RS style. But that's in a 2 inch pic on my phone. I know I would have to throw another £10k at it to make it anything like something I'd be happy with. :thumb:

I'm happy waiting at the moment. I won't be using any decent car for a few months yet and I'm just letting the B word thing play out too.

There's only one car I'd sell the 996 for at the moment and again I'd have to see it. The GT3 above.
But I'd be borrowing a bit and I just think why use a chunk of disposable income paying off a car when I could be spending it on trackdays and road trips.
My 996 is very very good and I could always buy an E46/E92 M3 or Supercharged Civic type r to use as a daily and to do a few trackdays a year in.

We may move house yet too and I'd be miffed if I had all my funds tied up in one car again and had to sell it, like I did with my last GT3.
I'd then be wanting a 996 C2 again. :grin:

The grass is always greener....
I'm tryin' to keep my sensible head on for now. :wink:

Hi Marky,
I sort of find myself having the same idiotic thoughts from time to time and
as much as I like my C2, it's just not in the same league as my old 964 in terms of actual ownership enjoyment, if that makes sense?
But....I just don't see the value in the air cooled stuff at the moment.
So, with my sensible head on... :? I'll stick....probably.

That makes total sense g911.
I'm exactly the same. My 996 is everything I need from a second car. There is nothing it lacks, especially in the £20k price bracket.
I walk into my garage and think 'That's stunning".

But... like you say there is just that last little bit missing and I can't settle.

I'm being spoilt though. When I had to sell the GT3 I thought that was me and 911s done for years but after a health scare my wife and family all helped me get back into one.

Now it has become the norm I'm on the hunt again. Lots of people would love a 996 like mine so I need to learn to be more content. :wink:

Hi EG,
It is nice isn't it. Looks like it has the usual gravel rash to the sills etc but hopefully that would make me just use it for a few years before getting precious about it.
Mechanically it looks sorted, suspension and diff wise etc, etc.

Work is booming but for how long and we are still in dodgy times politically.
Do I be brave/stupid or content and play it safe?

I'm leaving it a few weeks as I have a track day booked (not in my 996) and I'm still doing bits and bobs on my car.
If after the track day I want to get back into that properly, then I'll keep the 996 and get something to go alongside it that's more suited to thrashing round a track all day.
If that GT3 sells then that decides it for me. :wink:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclassicauto
Back