Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Anyone Trying Wrapping a Desk/Table?

mikeluke

Just redecorated the home office and my very practical and spacious desk looks out of place. It has a wood finish (laminate) and the room is grey/white. I was thinking about wrapping it in vinyl to help it blend in. Anyone got any experience/tips out there? I am thinking that if car vinyl can take weather and washing it should be tough enough to cover my desk in....

Thanks

Never tried it myself, but the only problem I can see is if the desk has sharp 90 degree corners which would be pretty difficult to get just right and might be easily damaged.

Bring back "Blue Peter" I say, sticky back plastic all the way :thumbs:

Through work i have had people in the past wrap flat sheets of melamine or overlay the flat part of check out desks etc. which does work and stick, but as said the corners will be difficult as you will probably have to cut the vinyl. Also if you do the top of the desk it will probably tear when you drop things on it or catch it so if you want to go down this route you might want to think about a perspex / glass sheet on top or alternatively you can buy coloured laminate sheet but this is incredibly difficult to cut with a clean edge and has a tendency to snap when you are working with it, plus it will cost a few quid. On the corners if you do cut the wrap you might want to look at installing a protective metal corner on top of the cuts so that you don't snag and lift the vinyl with your arm or as you walk past.

You could paint it but you will need to prime it first with a product such a zinzer but this will also scratch over time, so you will be doing it again soon.

unless the desk is is an expensive one that you can't get rid of i would just stick that on gumtree and get a new one that suits as the cost of the wrap / paint / glass and time spent might not be worth the hassle.

just my 10 pence

Thanks!

Decided to give it a go and I have bought some corners to provide protection - and cover the joins!

:)

Have you gone for carbon fibre wrap?

or

Are you going to add decals?

and

Have you thought about Martini livery?

:grin:

Spotless Detailling in Perth have recently done this. Think its on their Facebook page

Ah.... Don't use Facebook. (Or Instagram, Snapchat, Twitter etc either)

This forum is the closest that I get to social media!

James M-S said:
Have you gone for carbon fibre wrap?

or

Are you going to add decals?

and

Have you thought about Martini livery?

:grin:

I'm afraid it is boring, dull matt grey - to sort of match the office furniture! Getting the spray bottle and squeegie ready

mmmm. I could wrap the lad's Polo whilst he is away at uni.....

Do you think that he'd appreciate the change from white to Barbie Pink?

Not nearly as tricky as a table might be but I wrapped my B&W stereo speakers in white. Previously they were a dark woodgrain type finish. not tricky at all, just take your time and if you could ever make an Airfix model it's a doddle !:thumb:

Attachments

• dsc_0670_145.jpg
    dsc_0670_145.jpg
    295.2 KB · Views: 9,010
  • dsc_0671_108.jpg
    dsc_0671_108.jpg
    242.5 KB · Views: 9,010
wasz said:
Good simple object to start with.

Next week you'll be doing your car like Infrasilver did!

Yes maybe. :grin:

The desk top corners of the wrap material will stretch with heat and won't be seen, there is a technique to it but a little practice on the corners alone before the final covering will help.

You basically overheat the material and stretch the area around the corner out first before laying down, then use the heat gun to shrink the material back towards the corner, pull down over the corner and trim the lower edges, there will be no join to see.

Vinyl has arrived but no sign of my applicator thingy...

Will have to see what I have in the cupboard, as I was planning on doing this tomorrow

So, I did it today - 95% OK - learnings...

Handling a large sheet of wrap on your own is tough

You need to be very careful not to crease the wrap before you apply it - getting them out is a bar steward

Hair dryer and streeettch works well on the corners

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back