Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

3.4 engine seized a few questions / put me out my misery :-(

Here's the pic i took when it arrived

When i first started reading this i was thinking coolant in a cylinder .. hydraulic lock .. to be a siezed starter motor .. i can honestly say in 37 years of fixing cars i have never seen nor herd of this .. and thats every make of car as ive only been on Porsche for 15 years .

Pretty good news compaired to what it might have been .

Now then lightweight flywheel ..

Ill just say that i think Porsche did an awfull lot of R&D on these cars in the design phase .. they decided on a duel mass flywheel ..

Other companys decided they new better and did this light weight flywheel .. im not convinvced these companys new more than Porsche or tested it as much ..

But as always i leave that sort of descion up to the customer .. i fit the parts Porsche have specified and leave it at that .

End of the day though .. phew !!!

The dual mass is designed to deal with vibration, flexing and the torque delivered to the gearbox. How did it drive with a solid flywheel? Every car Ive driven with one that should have been on dual mass was noisy and vibey and generally a pain in the arse!!

jond58 said:
The dual mass is designed to deal with vibration, flexing and the torque delivered to the gearbox. How did it drive with a solid flywheel? Every car Ive driven with one that should have been on dual mass was noisy and vibey and generally a pain in the arse!!

I'll admit it's probably an acquired taste and did chatter a little and if you let the revs drop too low in gear then yes you got some vibration
But I think it was worth it for how much quicker it revs

Phew!!.

I think it's sometimes worth remembering that some of the tuning/aftermarket outfits (whilst well intended) are adding and changing stuff to get results - albeit with the best intentions, they are not playing the longer game like the original manufacturer.

Sometimes the spend is high and the returns are low but perceived (placebo even?).

Matters not if you are racing or using a vehicle as a 'shop window' and factor in regular rebuilds/refresh, but when it's a daily or regular drive some of the 'bling' is not such a good idea IMHO.

Not like the cars are slow is it?.

maldren said:
Not sure I fully agree with Wasz, I would expect that the ring gear on the flywheel is steel and shrunk onto the alloy flywheel, cast iron flywheels are usually like this.

If the flywheel is undamaged, it may be possible to just have a new ring gear fitted and saving quite a lot - try asking the manufacturer.

Aha I hadn;t thought of that!

But glad I was partially right.

I would go DMF for the sake of your crank, the nose of the crank is a long way unsupported and the main bearings aren't known to be great.....but I've never driven a LWFW

996lee, sorry to read of your problem, I hope that you manage to resolve it with minimum fuss and bother. There is all sorts of invaluable advice to be found on this forum from folk who have been there and done that.... Of course the word of deMort is to be ignored at your peril and it seems to me that Chris_in_the_uk likewise...

I would have tended to expect that your lightweight flywheel would indeed have a steel ring gear that would be replaceable by any skilled mechanic... HOWEVER given the pic you posted my old eyes do not detect such a ring gear, though had the pic been of the other side of the flywheel we could perhaps have had a better chance of making a more accurate determination....?

As for the assumption that any kind of alloy could not take the wear and tear of the starting process, I would not be so sure..?

My vote would be to replace the lightweight flywheel with the original DMF But then I am perhaps no more than a BOF... Boring old F

Just thinking in type. :?:

wasz said:
maldren said:
Not sure I fully agree with Wasz, I would expect that the ring gear on the flywheel is steel and shrunk onto the alloy flywheel, cast iron flywheels are usually like this.

If the flywheel is undamaged, it may be possible to just have a new ring gear fitted and saving quite a lot - try asking the manufacturer.

Aha I hadn;t thought of that!

But glad I was partially right.

I would go DMF for the sake of your crank, the nose of the crank is a long way unsupported and the main bearings aren't known to be great.....but I've never driven a LWFW

No problem, you're always so spot on that I doubted myself!

Here's another couple of pics
And it does appear to be one piece
Wether it is alloy or not I have no idea

Looks like a lucky escape then Lee. You want to get the lottery put on this week as well with luck like that. :wink:

I've said before, I love LWFW's, they transform the feel of a car and I did weigh it up for mine last year, however I just think these engines have enough issues without giving them the chance of more.

There is the other school of thought that the lighter flywheel causes less stress on the final crank bearing due to less weight/mass.

I'd consider myself lucky and go back to standard, unless RPM gave a free replacement but since it was technically the starter at fault maybe the flywheel would otherwise have been fine.

Lee I see no obvious line around the base of the teeth such as can be seen on removable ring gears so you may be correct that it is all one piece.

I guess the supplier could provide you with accurate details of it`s construction...?

At this stage I assume nothing has been proven..? I guess when the starter is/was removed assessment will move one stage further on, if it nothing evident and it still does not turn over. either via a socket on the crankshaft pulley or putting it in gear and rocking...? Perhaps best leave it at that and hope the starter is at fault at this stage until you hear back from the garage..?

Keeping my fingers crossed ...

Luddite said:
Lee I see no obvious line around the base of the teeth such as can be seen on removable ring gears so you may be correct that it is all one piece.

I guess the supplier could provide you with accurate details of it`s construction...?

At this stage I assume nothing has been proven..? I guess when the starter is/was removed assessment will move one stage further on, if it nothing evident and it still does not turn over. either via a socket on the crankshaft pulley or putting it in gear and rocking...? Perhaps best leave it at that and hope the starter is at fault at this stage until you hear back from the garage..?

Keeping my fingers crossed ...

Yep the starter was jammed and had to be pulled out with mole grips apparently

I've decided to go for a lwfw again as I don't blame the flywheel and I've honestly loved it as a modification

It gets delivered to the garage tomorrow but forgot to ask what it was made out of but will find out

Good to hear that it is sorted and just very expensive rather than ruinous. Hope it can be fixed quickly.

Time to get the magnet out!

A magnet will show whether it's steel or alloy....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
b8n8tai
Back