Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Airbag light - cup steering wheel MOT failure

BHZ661

Took the car for MOT and it failed on the airbag warning light not coming on , car is fitted with a cup steering wheel ,airbag light has been resistered out , Im told the law altered last May ,the light has to come on and then go out rather than not on at all
Seems as tho its going to be a annual thing for MOT in fitting old wheel and then swopping back , anybody else had problems

Gary

That's true that the rules have changed although I dare say many testers will let it through still.

If the resistor has been fitted and the bulb is working then the light should come on and go off as normal. Are you sure that is why it failed? It would also fail because an airbag which was originally fitted is not present. That would make a lot more sense.

MC

MisterCorn said:
If the resistor has been fitted and the bulb is working then the light should come on and go off as normal. Are you sure that is why it failed? It would also fail because an airbag which was originally fitted is not present. That would make a lot more sense.

MC

He said because of the light , and the law change , still looks like going to be annual Mot prep job

BHZ661 said:
MisterCorn said:

MC

He said because of the light , and the law change , still looks like going to be annual Mot prep job

Fair enough, but if your light isn't coming on now, I don't see how swapping your steering wheel back will change that? With the resistor fitted, as far as the airbag controller is concerned your airbag is present.

MC

MisterCorn said:
BHZ661 said:
MisterCorn said:

MC

Fair enough, but if your light isn't coming on now, I don't see how swapping your steering wheel back will change that? With the resistor fitted, as far as the airbag controller is concerned your airbag is present.

I meant i will have to go back to the airbag wheel and connect all wiring back up, get it tested and then swop back over with cup wheel and resster

But if your light is not coming on now, what will make it come on when you swap the wheel and the wiring? The point of the resistor is to mimic the airbag. I.E. the light comes on and goes off as normal with the resistor fitted. If this isn't happening now I don't see how swapping your wheel will help?

MC

MisterCorn said:
But if your light is not coming on now, what will make it come on when you swap the wheel and the wiring? The point of the resistor is to mimic the airbag. I.E. the light comes on and goes off as normal with the resistor fitted. If this isn't happening now I don't see how swapping your wheel will help?

MC

Everything was ok before swop , unless ive put the resister in the wrong place if thats possible even , or there is another way to do it different to what ive done to minic light on and then off

BHZ661 said:
MisterCorn said:

MC

Everything was ok before swop , unless ive put the resister in the wrong place if thats possible even , or there is another way to do it different to what ive done to minic light on and then off

Have you put the old wheel back on, and did that solve the problem?

The resistor can only really go in one place, so I'd be amazed to see if you had got it wrong.

As others have said, the light should still come on even with the resistor in place

I havent refitted yet Jay that will be a weekend job , there must be another problem some where then it appears :?

I have just checked my car and my light dosnt come on either. It'll be interesting to see how you get on with the original wheel back on

I think it should be on for a few seconds on ignition position 1 then go off.
If it isn't doing that I would plug it in to diagnostics and read the codes. If you are near M1 J26 I'm happy to check for codes.

MC

Well I never. Mine doesn't light up either.

Scrub that, it does.
It's along at the right hand end of the row.

Mine comes on and goes off just like it did before the bag was removed. If your doesnt come on at all my guess would be the bulb rather than anything you have done. If you got the resistor bit wrong more likely the light would stay on rather than off

Got that mark. I flicked the key on and off a few times. It only seems to come on the first time you turn after putting the key in

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back