Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Cayenne Diesel S Buying Advice

I'll get the Colini stick out if you'll fly me over to inspect it :thumb:

...I genuinely don't understand why,given the myriad issues associated with the diesel engine, anyone today would even contemplate buying one?

But then again some people voted to leave the continent they occupy ? And that turned out ok ... so what do I know...

:floor:

GMG said:
...I genuinely don't understand why,given the myriad issues associated with the diesel engine, anyone today would even contemplate buying one?

But then again some people voted to leave the continent they occupy ? And that turned out ok ... so what do I know...

Ok we get it, you hate diesels.

You'll be overjoyed to hear that i am also going to look at a GTS, have you got anything constructive to add about that?

segart said:
It is a complete mystery. As Blakey says you cannot go 50 yards without seeing a bunch of modern rr, porsche, toyota, jaguar diesels. How do they manage? But with all the issues and costs associated with diesels, Ian (demort) has a point. Blakey if you would like another pair of eyes on the possible purchase give me a shout. Happy to kick the tyres with you!
Cheers
Rick

Cheers Rick, that's really kind of you to offer. I'll see how i get on and if i'm struggling to make a decision i'll give you a shout.

Zingari said:
I'll get the Colini stick out if you'll fly me over to inspect it :thumb:

Whoaaaa, this thread isn't going in the direction i had intended it to !!!

...given you live on a tiny island...what about a cycle or Sinclair C5 :D

GMG said:

I'll steer clear of the B word. So, why might a person choose diesel? One reason is the torque, which is desirable in big SUV's. I had a Range Rover, and the truck engine in that (4.4 litre diesel twin turbo) is perfect for that car. Lots of lovely dieselly grunt.
Second, there's economy. My RR averaged 30 mpg, whereas the petrol one (5 litre supercharged) would be mid teens at best. I never had any DPF issues since I did long runs every so often.
Third, reliability. I know there's a lot of talk about DPF's, EGR valves and the like, but all the taxi drivers round here run Skoda or Merc diesels, and they all have 100k miles on them. Ask the drivers and they report very few issues, especially with the Skodas. GMG, you of all people know about petrol engine reliability!!
And finally the anti-social element. Petrol engines with direct injection but without particulate filters may well be far more dangerous to health than diesels, although I do agree that NOx from diesels in urban areas is a problem. I doubt that the latest Euro-whatever diesels are especially anti-social, although I'm not an expert.

Anyway, there you go - some reasons for choosing the devil's fuel.

Blakeyjersey said:

You'll be overjoyed to hear that i am also going to look at a GTS, have you got anything constructive to add about that?

Actually I rather like diesel cars given I've got three of them. I regularly get tarred and feathered for using Satan's fuel but they suit my needs in that they're economical, engines seem bulletproof and can hammer the miles.

Mrs Z has a diesel old enough not to have a DPF and that is confined to local shops and dogmobile approx 5 miles a day and doesn't have an issue. The ideal car would be EV/Hybrid but Mrs Z doesn't like autos :roll:

Miss Z has a diesel Mini (DPF) that she used on 40 mile commutes but more recently short trips. The exhaust on that gets sooty but just about gets a regular long trip up/down the motorway to keep the DPF happy (I think). I've started using some DPF cleaner additive and that seems to help.

My daily is a F56 CooperS diesel which is THE best car I have ever owned - and that's saying something! It's got nearly every extra, modern sat nav which is easy and cheap to upgrade maps, 60+mpg and a power delivery and handling that takes some beating. :grin: Commutes in it are all motorway so no DPF issues I expect and a very very clean exhaust.

My Cayenne (2012) was a diesel and very well spec'd. That was great and a mile muncher 30+mpg and as a works hack would do 1000 business miles a month mainly motorway so I suspect no DPF issues.

I think there's a lot of scaremongering about modern diesel and DPF issues but if you look at a lot of city private hire, if they're not Prius Hybrid they're modern diesel :dont know:

Zingari said:
Blakeyjersey said:

Actually I rather like diesel cars given I've got three of them. I regularly get tarred and feathered for using Satan's fuel but they suit my needs in that they're economical, engines seem bulletproof and can hammer the miles.

Mrs Z has a diesel old enough not to have a DPF and that is confined to local shops and dogmobile approx 5 miles a day and doesn't have an issue. The ideal car would be EV/Hybrid but Mrs Z doesn't like autos :roll:

Miss Z has a diesel Mini (DPF) that she used on 40 mile commutes but more recently short trips. The exhaust on that gets sooty but just about gets a regular long trip up/down the motorway to keep the DPF happy (I think). I've started using some DPF cleaner additive and that seems to help.

My daily is a F56 CooperS diesel which is THE best car I have ever owned - and that's saying something! It's got nearly every extra, modern sat nav which is easy and cheap to upgrade maps, 60+mpg and a power delivery and handling that takes some beating. :grin: Commutes in it are all motorway so no DPF issues I expect and a very very clean exhaust.

My Cayenne (2012) was a diesel and very well spec'd. That was great and a mile muncher 30+mpg and as a works hack would do 1000 business miles a month mainly motorway so I suspect no DPF issues.

I think there's a lot of scaremongering about modern diesel and DPF issues but if you look at a lot of city private hire, if they're not Prius Hybrid they're modern diesel :dont know:

I was replying to GMG when I said 'you don't like diesels' :D

Anyway, been to look at both the Diesel S and GTS this morning and I'm leaning towards the GTS.
The Diesel S has 18 way sports seats in a nice subtle cream but also has a contrasting poop brown leather dash etc which put me right off. Had heated steering wheel with carbon inserts which was a bonus but there were no heater controls in the back for rear passengers whereas the GTS did have that.
Taking the GTS out on Tuesday. Got to start it up in the showroom and it is a lovely sounding car.
So now we've decided that Diesel and dpf is going to be then end of the world for me and the rest of the human race what should I look out for with the Petrol GTS?
Surprisingly I really liked the Carmine Red with contrasting black alloys in the flesh. It stood out and didn't actually feel like it would be to showy.
It's a 2012, are transfer boxes/oil an issue with these?
Are the petrols engines as reliable as the diesels?

No idea why they flog that brown dash. I've even seen it on black cars :?

I've been running a 2017 Deisel S for just over a year now without any problems. The engine sounds great and chucks out less CO2 than media would have you believe. To get around DPF issues 90% trips are longer journeys, prefer to use the petrol Mini for nipping into town etc.
The pan roof and seats are great, the lights are brilliant and plenty of other kit
keep you entertained.
V8 sounds great on start up and has epic torque for strong acceleration.
One thing I can say is that 650 to 700 miles on one tank is easily achievable, best mpg ever on a long trip was 46 worse was 28 when spanking it down the autobahn. It's up to you!
When all the ships, HGVs and volcanoes have stopped doing their thing I'll worry about my 8,000 miles a year in the Cayenne diesel monster.
Hydrogen cells are the real future anyway but thats another debate. Good
luck!

So here's where i'm at......

Diesel S
https://www.lecachet.co.uk/listings/porsche-cayenne/
Positives
Black with silver alloys (i'm ok with the Carmine on GTS but prefer this)
Cream 18 way sports seats
Carbon fibre interior trim
2014 - 27,000 miles (GTS 2012 - 36,000 miles)
Next service not due till July 2020
Lower fuel costs compared to GTS

Negatives
Probably DPF issues (big concern)
Poop brown dash
Slight scratches on rear bumper
Slight kerbing to alloys
Tyre depth lot lower than GTS
No space saver wheel (he said they didn't come with one but i think it should)
No heated rear seats (not a deal breaker)

GTS
http://beaumontcarsales.com/cars/2012-porsche-cayenne-gts-v8-tiptronic-s
Positives
£2k cheaper than Diesel S
Fairly new tyres all round
Heated rear seats
PDCC
No DPF issues
GMG won't be upset with me

Negatives
2 years older and 9,000 miles more than Diesel S
Slight wear to rear seat where child seat has been
Due service (although would ensure this is done prior to purchase)
No 18 way sports seats
Higher fuel costs

Based on the worry of DPF issues and probably you are lowish mileage too being on the island most of time, therefore less fuel spend you could probably be better off with the GTS.

Have you considered looking further away for one? Theres a decent looking GTS at Aberdeen Porsche main dealer for example, other dealers are available. I usually have to travel a fair way to find the right car, not much choice locally usually in my experience.

I'd looked at approved used as the 2 year warranty would be great and had seen the one up at Aberdeen, think it looks fantastic.
Unfortunately i'd have to pay 5% tax to import it here, plus £1,900 VED and then obviously the cost of travel/ferry etc means it's not really an option.

There don't seem to be any VAT Qualifying ones about and if they were they'd most likely be at non-Porsche dealership so no benefit of the warranty.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back