Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

borescore video on you tube , whats your thoughts

Phil 997

Le Mans
Quite an interesting watch , whats your thoughts

Very good. There is a cracker of a thread on Rennlist where Jake is working with a guy that has had a 9A1 engine failure. Theyre going to release a video about it shortly, and looks like someone is about to get stabbed with the carry on about it all. So if anyone has a spare 30 mins or so, well worth a read for all the smoke and mirrors discussion and plotting that's apparently going on.
I have one question though, probably best answered by Hartech as they obviously do the work and see this stuff day in day out. On the failures that they repair what is the split between Tip and Manual across the 996 and 997s?

FZP said:
Very good. There is a cracker of a thread on Rennlist where Jake is working with a guy that has had a 9A1 engine failure. Theyre going to release a video about it shortly, and looks like someone is about to get stabbed with the carry on about it all. So if anyone has a spare 30 mins or so, well worth a read for all the smoke and mirrors discussion and plotting that's apparently going on.
I have one question though, probably best answered by Hartech as they obviously do the work and see this stuff day in day out. On the failures that they repair what is the split between Tip and Manual across the 996 and 997s?

It will be interesting to hear what they think Frank , as most seem to think the tip due to it using a default second gear to pull away in and that adds a strain to the engine. I always drove my gen1 tip on the rockers like a lazy manual with no clutch lol. so always was in first to pull away. it always meant also I was in the correct gear for the speed I was doing again not putting a strain on the engine as in auto mode it rushes up the gears as quick as poss as Economy and emissions were the focus at build time ,but in auto mode it often meant I was in a gear at least 1 too high if not 2 too high for the way I was driving. :thumb:

I think Baz has said it's is more likely to be a Tip engine but there are no records kept, unsure if they have decided to keep records in more recent times?

Video is a bit boring (mother, eggs and sucking spring to mind) unless you are new to the brand and are thinking about buying a car with an M96/7 engine. I'm not particularity a fan of Raby and his scare mongering tactics

I know I can't post the Rennlist thread, but if you go to the 997 section and look for the "997.2 3.8 Engine failure" thread, its a good read, especially towards the end when the skullduggery and shennanigans. Your summation of Jake was what I was thinking, Infra.

infrasilver said:
Video is a bit boring (mother, eggs and sucking spring to mind) unless you are new to the brand

i couldn,t agree more .. its kinda a non video .. it just shows some scoring .. which on a 996 imho is pretty rare .

I am glad the general consensus is its all a bit scaremongering type stuff , agree with the views its worth a watch if your new to these cars but he didn't say anything that anyone living with a 911 doesn't already know.

What was sort of interesting is that its an American talking about borescore , you hear much less from the Americans about this subject than we do from the Europeans.

could be worse I guess ,someone could have asked Donald Tusk for his view.
"what kind of hell is waiting for anyone that buys a 996 or 997.1 without considering the risk of borescore "

:floor: :floor: :floor: :floor:

Phil 997 said:
"what kind of hell is waiting for anyone that buys a 996 or 997.1 without considering the risk of borescore "

If that wasn't the biggest "sticking the slipper" call of the whole thing, I don't know what is :floor: :floor: :floor:

997 does suffer from this .. i think ive seen 1 996 with this .. whilst i dont know that much i think the fact i have seen so few makes this a lesser problem than the 997 / 987 .

The video almost seems to be jumping on the 997 score problem .

Things break .. i see one offs all the time .. how about a gen 2 987 tandem pump breaking appart and filling the system with metal .. never seen it before .. never herd of it ..but it can happen .

Only seen something similar on a 991 and again only one .. so 2 pumps on totally seperate cars that had the same failure .

Things break im afarid .

deMort said:
997 does suffer from this .. i think ive seen 1 996 with this .. whilst i dont know that much i think the fact i have seen so few makes this a lesser problem than the 997 / 987 .

The video almost seems to be jumping on the 997 score problem .

Things break .. i see one offs all the time .. how about a gen 2 987 tandem pump breaking appart and filling the system with metal .. never seen it before .. never herd of it ..but it can happen .

Only seen something similar on a 991 and again only one .. so 2 pumps on totally seperate cars that had the same failure .

Things break im afarid .

They certainly do Ian, :grin: how about a gen2 that needed a gearbox rebuild , clutch, flywheel, coolant pipes and a new engine all within the same year. circa £26k, and some people worry about the odd car with a couple of scored cylinders :floor: :floor: you lucky lucky people :grin: :grin: :thumb:

I think the vid is good from the point of view that it is clear and good quality but they could at least highlight how rare the issue is! Will be interesting to see the rest of the series, however it will only serve to escalate the paranoia around this subject! It is a bit Janet and John, which is fine for people who don't know much about engines, but these are the sort of people that will be running a mile when they see it! Plus, that engine is seriously scored, must have sounded like a Ducati on tick over :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mRraTicErw

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Milno
Back