Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Which should I buy ?

It's not about wind in my bonce, it's about being more in touch with the elements when driving. Do you ever see roller coasters with cabins you sit it - no. The more exposed you are the greater the adrenalin rush. The smell of burning fuel and rubber, the sound of that flat 6 and the tyre screech, the visibility and spacial awareness. The only thing that comes close is riding a motorbike with nothing on except a pair a flip-flops & speedos.

Ah yeah. I get it. Not knocking it. Top down motoring adds another dimension, no doubt.
I owned loads of cabs in my younger days but I like my 911s in coupe form.
Plus I tend to stay out of the sun these days.

Yeah I've owned cabs too.......but none of them come anywhere close to a 911 cab. Totally different. The only cab that doesn't scuttle shake.

Apologies for the thread hijack Carpenter100.

Back on topic - have you not considered checking out some of the members cars for sale on here. That way you've more chance of having some peace of mind the car's been owned by an enthusiast. :dont know:

Yeah I've spent loads of time in Boxster Spyders 987 and 981.
Nice enough experience and I'd probably have one.

Hi again , update on the cars , went to look at the 3.6 today , and was disappointed wasn't as tidy as I was hoping , and also dripping oil underneath although they said they would rectify this , it's recently had a fly wheel and clutch fitted , on the other hand the 3.4 although done higher mileage is a much cleaner and mechanically sound car with a much nicer spec wing back seats , Dansk exhaust etc, incidentally good detective work those are both the cars I've looked at , I will disagree with there being an abundance of lower mileage cars out there at 10/11 k there isn't I've spent long enough looking , I have one more to look at at friends Green Porsche a 3.4 on 111k , but not as nice internally from what I can make out and not as nice wheels , if that actually matters . I'm leaning heavily toward the 3.4 I've already looked at .

Friends Green Porsche???? Isn't that the outfit that get horrendous amount of flack on here for being such cowboys? I'm sure they have form - do a search on here.

At your budget I doubt you'll find a cleaner one than KAS' car.

I don't think anyone suggested an abundance of lower mileage ones out there for £12k.
Simply that you might haven't up the budget to get a better car.

Definitely don't choose your car on what wheels it has on. Probably the easiest detail of all to change.

Beware of FGP. :nooo:

To add to what's been said, and give a real world example of a highish miles 3.4 996, I've owned mine for a few month now. I went into ownership with eyes open having had one ages ago.
I bought a 100k miler with an oil change for every year and a very fresh interior but not much else spent on it. I got it cheap, knowing it would need TLC..
To date I've put a low temp thermo , discs pads and hand brake shoes, full service including tip oil and filter change drive belt and coil packs replaced, a header tank and radiator, ballast resistors, various brake lines, battery, spare key, number plate plinth, oil pressure sender, bumper mesh, third brake lights (full units)
I've prob spent a third of the purchase price on the above (including labour, it would have been a lot cheaper if I'd the skills to get oily) and I know the are various suspension parts and other bits yet to do.
To add balance, a pal bought a well sorted 3.6, similar mileage for a good few grand more, but has had to do absolutely nothing else to his one yet. My totals are now approaching his purchase price at this stage.

With the mileage we're prob both looking at an engine rebuild in the next few years depending on the roll of the dice , but then when did rebuild become a dirty word? I've had a number of engine rebuilds on other 'reliable" marques, it was just looked on as part and parcel of the joys of ownership...

Also worth mentioning that even with the bits yet to be done on mine, and a possible big engine bill, it's still way way cheaper than any other air cooled 911 out there, and a whole lot cheaper than any properly sorted post 996 911.

Buying a 996 is always going to be a gamble unless there is evidence of work over and above basic servicing.
I paid £16k for my C2 in May 2017. Lots of recent work. Mechanically spot on assuming the engine doesn't self destruct.....
If I were looking now I know exactly who I'd be messaging..... :?:
And BTW I'd much much rather buy privately from an enthusiast owner than a dealer.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
993gtnut
Back