Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Help - PCM problems 2.1

t1x

Hi all,

Its been a while. Time for your advice if possible.

I have a problem with my PCM 2.1. Before you all say replace it with an after market unit, I want to keep it original if possible.

The problem:
The unit is stuck on radio. The volume control on the unit and steering wheel work and i can navigate the tuner through the steering wheel but not the unit. The buttons are no longer lit when the lights are turned on. all other buttons are non responsive.

Hooked the car up to a PIWIS and the error code PCM MMI 8003 operating button stuck came up.

So two questions really:

1) can this be fixed or is it a brick
2) if it is a brick can i buy a second hand one from Ebay and put it in plug and play? I have read that the unit may need to be coded at an OPC and i will need the VIN of the donor car.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

https://www.revtronic.com/

I have used them to fix the nav system. Very helpfull and know their stuff. You can take the whole car to them if needs be and they will do the job while you wait, but a bit of a trek for you! Give them a call, see what they say.

jl-c said:
https://www.revtronic.com/

I have used them to fix the nav system. Very helpfull and know their stuff. You can take the whole car to them if needs be and they will do the job while you wait, but a bit of a trek for you! Give them a call, see what they say.

Thanks for the prompt reply. Yep Bradford is a bit of a journey. I found a company called Cartronix. Anyone used them?

I have used Maple Audio previously but they are not accepting any units at the moment.

t1x said:
Hi all,

2) if it is a brick can i buy a second hand one from Ebay and put it in plug and play? I have read that the unit may need to be coded at an OPC and i will need the VIN of the donor car.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Can't really give you any pointers as to what could be wrong with yours, but the PCM2.1 is definitely plug and play, so if you buy a second-hand one off Ebay it will work no problem (provided its a good one).

It is only from the PCM3 onwards that coding is required incorporating the VIN.

If you do need to buy a second hand one, I still have the one I removed from my car and it's in perfect working condition.

Robert SausageTrousers said:
If you do need to buy a second hand one, I still have the one I removed from my car and it's in perfect working condition.

PM sent Robert.

Thanks.

So it's good to know it should be plug and play.

Will it need any re config using a PIWIS?

Sounds like Robert may have sorted you out but if not then I also suggest you send the unit to revtronics they will get it back to you within a week fixed. :thumb: :thumb:

I think (?!) my car doesn't have Bose, and the stereos are specific - I assume the speaker covers would have Bose written on them if so?

t1x said:
So it's good to know it should be plug and play.

Will it need any re config using a PIWIS?

No configuring needed, no need to connect to PIWIS, PCM2.1 is totally plug and play.

Robert SausageTrousers said:
I think (?!) my car doesn't have Bose, and the stereos are specific - I assume the speaker covers would have Bose written on them if so?

Good point! - the Bose uses the MOST fibre optic system and there are two different PCM's one for Bose and one without, so if your car has Bose you need to source another BOSE unit.

Have you tried dong a reset on your system first, worth a try as its just a matter of pressing a combination of numbers on the key pad if I recall.

Edit: just had a google - if you press keys 1,4,8 simultaneously this will rest the PCM2.1

Doesn't Tore work on these units too - he's a site sponsor. Begvill FX or similar.

Here he is:

www.bergvillfx.com

The fault code would indicate to me .. exactly what it says .. one of the buttons has stuck so the unit is locked .

Coffee spilt on these will do exactly this .. nasty sticky stuff when it gets inside things like this .

You can strip appart a pcm to get at the front buttons .. its not for the faint hearted but not exactly hard either ..

Ive changed screens and sim card holders on these before.

As it is .. you dont have much to loose .

Or a few squirts with electronic contact cleaner?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
993gtnut
Back