Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Which should I buy ?

Are they these two:

https://www.pistonheads.com/classif...sche-911-996-carrera-tiptronic-s-1998/9255794

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201901053675375

If so, couple of observations. The 3.4 has heated hardback seats, the 3.6 doesn't. The 3.4 has splt rim alloys, the 3.6 has 997 alloys. The 3.4 has had an amberectomy (don't ask but IMHO means it's been owned by someone with attention to detail). The 3.6 looks like it has a crease in the Driver's side sill at the front and potentially damaged aircon pipe which is sat right behind it. The 3.4 is a tip box vs. Manual on the 3.6 so expect half a second slower to 60 on the tip. The decals have been scrubbed off the calipers on the 3.6. I'll not ask what that TV thing is in the centre console of the 3.6.

If it is those 2 cars, the 3.4 is in better shape than the 3.6 condition wise IMHO. But I'll also say this - there's plenty more lower mileage cars out there for the same money (both 3.4 & 3.6), if that bothers you.

.........and I wouldn't go near ANY 3.6 without having the engine checked for bore scoring.

FZP said:
Im pretty sure Alex Yates cars us on similar mileage and was given a clean blll of health. All things being equal, id bank the extra cash and put it towards any repairs later on

Alex obviously bought a good car and whilst it might have that mileage on it now it's had an awful lot of personal tlc spent on it in his tenure. Despite his undying love for his own car I'd wager he'd think very hard before spending £11k on an unknown 21 year old, 133k miler.

T8 said:
I'd wager he'd think very hard before spending £11k on an unknown 21 year old

You're on.........where is she?

To be fair Terry, it's never had any engine work done that need doing apart from replacing bank 1 solenoid last month........which I'd say is pretty decent for a car with the mileage it has.

If I was in the market for a 996 it would deffo be a 3.4 or Turbo.

I keep looking at this. Ticks all my boxes apart from being a Cat D :nooo:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Porsche-911-3-6-2003MY-Turbo/254104412739

alex yates said:
To be fair Terry, it's never had any engine work done that need doing apart from replacing bank 1 solenoid last month........which I'd say is pretty decent for a car with the mileage it has.

Absolutely BUT it's not your car that's being considered. If it was we'd all know that Carpenter100 would be getting a very good car that he probably could just jump in and drive.

My point to him - probably not very well made - was that buying an unknown 21 year old car with 133k miles on it is always going to be a risk. The fact that he's been considering this particular car for so long shows that he probably already knows that.

ps. The 3.4 you linked is the car as the 'recent Cridford service' tallies with what he said about it a few weeks ago.

See --> http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=131643&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

Yeah thought it was Terry when I had a look at some of his previous posts (6 owners, etc.)

alex yates said:
It's a darn good price for what you're getting.

:?:

3 years ago 996 Turbo values were riding the crest of wave. I'd be surprised if "light damage" would have caused it to be not worth repairing.

The performance enhancements listed don't seem enough to back up the claimed 80+ bhp improvement over a standard car.

imo it's an ok price but not good.

That's cos you're comparing it with tip coupe prices. Find a manual cab for under £42k.

That's a £17k saving!! :eek:

alex yates said:
That's cos you're comparing it with tip coupe prices. Find a manual cab for under £42k.

That's a £17k saving!! :eek:

£42k for an 80k miler would be a very 'toppy' asking price. My comment was based on an equivalent straight car being worth £38k and applying the - 1/3 rule for it being a Cat' car = £25.3k.

Combined with my other points I still think the price is only OK at best.

That said, there's no others around for that sort of money so ........

ps. Apologies to Carpenter100 for the :hijack:

Its the rareity of them shunts the price up.

My 2p, It does seem this thread (except Alexs new turbo part lol) seems typical of the dilemma many new potential 996 owners have . I think its fair to say a good 996 is around the 20k mark and if anyone buys one for much less than that , Its quite likely they will have to spend some money on it and probably end up having paid out around 20k , this option may well suit someone who hasn't got 20k straight away up front but is happy to drip 5 to 8k at the car over a period of time.
But someone who's trying to get into a 911 at the lower end and stretches them selves to get 12k together and does not have the budget to then follow it up with getting the car right might end up very disappointed in their 911 ownership.
There are always the exceptions to the rule eg someone wants a cheap 911 and doesn't care if its a bit leggy or tatty and likes the RAT look . and then there are the very occasional bargains out there, a well looked after car that owes the owner nothing and they just want a fair lower than market price for it.
but you need to move very very quick on those unicorns as there will be lots looking for that rare beast.
:thumb: :thumb:
oh yes and Alex I have a £5 on you being in a different 911 before the years out , as long as you can get your head around spending more money on a car that won't give you much more pleasure than your 996 cab does :grin: :grin: that old dilemma a turbo isn't twice the car a Carrera is but it costs twice the price. :grin:

Poor Carpenter100. What was this thread even about again? I would never derail a thread like that, no way, not me. :grin:

Carpenter I'd buy neither. Flame suit on here but they are both at what is genuinely accepted as rebuild mileage.
As Alex says a 3.6 heading towards 100k will be a risk re borescore and a 3.4 at 130-140k will be a risk due to worn crank bearings and maybe oval bores.

There are always exceptions and it's great to see some going on way past what internet doom-mongery states but being realistic the cars you list will definitely be nearer the worn end of the spectrum than the fresh end.

When I bought mine, I wanted a mk1 for the aesthetics as I always prefer the original to a mid lifespan facelift, but mechanically too there's much less chance of bore score.
There are other risks though such as D chunking etc.

I figured this..
Any left now should have escaped infant mortality due to IMS or manufacturing defects, so try and stay under 80k in a 3.4 and you should have 20-40k miles before oval bores or worn crank bearings get you.
Barring a freak fault such as a dropped valve or something, I think that's a safe zone to aim for to give yourself a fighting chance.

Having said that unless they're an enthusiast owned car they'll all need £5k spending at least anyway, on rads, water pump, LTT, suspension, wheel refurb, interior tidy, etc etc.

So that's my 2p worth anyway and yes I bought a 74k 3.4 but have still had to do a shed load of work.

Phil speaks sense. They're a £20k car whichever way you cut it. I only spent £13k though thinking I'll do the rest as and when. I think I've spent over £15k since (haven't sat down and added it up) plus I've saved thousands in labour costs and have finished things better than a mechanic would, as far as powder coating things and painting arches etc.

Stretch the budget to £20k and there may be a thoroughly sorted, stunning to drive, 3.4 coming up with aero kit and 77k, (67k on engine) but grey interior.
I won't know for a week or so though. :wink:

Alex that's a decent buy that Turbo Cab. Not a pretty car though are they? The Turbo compared to the Carrera. Those wheels don't help. Standard rims and things may help. Bang for the buck will be second to none though and I know you like the wind on your bonce. :thumb:

PS Carpenter if you drive one and the box whines run away. That's a big ££££ bill right there instantly. :wink:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back