Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

looking to buy 997 2S

ipsl

Silverstone
Hi guys looking to buy a 2007 997 2S MANUAL .good SPEC have owned lots of porsches ,good history,61k on the clock all stamped by Porsche main dealer..So is there anything else I should check..Cheers :)

PPI
Borescope
DME check for over revs in ranges 4 and above
No excess soot on left side exhaust
The 2007 model IMS bearing is less prone to issues than earlier ones, checking the chassis number will confirm that is the case for peace of mind.
Enjoy :wink:

:welcome:

As you've owned lots of Porsche's you should already be aware of the potential for bore-scoring on these engines, which is VERY expensive problem. A Hartech rebuilt engine would be desirable

Make sure you have a PPI carried out on the car as a minimum and also consider a bore-scope on the cylinders by a reputable garage, for further peace of mind. A good warranty would also be on my list.

Good luck with your purchase!

997 2s

Thanks guys I no about bore scoring,the garage is a high rep... Dealer and gives 6 months on all parts labour ...??? Or do I leave it alone....?But the car is NICE.....

Let's be clear, the 997S Gen1 is a GREAT drivers car (after all I own one!) and engines suffering bore-scoring are not the norm! But, there is a small risk if you do not have the funds to repair it, or a warranty to cover it.

Ultimately it comes down to your budget, if you can stretch to a Gen2 (even privately) then you will have much less worry about engine failure.

Can you add a link to the dealer car? Someone here might even recognise it!

Is it this one?

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201811212634098

s70rjw said:
PPI
Borescope
DME check for over revs in ranges 4 and above
No excess soot on left side exhaust
The 2007 model IMS bearing is less prone to issues than earlier ones, checking the chassis number will confirm that is the case for peace of mind.
Enjoy :wink:

:yeah:

TonyC911 said:
Let's be clear, the 997S Gen1 is a GREAT drivers car (after all I own one!) and engines suffering bore-scoring are not the norm! But, there is a small risk if you do not have the funds to repair it, or a warranty to cover it.

Ultimately it comes down to your budget, if you can stretch to a Gen2 (even privately) then you will have much less worry about engine failure.

Can you add a link to the dealer car? Someone here might even recognise it!

Is it this one?

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201811212634098

Strong money for that car! Not a huge options list, average mileage and it hasn't been serviced in the last 18 months. Looks shiny though!

Check coolant hoses for condition and weaping in the front wheel arches.

That's almost gen 2 money. I know what I'd be buying.

s70rjw said:
:

It was updated late 2005, not 2007. I have seen at least one 2006 registered car which had the old IMS. Engine number is the key, not the date!

Bore Score is a concern, but it isn't a reason not to buy a 997.1.

resigner said:
s70rjw said:

It was updated late 2005, not 2007. I have seen at least one 2006 registered car which had the old IMS. Engine number is the key, not the date!

:yeah:

On an 'S' the engine number you want will be later than M97/ 0168509790 where the last 5 digits eg. 09790 are the production serial number.

A mate bought from those guys - good prep and generally ok experience I think.
Not sure on warranty Deco get ppi and bore check though, regardless.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
barrywhite
Back