Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

I''m back in a 911!!!.. 996 C2 project begins.

kas750 said:
I have owned a Porsche pretty much constantly for 29 years and having just turned 50 I know that I need to tick some boxes whilst I still have the interest!

Hi Ady :bye:

You've 20 years on me in Porsche ownership (if we don't count the ill fated purchase of an American spec left hooker 924 I talked my Dad into buying in 1987 :eek: ) so I get the hankering for a change. I went through a similar wrestling match when I was forced to sell my beloved 997.1 turbo recently. But unlike you I've ended up back in another....997.1 turbo. Though this time a manual to try something different :grin:

But I get it and fwiw I'd say do what you feel is right. The AMV is likely at the bottom of the depreciation curve, so what will you lose? (Barring major failure etc). I'm not so sure they'll upturn as much as Alex says in 5 years as there is a lot of choice of interesting metal at that price point. But prices may creep back up as they've done with previous Astons :dont know:

But as you've already calculated it's as financially 'safe' a space as any in current times.

Have you driven one yet? Sorry if I've missed that :?:

Marky911 said:
Mornin' Kas,

I can totally see the attraction. Of the two cars I would sell my 996 for, that aren't Porsche, one is a V8V and the other is an F type, although the latter will lose a lot. (Obviously there are more but they aren't under my £40-odd K budget.

The Aston's sound and look stunning, I just worry that once the new car buzz wears off, I'd be left with a less involving drive. I'm lucky that my mates have sampled just about everything as one of them is a dealer (he has an Aston at the moment), so I'm able to sample a lot of cars properly without having to buy them or waste salesmen's time.

I've decided that if I don't change my 996 for a year or two I'm going to add an '07/'08 XKR as a daily. Cheap mans Aston :grin: and I still have the 996 for weekends. My boss had one new in '07 and I liked it. Auto slush-box only though.

If an interesting air-cooled 911 comes up though I'll go for that but a lot of stars would need to align for that to happen, eg selling the 996 quickly etc.

15 years of 911s for me (minus 2015), but I'm still addicted. :D

Enjoy the search for your next car, it's always fun. :thumb:

For me any car less than a GT3 will be less pleasing viscerally and I think generally that bit is possibly over played so not really any issue to me.

I thought about an aircooled also but I feel I would be just going around in circles and not breaking new ground and besides I really cant see the value in them these days.

And finally of all the cars I have owned none have been a V8 so that box needs to be ticked. :thumb:

ragpicker said:
The Aston in that link looks very good value! They are outrageously good to look at too aren't they!?

I've heard nothing but tales of regret from people buying them though, am I alone in this? I ask as if what I've been hearing is wrong then I'd consider a vantage too if my turbo ever sells. :dont know:

Front engine rear wheel drive with a very solid engine.
Clutch change runs at £1600 up to 2k for the uprated version so not killer and there are a surprising amount of owners that work on there own cars which is good.

I think its a classic case of early owners being bent over and lubed up by the main dealers which propogated these stories.

alex yates said:
I've been considering that exact same car Ady. Been on a few weeks now and looks an absolutes steal. I don't see how anyone with a bit of nous and likes dabbling with the spanners would regret buying one of these...........and they'll be £35k in 5 years.

Mark - I'm in that exact same 50:50 position. Quite frustrating. Frank & I even did some role play on the pub car park yesterday with Frank the salesman and me the buyer. He quite easily sold my own car back to me. Think the correlation of the new hood being like wearing a new pair of underpants sealed the deal :grin:

It wants a couple of K off to help the contingency kitty.
As we enter the eye of the biggest ***** storm in recent times I reckon it would be good timing to pull the trigger on one of these.
Fortune favours the brave and all that
:thumb:

New997buyer said:
kas750 said:
I have owned a Porsche pretty much constantly for 29 years and having just turned 50 I know that I need to tick some boxes whilst I still have the interest!

Hi Ady :bye:

You've 20 years on me in Porsche ownership (if we don't count the ill fated purchase of an American spec left hooker 924 I talked my Dad into buying in 1987 :eek: ) so I get the hankering for a change. I went through a similar wrestling match when I was forced to sell my beloved 997.1 turbo recently. But unlike you I've ended up back in another....997.1 turbo. Though this time a manual to try something different :grin:

But I get it and fwiw I'd say do what you feel is right. The AMV is likely at the bottom of the depreciation curve, so what will you lose? (Barring major failure etc). I'm not so sure they'll upturn as much as Alex says in 5 years as there is a lot of choice of interesting metal at that price point. But prices may creep back up as they've done with previous Astons :dont know:

But as you've already calculated it's as financially 'safe' a space as any in current times.

Have you driven one yet? Sorry if I've missed that :?:

Hello Paul.I haven't driven one yet.I'm not expecting or wanting something scalpel sharp tbh.A good soundtrack,reasonable performance and killer looks will do it for me I think. :thumbs:

kas750 said:
Hello Paul.I haven't driven one yet.I'm not expecting or wanting something scalpel sharp tbh.A good soundtrack,reasonable performance and killer looks will do it for me I think. :thumbs:

Sounds like you're very clear what you're after. And they are a lot of car for the money. Good luck :thumbs:

Added to watchlist to bump it up the listings :thumbs:

You missed a bit off the Ad:

"Will part ex for AMV8V" :grin:

alex yates said:
Added to watchlist to bump it up the listings :thumbs:

You missed a bit off the Ad:

"Will part ex for AMV8V" :grin:
:thumbs:

I had a V8 Vantage before the 996. It was lovely and superbly balanced but be prepared for it to feel like a much bigger car. The noise though..!
Good luck with the sale and new purchase.

Marky911 said:
GLWTS!

:thumb:

Cheers Marky.Its with a heavy heart that I'm selling and I'm not sure I could get back into another one as sorted as this for nearly double the price of mine.We'll see.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StephCafe
Back