Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Bought a 996 today !

Brucey1

I've been after a 996 for 2 or 3 years , I came close 18 months ago but ended up bottling it after reading all the ims stuff , bore scoring etc .
I bought a Audi s5 v8 instead , it was a great car fast and comfortable, we drove from Scotland to the south of France in it last summer .
There was something missing however , it was no sports far more of a cruiser so inevitably I started looking at Porsche's again .
To cut a long story short I drove down to Dudley and traded the Audi in against a 2001 3.4 996 , 79000 , massive history file it's in great condition, drives brilliantly.
It's got milltek back boxes on it sounds amazing. , I love it !

Nice one! You did the right thing. My mate has an A5tdi quattro remapped. Its quick but he hates it and loves mine. I went through the same process with regards to taking a couple of years to buy one due to scaremongering.

If you ims bearing fails I'll buy you a 997 turbo.

And yes..........we need pictures! :)

Great choice Brucey! :thumb:

Way more involving than an Audi saloon! But they both have their uses.

Do you mind me asking how much you paid? I'm just curious as to where the market is currently.
I may be putting mine up by spring time and it's of very similar age and mileage, although I've spent over £15k on mine since buying it for £13k 3 years ago. :grin:

The market is dead due to Brexit, but I think I have an itch for something else, either this year or next.

alex yates said:
If your ims bearing fails I'll buy you a 997 turbo.

Hoho, a bold offer! Is a forum post a legally binding contract?

I'm with you that it probably won't, but I'd laugh if it did now. :floor:

Cheers guys , I paid £15500 , it's got full Porsche history receipts for thousands going back to day one .
I will get pics up tomorrow, I'm enjoying a few beers right now I didn't get back up to Glasgow to about 7 tonight .
We drove down and stayed in a hotel last night , I started getting a bit paranoid before I picked it up , the Audi took us down there in total comfort and it's been 100% reliable , i was thinking what I m I doing it's 18 years old , the engine will probably blow up on the way home !
Picked the 911 up this morning and after accelerating out of a couple of roundabouts all those thoughts disappeared, the steering and the feeling of it are amazing , it also wsng too shabby on the motorway .
I'm not missing the s5 at all .

Cheers and goodstuff.

The more miles you do, the more your confidence will grow in it.

Enjoy the shandies. :thumb:

Marky911 said:
alex yates said:
If your ims bearing fails I'll buy you a 997 turbo.

Hoho, a bold offer! Is a forum post a legally binding contract?

I'm with you that it probably won't, but I'd laugh if it did now. :floor:

I'd still honour my deal (so long as the failure was diagnosed genuine and not the OP putting diamond lapping paste in with his oil) :grin:

Brucey1 said:
Picked the 911 up this morning and after accelerating out of a couple of roundabouts all those thoughts disappeared, the steering and the feeling of it are amazing , it also wsng too shabby on the motorway .
I'm not missing the s5 at all .

Seriously - I've done 50k miles in mine now. Used as my daily, used as my holiday transfer to the South of France at least once a year.....every year, my work horse, my pub taxi, the lot. Where I go, it goes.......far better than I do.

I've never driven a car that makes you feel so in touch with the tarmac and crosses continents like you've not even got out of bed.

Good move my friend, good move.

Bet the drive home was EPIC and you're still buzzin. You need a couple of beers to bring you down.

Sweet dreams and post some pics tomoz!! :cloud9:

alex yates said:
I'd still honour my deal (so long as the failure was diagnosed genuine and not the OP putting diamond lapping paste in with his oil) :grin:

:grin:
That's exactly what crossed mind.

Alex,
Your reply "my work horse, my pub taxi, the lot. Where I go, it goes" has to be the perfect response. It's a friend with all the foibles that friends have and you put these right. I do suspect that you like the rebuilding process too.

Stuart

Well done OP!

You won't look back now. Audi's have their place but they really aren't all that IMHO.

Cars with character are much better for the soul. If you think the 996 is good, try a well sorted 986s! That'll blow your socks off if your open minded.

The 996 is probably the best 911 for me on the market. Its the right price, the best driving experience, analogue enough to be mendable by the home enthusiast but modern in its design. I love them! So much so that (whisper it) I'm waiting to see if/when Marky911 puts his up for sale as that car is a peach.

We need pics, OP. Lots of them!

:thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back