Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

95 to 98 ron fuel adaptation time

Will happen, but you can't beat old school knowledge.

I remember my mate (who I class as the world's best mechanic - he even won an award off Jaguar for it) telling me a story about a local rally driver rocking up at the boozer in his 6R4. My mate was there on the back of his mates Suzuki 550 or something similar. When the rally driver was leaving the pub he couldn't start his 6R4. Some hot start problem. Anyway my mate takes one look and says - you're running too lean mate. Rally driver looks at him as if to say - who the f*** are you. My mate goes over to him and asks if he has a hanky, by which rally driver produces one out his pocket. He then goes over to the 550, takes the fueal cap off and soaks the hanky in the tank. Pops the boot on the 6R4, holds the hanky over the air intake and says - right, fire it up.

Boom - the 6R4 bangs into action. :grin:

Love tails like that.

Thats it in a nut shell ..

Porsche train their guys to work with the fault code .. follow the test plan .. my argument was what if there is no fault code ?

That was ignored .. the latest cars do tend to give a code to be fair so we have something to work from .. but Porsche still want robots ..

I kinda think of it as a difference of cultures .. Germans and its a logical process without deviation , the real world might be slightly different though
:dont know:

I will say that the English market gives them the most headaches .. they dont like us very much lol .

The end result for guys like me .. we will print a log of the car control units .. Porsche will evaluate that log then tell us what to replace ..

OPC will end up a bunch of fitters doing what Porsche tells them to do ..

Thats is the future Gentleman .. glad ill be long gone when that finally happens .

It is pretty instant when you put in 95 to make the change although it does that when you go WOT as cruising along makes no real difference.

Clearly if you fill up half a tank later with 98 and have half a tank of 95 then you have a blend of 96.5 so think about this as it cannot return to optimal level until you get back up to 98.

The ecu makes compensation tables ( adaptions ) so it needs to move from them to the normal tables.

So if you had a full tank of 95 and then fill up with 98, 20 minutes of spirited driving with some third gear WOT runs and you will be back at full power.

As the ECU becomes later edition the time reduces but you need WOT runs to get it to re adapt.

I see this a lot when tuning - sometimes people have 97 in the car so if I see knock first port is always to fill up with vpower and make sure if the cause is fuel - you can literally watch it change on the screen.

Thanks Ken,

Another very interesting post in this thread.

I had to Google WOT :oops:

Should be my middle name.........I'm gonna get it tattoo'ed on my,,,,,I'll think where overnight :grin:

Theres some good books on EFI tuning about, I'm just soldering up a speeduino open source ECU for a carb to bike throttle body conversion project which I will map myself.

Production cars generally just have a narrowband lambda sensor than will only work at lowish revs (can't keep up). Hence why it does not have much effect up the rev range.

I will use a wideband sensor to map the engine on the road as I don't have a dyno. I might just leave the wideband in as it will be low miles car for full on closed loop running.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back