Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Which spec for best comfort?!...and PDK question

wadsy

Silverstone
Your thoughts please chaps on what spec would be best for comfort in a 991?...car would be our 'daily' once wife retires and also used for trips away, so needs to be as comfy as poss for longer journeys.

I'm thinking...

19's
PDK
Cruise
Parking sensors

err, that's it, as not sure on...

Which seats?
PASM or standard dampers?

Anything else that would contribute to comfort?...

PSE or not?
Bose?

Also, question on the PDK: I drove one a while back and the box kept changing up when I'd have liked it to hold the gear when driving through some B road twistys. Is there a setting/mode that holds the gear better?

Many thanks for any input.

Cheers

PASM will be better than no PASM.

Seats, you'll need to try them. Heated and cooled seats suit all year round.

PDK will usually not change up during cornering but you can use manual.

sounds like you want what I wanted - good daily with plenty of scope for fun now and again.

so suggest, Basic C2, 991.1, - as a daily you don't need the extra half second to 60 do you.
Standard seats are fine, most of the others are heavier (more motors in them), pdk,
19s are a bit more compliant yes - I keep mine for winter though and use 20s in summer.
PSE might be noisier than you'd want on a daily commuter but nice to hit the button when needed.
sport design steering wheel - those pdk thumb buttons are awful, the sport design wheel has paddles and much better to use
heated seats, DAB (not on some earlier models, standard on later ones I think)
and a warranty!

totally usable daily driver, and if your budget is bigger then you could have an S or more toys on it - but as a daily I'm not convinced you'd need them.

and on pdk, it shouldnt change on corners - set up right before and it'll stay right through the corner. also it will change up on straights unless youre in sport mode which locks it in gear longer and keeps it out of 7th.

best of luck with the search

As ever your likely to get the 'what I bought" responses. Like mine that follows...

The 991 is a better grand tourer and can turn on the sports feel if it has PASM/sport chrono and to an extent PSE.

Mrs G2 chooses the 991 'cos it's much more comfortable. And says she drives it rather than it driving her that the 997 does.

Seats, the heated 4 way sports are very comfortable on long journeys in all weathers. But seat choice is very personal.

As a 'daily" or when the mrs drives it i leave everything in standard.....then weekends or when solo you can press the fun buttons Sport/sportPlus (chrono is a must) noisey exhaust (I think this will be more of a requested feature given 991 is the last non-GT NA derivative, auto start/stop off. With all those pressed it's a very different feeling car. 20" alloys are fine as there is little noticeable difference but I'd recommend PASM is needed more With those for comfort settings on poor roads.

Fully agree with Frozen on the wheel, the sport design with PDK levers is a must. PDK with tiptronic ibuttons just ain't right. I loved my 996 tip, but the buttons on a 991 would drive me mad.

Good luck with the search.

20" wheels with PASM gives a comfortable ride, no need to confine your search to 19s if the car has it. Replacement tyres do seem to be a fair bit cheaper on 19s though.

A 991.1 C2 PDK does a great job of being a comfortable daily/tourer with an ability to change its character and become quite a sports car. The 3.4 needs revs to fly, but that in itself is rewarding and there's some payback with economy, emission and lower band road tax.

The standard seats are the 4-way sports seats, they have more side support than the 997 standard seats and are great all rounders. The standard sport button livens up response and stops the PDK changing up so much, it also seems to increase the engine sound in the cabin via the symposer, PSE makes the sound better outside the car, inside not so much. Sportplus as an option is more extreme and would be good for track days.

I wouldn't say it's the 'must have" that many feel it is in a 997, but tpc racing module to replace the standard PASM makes it even more comfortable when not pushing on and flatter and more agile when you are, either way the 20 inch wheels are no issue really and fill the arches better, although 19 inch would give a better ride on poor roads.

Cruise, parking sensors, heated seats, Bose all good 👍

18 way sports adaptive (heated) seats are the best. End of. If it will be a shared car I think 18-way adds the memory function :?:

Thanks very much for the replies; some good info. much appreciated :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stulees65
Back