Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Front Number Plate Plinth

I have smaller letters, misspaced, totally illegal plates but also have fully legal plates which I put in the boot when going for an Mot. I show them to the tester & he is happy they are in the car as what I do when the car leaves the garage is not their responsibility. Unless the police are sitting at the garage door when I leave there is no come back on them. Granted, not all testers may not have this attitude, but saves a lot of faffing about. Worth asking.

chicb said:
I have smaller letters, misspaced, totally illegal plates but also have fully legal plates which I put in the boot when going for an Mot. I show them to the tester & he is happy they are in the car as what I do when the car leaves the garage is not their responsibility. Unless the police are sitting at the garage door when I leave there is no come back on them. Granted, not all testers may not have this attitude, but saves a lot of faffing about. Worth asking.
Wow - with such an obvious failure and so easily fixed, he's risking his livelihood. It's not the police he needs to worry about - it's when VOSA are sat outside in a totally unmarked car. The MOT testers generally have a "feel" for these things though and will make a call on the day (if there's been a spate of inspections locally he may have insisted on changing the plates before it left).

My mate recently had a VOSA inspection - they sit and watch for a while then literally drive up and block in the last car as he pulls out and tell him to go back in and they basically re-test it. Totally messes up that day's schedule and p1sses off customers who are held up, but of course the reason is "safety first!" He got a warning (absolute bollocking) for a couple of very minor items he missed and when he was telling me about it the next day when I went for an MOT he was virtually still shaking! It really put the willies up him and I'd never seen him do an MOT so thoroughly in my life!

What I choose to do is cut the standard plinth down to precisely the correct size for each plate. That way it is a perfect fit, follows the curve of the bumper and gives a degree of protection from those who park by ear!!

I cut the end pieces off the plinth at each end then cut a section out of the remaining ends to give me the exact fit for the plate going on (don't forget to allow for the additional length the end pieces will add when calculating the overall length). Then bond the two ends back on and sand and paint it satin black to finish.

The DVLA guidelines state that there are minimum dimensions for the border of the plate when measured from the outside edge of the characters.
All the information is here ...

www.gov.uk/government/publications/vehicle-registration-numbers-and-number-plates

Here is a picture of before and after.

Attachments

• dsc_0378_123.jpg
    dsc_0378_123.jpg
    912.9 KB · Views: 3,423
Milo72 said:
When it comes to the MOT I'll attach the plate to the middle grill using plastic wing nuts and bolts.

Ah right, so does it matter if the fixings are, shall we say, bodged for the purposes of MOT day? Are there any MOT rules about how securely the reg plate must be fixed?
And you just peel off the Static Plate, get the car MOT'd, and replace the Static Plate once home, correct?

peterzoom said:
What I choose to do is cut the standard plinth down to precisely the correct size for each plate. That way it is a perfect fit, follows the curve of the bumper and gives a degree of protection from those who park by ear!!

I cut the end pieces off the plinth at each end then cut a section out of the remaining ends to give me the exact fit for the plate going on (don't forget to allow for the additional length the end pieces will add when calculating the overall length). Then bond the two ends back on and sand and paint it satin black to finish.

The DVLA guidelines state that there are minimum dimensions for the border of the plate when measured from the outside edge of the characters.

www.gov.uk/government/publications/vehicle-registration-numbers-and-number-plates

Park by ear ! :floor: :floor: Ah funny that made me laugh today that did

Counter Of Beans said:
Milo72 said:
When it comes to the MOT I'll attach the plate to the middle grill using plastic wing nuts and bolts.

Ah right, so does it matter if the fixings are, shall we say, bodged for the purposes of MOT day? Are there any MOT rules about how securely the reg plate must be fixed?
And you just peel off the Static Plate, get the car MOT'd, and replace the Static Plate once home, correct?

It must be secure but does not have to be bolted on.

Counter Of Beans said:
Milo72 said:

Yes officer that's correct....

peterzoom said:

That's look I wanted :thumb: Is that a 13" plate.

SGH said:
peterzoom said:

That's look I wanted :thumb: Is that a 13" plate.

Almost, the plate is 13.5 inches and the plinth is 13inches :thumbs:

I've attached my plate to a zunsport grille and brought two grilles so i can choose with or without with a 30 second swap.

Better without though :D

Attachments

• img_20170828_120308_489.jpg
    img_20170828_120308_489.jpg
    542.2 KB · Views: 1,056
I got a bodyshop to shorten mine, they cut the center section out and plastic welded it back.

Attachments

• 20181206_144747_113.jpg
    20181206_144747_113.jpg
    738.6 KB · Views: 1,033
Milo72 said:
I took mine off completely, had the wholes filled and repainted and bought a short static plate. It's the way to go.

That's neat .... looks good .... what type of plate is it ?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Retep
Back