Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Ramp ideas

I thought about getting some ramps (someone posted a link to a race ramp firm on here), but my greatest need is not to work underneath the car as such (except for oil changes), but to remove and swap the wheels, and access the brakes; in other words, I need a lift. As such I'm still thinking about the QuickJack.

I reverse my car onto some ancient inherited ramps

I have two trolley jacks, one under the front each side a bit at a time (helps if you have a helper) up higher than the ramps, onto axle stands.

Then trolley jack to the back under the engine/gearbox join up a bit higher then remove ramps and onto stands.

Job done.

Wasz I was just looking for a simpler solution as I don't have much space at either side of the car. It's a very tight squeeze to get jacks at the front. I'll nick these up and get in to do the plugs, check engine mounts and a few other jobs before I worry about the front

Obviously it depends on what you want to do with it, how much space you have, and what your budget it. But the lift that I have in our garage at work is probably the single best tool purchase I have made in the last 10 years It is absolutely brilliant. I think total cost with installation was probably somewhere around £3.5k.

MC

rdodger said:

I got a pair of these last fall. Car up on them as I type. Work great! Fit under even lowered car, store away against a wall taking up very little space. A little fiddly to get lined up, but no harder than a two post really. Lifts even and balanced. Perfect for wheel/brake work.

I've ended up going for a basic style ramp but in 3 pieces.
1st piece is a long slope to allow for lowered 911's to get onto the ramp, a starter ramp if you like
2nd is a sharper angle to get up to the required height of 300mm
And 3rd is a basic block for the wheel to sit on.

2 ramp pieces come off to leave the car sitting on the blocks so it's easier to get at the car all round as it'll probably end up on stands to get the wheels off.

I made them 325mm wide to allow for the wide wheels and it'll add a bit more stability.

I only got a start to them yesterday and only got halfway done as I'm basically making them from scrap at work. Mostly from 5-6mm sheet off cuts from the plasma so then I have to start and fold them and cut to suit obviously.

All this means it probably won't cost me a penny and it's right just for my job and space.

I love free stuff :floor:

The ideas good. But it's not finished yet :floor:

I'll get them done this week with a bit of luck. I want to get the rear up so I can do the plugs and maybe doctor the engine mounts

What about digging an inspection pit, I get plenty of use out of mine.

Grey996 said:
What about digging an inspection pit, I get plenty of use out of mine.

I'd say the wife would make sure I never got out of the pit if I started digging. :grin:

Tell her you're digging your own grave.

I've just remembered some ramps my Dad made when I was a kid. Used them for years and I used to use them too. Made from some square 4 by 4 blocks and 8 x 3 planks all mailed together. Proper did the trick for at least 10 years.

Just looking on google and can't find anything as bad as ours were, but there;s some good ideas here:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?rlz....62.62.1......1....1..gws-wiz-img.StVOIsesh4w

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
993gtnut
Back