Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

3 scares in one day

De Mort... as a biker you have the advantage of smelling the diesel spill before you see it, and of course you will know every pot hole and area of banding, where to avoid white lines and perhaps even tram lines on every road you regularly travel.... Yup perhaps the best lesson for a Porsche driver may be to spend some time on two wheels first...?

K11pol, before I would scrap a set of tyres, date code as mentioned and pressures as suggested, I would take a bit of time to straighten the steering and eyeball the four sidewalls alignment front to back and compare them on both sides of the car, might even grab the top of the wheel and shake the whole car if you are strong enough, perhaps bounce each of the four corners to give a rough check the shockers, or just drive down one of Aberdeen`s cobbled roads, if there are any left, while listening for anything loose... Whatever... hope you get it resolved easily.

Being an old guy I rotate the tyres on my old sports car with it`s even more ancient suspension design and back on the road I feel a difference immediately in that it does not track as it did before the change, taking some time to either I or the car settle into the "new" set up.. :?:

Is yours a .1 or .2? I've heard of another guy, serial 911 owner who was caught out by his surprisingly turbocharged feeling .2 C2S, and spun it, which he'd never done before. Said it feels a lot snappier.

Given all the factors above, I suggest that 4mm tread depth is just not enough to do anything but take extreme care in wet and cold conditions. With similarly worn tyres at the end of last summer, I was limited to about 60 mph on a streaming wet motorway. Above that it was virtually undriveable. A new set of boots transformed the car on wet roads.

An interesting link by De mort on tyre/tread depths.

It's an N/A so .1 and with it being a GTS the tyres are all less than 6 years old. The date code is something I got caught out with many years ago when I thought I was getting a good deal on a pair of pilot sports so aware of that.

It'll be the low temperature.

MPS4S are way better than Pzero as said above

Think most of the answers are already said & done,
I had a mate who stuffed his new c2 into the Armco on a straight wet road giving it a blip, they are a pendulum when they let loose.

My guess is heavy right foot & cold temperature's, I must admit I was pretty crap at saving them at Silverstone's Porsche facility in the wet.

Modern sporting cars like the Porsche have amazing suspension and levels of grip and we get used to it.

However, in the wet as others have said, aquaplaning can dramatically reduce levels of grip. The grip in these conditions (and even worse on ice) is really determined by the tyres and pretty independent of the car itself - you may be no better than any other car. Of course, this is a much larger difference between wet and dry than you might get from a basic hatchback.

Those of us who in their youth and beyond pushed our luck out there on two wheels ... and survived.... Learned faaaast to READ the road surface and how it changed from yard to yard, mile to mile, day to day, season to season, and part of that learning process may have involved gravel rash, which was a real pain when picking those little stones out from under the skin on one`s knees... Not something quickly forgotten..?

Road repairs I think known as overbanding, generally provide far less grip that the surrounding road surface best not to accelerate or brake on any of that..?

In Autmn the leaves can cause real issues even when the sun is shining as they can shelter the frost below which has already melted on the rest of the bare Tarmac

The same leaves once crushed to pulp by traffic do not provide a surface with much in the way of grip and less so when applying power out of the apex...

Bus routes in cities and perhaps more so bus stops can be diesel infected, tight corners likewise caused by diesel spills from over filled tanks, not much grip on diesel.... ouch!

The first rain shower after a long hot spell should be treated as if the road was covered in frost...especially on those bus or HGV routes and inner lanes of roads..

Sure some tyres are better than others, just as some drivers have a bit more understanding of the road surface than others.

Perhaps best to remember it is still possible for a great driver to spin the best handling car in the world on the very best tyres for the prevailing conditions... F1 drivers do it in the wet and the dry just about every weekend in the Summer.. :?:

Michelins are simply the best all round...very good in the damp and wet.

As people have said obviously verify correct tyre pressures.

At a minimum I would get a local Geometry done.

At best ( a long way, I know) but the boys at Centre Gravity will transform your car to the way it should be and better!! :thumb:

Ive done colossal speeds in the wet on my many trips to and from Germany on the autobahns (in my 993) over the years...
-Worn Pirellis=Lethal!
-Poor Geometery= Lethal!
-Properly set up=Fine!
-Centre Gravity set up= Fantastic!

Your GTS should be a lot better than a 993!

Coming form a 997 C4S, to the 430 BHP 991 engine, I'd say there's absolutely nowt wrong, other than the summer tyres, and the brand!

Mine is exactly the same in the wet and cold, the back end is all over the place with the right foot down. I'd only worry if it's like that in the dry with decent tyres or with winters fitted at this time of year.

The worse brand of tyre for winter, cold temps, wet roads and 2 wheel drive do not mix at all. And yes I'm also on Pirelli's which is also a big part of your problem.

get winter tyres!! I have them on mine and my 997 feels epic on them.

especially for the coming months. well worth doing and being in control rather than having a big one that could be a lot more expensive than a set of winters!

massive wide summer tyres are utter shite in this weather,

Mine lit up its rears as it went into 3rd gear coming off a slip road on the A3 tonight. Crossing the white lines was the main cause of it (and driving like a numpty). Traction control and a lift off brought everything back into line. I've got 4mm on my rear Pirelli's left. They are truly 💩 in the cold and wet.
Michelin's everyday when possible.

sideways said:
Mine lit up its rears as it went into 3rd gear coming off a slip road on the A3 tonight. Crossing the white lines was the main cause of it (and driving like a numpty). Traction control and a lift off brought everything back into line. I've got 4mm on my rear Pirelli's left. They are truly 💩 in the cold and wet.
Michelin's everyday when possible.

But you are "Sideways" :grin:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
964Turbo.3.3Mike
Back