Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Ramp ideas

NedHan79

I'm planning on making some ramps in the next week or 2. Atm it's basically going to be a pair of drive on jobs. Made mostly from 5-6mm mild steel folded into a 90 degree angle as I can get plenty of this at work to use. I'm also thinking of fitting a pair of bottle jacks in the ends so I can get more height when the cars backed or drove on. All fairly simple.

What I would like to know as there seem to be a few guys on here that are very 'switched on" is that if anybody has done this and has a nifty idea to lift the other axle? I'm very tight for space so a full length frame isn't feesable for storage reasons.

I'm open to all suggestions as I haven't actually started it yet, very busy at work and can't get a minute.

Is my only real option to go with the trolley jack and stands?

What I am thinking is a long shallow angle ramp to reverse the car onto in the garage and then lift the front and place stands all round to suit suspension work and the likes. Enough height is needed obviously for any other work requirements like brake pipes and possibly painting the floor back to new.

As usual all ideas welcome.

Thanks
Ned

Attachments

• a0292940_a14b_4eef_9cc0_33d2c06f8bc9_179.png
    a0292940_a14b_4eef_9cc0_33d2c06f8bc9_179.png
    772.8 KB · Views: 3,232
I can only get my car on ramps if I jack it up first, its too low to drive it up. I'm unsure about other peoples 996's in regard to this but I have seen these in your picture before and thought they were a good idea. I have also seen similar ones where you can remove the ramp part and give you more room to get under the car leaving the car just on the uprights.

My ideal ramps would be a long slope to get to the top then the extra jack up part like you are thinking, would save me about an hour for jacking the front up.

Hi, i modified my 2 standard ramps with bottle jacks i bought off ebay for 12 quid each, basically chopped the top flat part of the ramp out and welded in something very similar to what you have in the pic , they work a treat. I use these on the front then jack the rear up until my axle stands go under. :thumb:

Thanks guys. I've alrea been thinking that the bottle jacks aren't really any good as the wheels will have to come off so I'll end up in at that stage with the trolley jack and stands but at least there'll be plenty of height.
I had also thought about a removable section so that's definitely a goer.

My thinking is a couple of very small shallow ramps for the second axle and get the wheels up enough to get the jack in.

Is there anywhere round the front section that would support the weight if I was to make an adaptater for the jack. I'm thinking spreads the weight but want to stay away from suspension etc for ease of working.

It's good to see we're on the same page and also infrasilver, I hadn't factored that in lowering it as well. Might have been embarrassing trying to get it out of the garage again :grin:

I just reverse the car onto the ramps if i want to work on the front, i jack each side up a bit at a time it takes longer to do the front as i can't find anywhere to jack the whole thing in one go. |It still works well though.

I'd say that's what's going to happen Hooner butid like some way of supporting the chassis further forward so u can clean and fix everything, including the jacking points. It may be a case of going everything inside the wheel arch and forwards then stick the wheels back on, drive up the ramps and jack the rear up do the floor section.

I may just be overthinking the whole idea but a little thought might save a lot of hassle when under the car

infrasilver said:
I can only get my car on ramps if I jack it up first, its too low to drive it up. I'm unsure about other peoples 996's in regard to this but I have seen these in your picture before and thought they were a good idea.

Same with all of them. I have a couple of 3ft 8" x 3" planks i place on the 2nd 'rung'. Works perfect.

OP - why don't you just buy a pair then mod to suit your plan?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PAIR-OF-...-VEHICLE-LIFT-GARAGE-MAINTENANCE/310652401556

Those things are as cheap as chips Alex. I'd want something with a little more strength and width. Most of those are only for the lines of a 205 tyre.

I think I'll sketch something up here for a detachable style job and maybe see if I can get some time after work tomorrow to knock it up.

It's never going to be ground breaking stuff but it'll help with the jacking as I've just no room to get round the car when it's in the garage

I have something similar and have used them to death. The tyres are far wider than the ramps, but so what? :dont know:

I had a set of those and they are fine like Alex said, 250mm wide if I remember correct. You could alway weld a wider plate on top but really isn't needed.

They are a bargain to be honest but you will need a prank or similar to place a few rungs up.

Right, so, had a little doodle there with sizes and ideas. Basically it's going to have a 2 stage angle. First 1 based on the height and the length of the front bumper. This will be the starter ramp. I have allowed for the lowered car height so all should be good. After that's slightly steeper angle to get it up to 300mm. Should be a decent height to work from.
I'm planning on going maybe 300mm wise for stability. Also going to have a detachable set up so I can just remove the ramp part while the cars up.
The detached part that the wheel will sit on will be about 300mm all round with a bit of support round the base.

I have got good news on my back at the start of the week. I don't have to get surgery so I can now start to do a bit without fear of being off my feet for months but I still need to be careful and take it as easy as I can. I want to make working at the car as painless as possible

I saw those on YouTube earlier. Some excellent ideas but I just don't have the space for them.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back