Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Hot Oil Pressure Difference After Service

Anything that gets it from A to B quicker :lol:

MisterCorn said:
ballcock said:
I can't think of any scientific law that would agree with the above, not saying it doesn't happen, I just can't figure WHY .. unless it's down to how the pressure gauge or sender operates?
Anyway, my guage is as before, filled to just below max
With regards to higher pressure after the oil change it makes perfect sense to me .. higher hot visosity = higher idle oil pressure. And to be fair I believe I have gone from a W30 to a W50.

It also makes sense to me that the higher hot viscosity will protect higher mileage bearings ... Each to their own tho :p

I tend to agree. The implication from Robertb's post which followed yours was that it was somehow the fact that it was Millers oil which was used which caused the effect, both posts specifically mention the brand. In reality you would see the effect with any brand oil when changing to a thicker oil. I'm not saying that Millers is good or bad, just that it has precious little to do with the change in pressure.

MC

Ah right MC! I get your point now. Absolutely NOTHING todo with the brand of oil I put in , that was just a bit of extra (useless) info.
ANY W50 oil would have achieved the same results.

steve1 said:
By using thicker oil you are only increasing the reading on a gauge, the pressure increases in front of the bearings by reducing the flow across them, and reducing the oil throw up the bores.
you have to decide which is best, more flow with thinner oil or less flow with thicker oil.
Just got to wait for an expert now.
:grin:

Yes, good point to an extent, but when you reach the stage where you're liable to have less than one bar (on the one hot summers day we get in Dublin , stuck in traffic etc) then I would have felt that oil with a thicker HOT viscosity makes good sense.

ballcock said:
I can't think of any scientific law that would agree with the above, not saying it doesn't happen, I just can't figure WHY .. unless it's down to how the pressure gauge or sender operates?
Anyway, my guage is as before, filled to just below max
With regards to higher pressure after the oil change it makes perfect sense to me .. higher hot visosity = higher idle oil pressure. And to be fair I believe I have gone from a W30 to a W50.

It also makes sense to me that the higher hot viscosity will protect higher mileage bearings ... Each to their own tho :p

You're reading the oil viscosity wrong. The W beings to the first number. Like 0W or 5W

As for higher viscosity causing less flow, the pump sets the flow rate. The higher viscosity just means it has to work harder. But the higher viscosity is what keeps your bearing surfaces apart

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SondeMadiu
Back