Welcome to 911UK
The only place for Porsche, 911uk is the definitive enthusiast and resource site for the Porsche 911.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so join up today for full access to the site and benefit from latest member offers.

Porsche Classifieds
Sell Your Porsche on 911uk
Create a Free Classified Advert
Search Ads
Classified Adverts FAQ
Trade Classified Information
Buyer & Seller Fraud Protection
Consumer Rights Act
Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI)
Porsche Car Sourcing
Porsche Cars Wanted
Official Porsche Centre Reviews
Model
Stock
Porsche 911
991 : 2011- 15
997 : 2004- 76
996 : 1997-2005 30
993 : 1993-1998 4
964 : 1989-1993 3
Carrera 3.2 : 1983-1989 2
Carrera SC : 1977-1983 1
930 Turbo : 1975-1989 0
Early 911 : 1964-1977 3
Porsche Other Models
Classic : 1950-1965 0
Boxster : 1997- 16
Cayman : 2005- 18
Cayenne : 2003- 5
Macan : 2014- 4
Panamera : 2009- 1
912-914-924-928-944-968 2
959 - CarreraGT - RaceCar 0
Car Parts For Sale & Wanted
Other Items For Sale & Wanted
Wheels Tyres For Sale & Wanted
Number Plates For Sale Wanted

Porsche Services
Porsche Body Shop Repair
Paint Protection & Wrapping
Porsche Classic Insurance
Porsche Classic Parts
Porsche Classic Restoration
Porsche Design Collection
Porsche Engine Gearbox Rebuild
Porsche Heritage & History
Porsche News
Porsche Picture Gallery
Win a New Porsche 911

Porsche Parts
Body Parts, Body Styling
Brakes, Clearance
Electrical, Exhausts
Engine Cooling, Engine Electrical
Engine Rebuild, Heating Cooling
Interior Incar, Lighting
Rubber Seals, Service Parts
Steering, Suspension
Transmission, Workshop Tools
Early 911, 911 - 930, 928 - 968
964 - 993, 996 - 997, Boxster
Cayman, Cayenne, Panamera

Porsche Model Range
911 [991] 2011-Current
Porsche 911 [991]
911 [997] 2004-Current
Porsche 911 [997]
911 [GT] GT1-GT2-GT3
Porsche 911 [GT]
911 [996] 1997-2005
Porsche 911 [996]
911 [993] 1993-1998
Porsche 911 [993]
911 [RS] RS-RSR
Porsche 911 [RS]
911 [964] 1989-1993
Porsche 911 [964]
911 3.2 1983-1989
Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera
911 SC 1977-1983
Porsche 911 SC
911 [Early] 1964-1977
Porsche 911 [Early]
Boxster & Cayman
Porsche Boxster & Cayman
Cayenne & Panamera
Porsche Cayenne & Panamera

911uk Site Partners

AMS911

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:43 am    Post subject: 997 4 GTS Help with Purchase Reply with quote

Hi All,

Im new to the forum and haven't yet finalised purchase of the car. It will be my first Porsche and having driven both the 991.1 Carrera S and the 997.2. I'm actually leaning towards the 997.2 as I feel its simply a more special platform.

I come from a background of BMW M cars so fancy a change and just wanted your opinion as I'm being offered a car which I feel would be perfect for me after looking at certain options that I'd like on the car the GTS ticks pretty much all of the options.

Now to the car... its Basalt Black, PDK, 30K miles, it has the full leather dash, sports Chrono, sports exhaust, and is in fairly good condition with 5 owners. I'm being offered it for £65,000. What id like to know is if this is a reasonable price. They are fairly rare to come by especially with it being the 4 GTS.

Also I have been advised that its possible to have the car actually drive in 2wd if you use the handbrake and have it up 1 click, has anyone heard of this being the case before? This information was actually from a reputable Porsche mechanic who explained that if the handbrake is 1 click up only the rear axle is engaged and not the front.

Please do let me know your thoughts as any information would be helpful. Thanks

T8
General
General

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to 911uk

There's a lot of love for the 997 GTS on here with it being generally recognised as the 'sweetspot' car of the watercooled era.

2wd/4wd is a matter of preference.

The market for all 911s is very flat at the moment so guesstimating values is difficult.

There was a lengthy discussion about it very recently:

Click Here --> http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=131960&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=997+gts

Regarding the handbrake click thing I'd heard something of this before but feel sure that if it is possible it's something that should only be done for a specific reason and not used as feature for a everyday driving.
ex 1978 Silver 924 Manual

pzero
General
General

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

T8 wrote:

Regarding the handbrake click thing I'd heard something of this before but feel sure that if it is possible it's something that should only be done for a specific reason and not used as feature for a everyday driving.

See --> http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?p=426190

T8
General
General

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 997 4 GTS Help with Purchase Reply with quote

AMS911 wrote:

Now to the car... its Basalt Black, PDK, 30K miles, it has the full leather dash, sports Chrono, sports exhaust, and is in fairly good condition with 5 owners. I'm being offered it for £65,000. What id like to know is if this is a reasonable price. They are fairly rare to come by especially with it being the 4 GTS.

You don't mention the service history. This is THE key consideration, closely followed by current condition. 'Fairly good' is not desirable in 911 world and will affect value considerably.

Also, what warranty would come with the car. Question
ex 1978 Silver 924 Manual

Tobyone
Spa-Francorchamps

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 997 4 GTS Help with Purchase Reply with quote

T8 wrote:
AMS911 wrote:

You don't mention the service history. This is THE key consideration, closely followed by current condition. 'Fairly good' is not desirable in 911 world and will affect value considerably.

Also, what warranty would come with the car. Question

I agree as 65k on a car in 'fairly good' condition is not a good start.
65k at 30k miles I would expect it to be in exceptional condition.
Warranty yes a must spending that sort of money.

FZP
Paul Ricard

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great choice of car. Just curious as to the 2WD/AWD portion of your question. Externally, other than badging and the red stripe at the rear, the cars are both wide bodied. So it comes down to what you prefer, wide bum with no red srtipw and RWD or wide bum WITH red stripe and AWD.
Pricewise these cars are spec sensitive, to delve deeper into it, I think it would be helpful to understand with a full spec sheet.
On face value, I at 66k there is some room to move as the usual suspects have had some of their cars for a while now. Service history would need to be all OPC for me at that end of the game too.
Unless it's an OPC car, I'd still go for a PPI as a point of negotiation with what they find during the inspection. At that price point isle want the car to be showroom fresh, even though it's a 6+ year old car. It concerns me that your description isn't immaculate.
Enjoy the search as you only get to do it for then first time once.

HSC911
Long Beach

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome AMS911

Thumb

squelch
Nürburgring

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a little up on owners (this bothers some people more than others, shamefully me included) but many people say that with more owners it's been more frequently pampered with fresh enthusiasm and love with each new owner...

For context there are currently only 2 997 4GTS's on the Porsche Approved website and one is a Cab. The Coupe is a 2011, Basalt Black, PDK with 32.5k and.... 5 owners..... Hang on a minute - am I putting 2 and 2 and making 4 here....?

Anyway, it's £67,333 and looks to have a good spec with Sports Chrono Plus, Dynamic Lights (mine has this and it's great), Bose, Heated Seats, Red belts etc. All of these would put it in the desirable spec category in my book. (If it is the same car and you can get it for £65k then be quick as they'll have likely offered other interested parties the same deal.)

A few bits have been moving in the last couple of weeks or so and with the spec above and the Porsche warranty I think that's not a bad buy and will go soon too.

Obviously condition and history should be scrutinised closely and due to its age it should have had its six year service including PDK service.

They are awesome and I love mine (goes round Brands Hatch pretty well too). Good luck and welcome to the forum!
Gone but not forgotten: 996 C4S, 964, 924

BChivs
Spa-Francorchamps

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There’s a nice 4GTS available with Sytner Select Leicester.....

https://www.sytner.co.uk/car-search/9428788-1148990-porsche-911-gts-2dr-pdk-coupe/

boardingnath997
Trainee

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BChivs wrote:

https://www.sytner.co.uk/car-search/9428788-1148990-porsche-911-gts-2dr-pdk-coupe/

My Lordy...what a stunning looking 997

Bund
Nürburgring

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plastic dash.

spongebob squarepants
Shanghai

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:33 am    Post subject: Re: 997 4 GTS Help with Purchase Reply with quote

AMS911 wrote:
Hi All,

Im new to the forum and haven't yet finalised purchase of the car. It will be my first Porsche and having driven both the 991.1 Carrera S and the 997.2. I'm actually leaning towards the 997.2 as I feel its simply a more special platform.

I come from a background of BMW M cars so fancy a change and just wanted your opinion as I'm being offered a car which I feel would be perfect for me after looking at certain options that I'd like on the car the GTS ticks pretty much all of the options.

Also I have been advised that its possible to have the car actually drive in 2wd if you use the handbrake and have it up 1 click, has anyone heard of this being the case before? This information was actually from a reputable Porsche mechanic who explained that if the handbrake is 1 click up only the rear axle is engaged and not the front.

Please do let me know your thoughts as any information would be helpful. Thanks

Interesting you preferred the GTS 997 over a 991 S, the 997 wins in looks and steering feel, the 991 wins everywhere else by an absolute mile. Just make sure you're really sure before parting with the coin Question

The 991 currently represents the bargain of the 911 world, with some big depreciation recently. Id doubt that the 997 GTS represents any good value for money over the 997S in real terms, and 65K is too much for a reasonable condition car!

Understand on the special platform, I agree, a 991S can be a bit boring, I went the special route on the 991 with basically a GTS spec for S money, there are a few about, glad I did as I was bord with the 997 range, in reality the more modern cars a way better drivers car and sound amazing

Im just off to buy a tin hat
Bandit

991 C2S X51 powerkit PDK in racing yellow, PCCB, PDCC, PSE, Sports design kit, ducktail.
EX 997.2 Carrera 4S PDK
EX 997.2 Carrera S PDK
EX 993 C2 manual in guards red
EX 997 C2 gen 2 PDK
EX 993 Targa
EX 993 Carrera 4 manual
EX 996 3.4 Cabriolet

MaxA
Barcelona

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pzero wrote:
T8 wrote:

See --> http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?p=426190

I'd forgotten about that. Last time round, I even managed to find a video where the feature was described. The name will come to me in a moment (a well known US motoring journalist). I did go and try it in an empty car park, but a hot day in Dubai is a bad time to test the limits of rear grip... it just grips (maybe I wasn't brutal enough).

What I do know is that you don't need to pull any handbrake to get a 4S to spin on it's own axis in the snow. It goes round very easily and just shoots up four fountains of snow. Grin

AMS911

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for the replies appreciated very much !!

My apologies for not being more precise with the details...

So the car was as Squelch identified at OPC Chester and I have placed a holding deposit...

The car is in fact in excellent condition, except for the driver seat (a few light scratches in the headrest, due to the previous owner wearing a cap I assume) and the steering wheel which had seen some sweaty palms. Going off the rest of the interior it was mint, including the door cars, centre arm, gear lever, rear seats and the headlining which are usually tell tale signs of mileage.

Spec wise I believe the car to be heavily spec'd as it comes with Sports Chrono Plus, Dynamic Lights, Bose, Heated Seats, Guards Red Belts, Full Leather Dash, Sunroof, Sports steering wheel with the paddle shift and also the Porsche VTS system. I believe the only option really missing is the Dynamic suspension with the 20mm drop and LSD (not sure if this could be optioned on the 4GTS?)

The exterior of the car is immaculate in Basalt Black as I believe the previous owner has had the car wrapped in full PPF from front to back. So there are no scuffs or stone chips in the paint work.

Porsche Chester agreed to replace the steering wheel with a brand new unit and also fix the driver seat (which I have received pictures of and now also looks immaculate). They also included a private reg as part of the deal. All in all I'd say the car is excellent.

In terms of the 997 GTS vs the newer 991, I had driven a 991 previously which was an S and came with plenty of options and a sticker price of 98K. Imho I didn't like the drive and it just didn't feel special. I have yet to actually drive the 4GTS and the deal is subject to test drive, but on first impressions I feel it is more special and I actually prefer the interior.

tom_nieto
Monza

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BChivs wrote:

I’m now such a sucker for dark blue cars. That’s a lovely looking machine!

AMS911

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AMS911 wrote:
Thank you all for the replies appreciated very much !!

My apologies for not being more precise with the details...

So the car was as Squelch identified at OPC Chester and I have placed a holding deposit...

The car is in fact in excellent condition, except for the driver seat (a few light scratches in the headrest, due to the previous owner wearing a cap I assume) and the steering wheel which had seen some sweaty palms. Going off the rest of the interior it was mint, including the door cars, centre arm, gear lever, rear seats and the headlining which are usually tell tale signs of mileage.

Spec wise I believe the car to be heavily spec'd as it comes with Sports Chrono Plus, Dynamic Lights, Bose, Heated Seats, Guards Red Belts, Full Leather Dash, Sunroof, Sports steering wheel with the paddle shift and also the Porsche VTS system. I believe the only option really missing is the Dynamic suspension with the 20mm drop and LSD (not sure if this could be optioned on the 4GTS?)

The exterior of the car is immaculate in Basalt Black as I believe the previous owner has had the car wrapped in full PPF from front to back. So there are no scuffs or stone chips in the paint work.

Porsche Chester agreed to replace the steering wheel with a brand new unit and also fix the driver seat (which I have received pictures of and now also looks immaculate). They also included a private reg as part of the deal. All in all I'd say the car is excellent.

In terms of the 997 GTS vs the newer 991, I had driven a 991 previously which was an S and came with plenty of options and a sticker price of 98K. Imho I didn't like the drive and it just didn't feel special. I have yet to actually drive the 4GTS and the deal is subject to test drive, but on first impressions I feel it is more special and I actually prefer the interior.

^^ I also forgot to mention its actually a 4 owner car and has 32.5K on the clock. Full OPC history and will come with the 111 inspection and warranty etc.

I believe my initial description was due to me seeing the car as it had arrived, hadn't actually even been through the wash bay, but I'm glad I saw it as it was before any changes were made.

MaxA
Barcelona

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It reads well: not too many have such a high spec. I wouldn't worry about the suspension as a TPC Racing DSC box works wonders on the PASM (it's an invisible mod so it doesn't count), and I beleive that all 4S have a rear LSD.

Cheib
Spa-Francorchamps

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you’re enjoying your new GTS OP. I’ve got a 2wd manual GTS coupe and love it....hard to put my finger on it but it feels more sporty than a 991 S. I think with the 991 S it feels like a Grand Tourer unless you really push it...then it feels like a Sport Car (and a very capable one). The 997 GTS on the other hand feels like a SPorts Car at lower speeds.
Lava Orange 991.2 GT3 Manual
Sport Classic Grey Macan Turbo PP

AMS911

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all.. Thank you for the replies. Purchase has yet to be finalised as the car is going through all of its prep work. I have asked for a VAL reading to confirm mileage from the odometer and ECU. Can someone please reconfirm/explain the results? From my understanding there is only operating hours in Range 1 and 2. Range 3-6 all show 0. Total operating hours are 1001. The cars mileage on the odometer is 32195.

From my understanding roughly 1000 operating hours = 30K

VAL Results 2.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  9.07 KB
 Viewed:  758 Time(s)

VAL Results 2.png

Val Results 1.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  38.57 KB
 Viewed:  758 Time(s)

Val Results 1.png

Magic919
Suzuka

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are overrevs, which happened recently, or some of them did.

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: