Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Power steering fluid

Endoman

Albert Park
I originally used just normal ATF. Then post '96 Porsche advised Pentosin CHF 11s, now it appers to be Pentosin CHF 202.
Some say 11s is too thin and others say 202 is synthetic and will begger the seals.
As I sprayed the garage floor with 202 due to a leaking pipe. I'm in a quandry as what to use.
202 is available much cheaper at VW/ Audi outlets and 11s is a bit more difficult to find.

The well known seller of oils in Redruth Cornwall sells the Pentosin CHF 11S and the CHF 202 for £14.95 - 1 Litre.
The CHF 11s and 202 are both synthetic and can be mixed with each other but not with other hydraulic oils.
Volvo and BMW dealers will also stock the 202.
I've had the 202 in my 993 for 12 years and all is good.

I've only ever used ATF Dexron II which is what it came with when new. I had the rack refurbished 3 years ago in the UK and that's what was in it when they sent it back. Never had a problem.

ATB :)

Thanks for the info all is good as long as you don't mix CHF and ATF it would appear so as it's been flushed already I'll use 202, 12yrs should see me out.

chaps this is timely......my power steering system is empty, or at least the engine end is. I'll assume there remains some old oil in the rack.

What's the recommendation in terms of approach?, just top up with new?, or drain rack and fill up with new?.

I'm guessing given the above I should just get myself some 202?.

Cheers
Trev

Hi Trev,

When I got my refurbished rack back I used a turkey baster to flush the rack. Then with the car jacked up at the back flushed the system through by filling up the container and allowing gravity to do it's stuff. Collected the fluid at the front where the pipes were disconnected. Used about 1/2 a litre of Dexron and it was clear and clean when it came out. Put the pipes back, topped up with new fluid and turned the engine over a few times with the DME out. Turned the steering lock to lock while the car was up in the air and engine turning over. Then ran the engine up, all OK and working fine.

Piece of cake with your skills Trev :thumb:

ATB :)

Ahhhh super DG that's great, sometimes you just need a strategy :thumb:

Learning from others who have done it is what this forum is all about.

Cheers
Trev

Looks a lot more professional than my turkey baster :lol:

ATB

I've drained all the fluid from the res in the engine bay so I think I'll unclip a hose on the rack and drain as much as I can then refill.

Trev

202 is available from VW dealers for 1/2 Porsche price evidently but I couldn't be *rsed trying to park there and they don't give you coffee and a nice smile.

Endoman said:
202 is available from VW dealers for 1/2 Porsche price evidently but I couldn't be *rsed trying to park there and they don't give you coffee and a nice smile.

Could have got a taxi and stopped at Starbucks on the way home :dont know:

:grin:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Geoffrey Fickle
Back