Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Recommended Coffin arms / control arms manufacturer

cbriggs1978

Evening all, I have searched and many suggestions appear to be a few years old so thought it worth asking again.

I am thinking about changing the coffin and control arms on the 2002 targa, I dont have knocking but the ones on the car do seem to be original, the car tramlines quite badly, the geo was done when i got the car last year and I am about to put a full set of new boots on...... so it seems a good time to do this!

I have found, through searching online, several options, but am lost which ones are best to go for. Car is not tracked and i am not bothered about making it handle like a go kart!

What are your recommendations! (and suggested place to get from!)

Thanks

Chris

Got a full set of both off spyder performance on eBay a few weeks back, no complaints.

You would change the coffin arms for 3 reasons ..

1/ The bush in them is debonding , the diagonal arm attatches to this and if its excessive debonding .. 50 % i belive then its an mot fail .

2/ The ball joint has worn and there is play so again an mot fail or the boot has split .

3/ The locateing bolt is seized and you cant adjust the geo to get it in spec , you will need a bolt as well in this case .

Diagonal arms are changed because they knock .. there is no play but it is annoying and Not an mot fail .

If none of the above apply then there is no point in changeing them.

Tram line is down to geo and tyres , thrust angle imho ... ill also add tyre pressures .

Were to get them .. ECP would be a good start .. after that google .

Hartech do a good line in re-furbed arms, they're based on genuine arms so you don't get the potential geo issues that a certain batch of Meyle ones had, for example.

Good prices - a set has been running for two years on my car..

Them chep £50ers off eBay.

Thanks for the replies, there is a "small" amount of play in the front ball joints and signs the bushes have split slightly (but no play (garage words!) and, with them appearing original, I just didnt expect them to be in good condition! Do these things last more than 100k miles?

cbriggs1978 said:
Thanks for the replies, there is a "small" amount of play in the front ball joints and signs the bushes have split slightly (but no play (garage words!) and, with them appearing original, I just didnt expect them to be in good condition! Do these things last more than 100k miles?

100k! I didn't think they last 20k on the front!

I used Meyle, no complaints so far.

Chris at centre gravity is happy with meyle. If they're good enough for him, they are good enough for me

skinny_monkey said:
Chris at centre gravity is happy with meyle. If they're good enough for him, they are good enough for me

CG were also happy with the Spyder parts that they fitted for me and I was happy with the price.

So far so good.....

maldren said:
CG were also happy with the Spyder parts that they fitted for me and I was happy with the price.
So far so good.....

Same here, one of my car's rear coffin arms is delaminating, so I've ordered Spyder parts (tuning forks too), and Center Gravity will fit and do a new geo for me.

wasz said:
cbriggs1978 said:

100k! I didn't think they last 20k on the front!

I used Meyle, no complaints so far.

I've just changed my rears and I suspect they were the originals.....at 132k.

Dont forget to wax them! CG use Wurth underbody wax on them. It is ally corrosion tracking under the rubber that causes delamination of the bush. Only began appearing when Porsche stopped waxing them from new according to CG.

Ian

Paynewright said:
Dont forget to wax them! CG use Wurth underbody wax on them. It is ally corrosion tracking under the rubber that causes delamination of the bush. Only began appearing when Porsche stopped waxing them from new according to CG.

Ian

and lots of ally grease on the bolts too.

maldren said:
Paynewright said:

Ian

and lots of ally grease on the bolts too.

Agree grease/aluminium anti seize/ copper slip on the bolt shaft, but to clarify not on the thread as it leads to incorrect torquing. There are special products for that I think.

in my case, I coated the bolt shaft and then after I torqued the nuts, I covered them and everything in the wheel arch in liberal amounts of bilt hamber dynax.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back