Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Quandry, 996 or 997?

Poker2009 said:
If it were possible I would have all 996 crushed into a cube, so I never have to see those lights again.

Not much chance of that seeing the 986 Boxster had the same lights :wink:

996 C4s all the way... I'll demonstrate using pictures

Edit. Oops it appears I've posted a picture of a Mini instead of a 997.1... My apologies, The headlights are so similar

Attachments

• desecbdxyaafjz__435.jpg
    desecbdxyaafjz__435.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 2,154
  • mini_e_concept_2009_0_165.jpg
    mini_e_concept_2009_0_165.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 2,154
Hi all,

Thank you for all the replies, love the banter :p completely expected and nice to see the passion for each model.

Lots to think about... will check that youtube video as well so thank you for that tip.

Can I just confirm though that the 3.8 engine has an altered/updated/uprated IMS configuration, and that therefore if I am looking at 3.8 engines the chances of engine issues (bore scoring and general wear and tear aside) would be less than a 3.6 996.2?

And also a tiptronic 3.8 will have the updated box over a 3.6 997/996 or 3.4? I hadnt really considered the tiptronic 996's as the system is quite old and not particularly sophisticated (its an auto really right?) but would consider it if the 997.1 3.8's come with the updated box.

thanks

Early Gen1 'S' with the Tip' box are generally reckoned to be the most likely to have issues. Later Gen1 cars were better but to minimise risk a gen2 car, 3.6 or 3.8, would be a safer bet.

The Tiptronic box is a standard automatic but one of the best around - especially when used in 'M' mode. That said, it doesn't compare well with dual-clutch systems like PDK.

Both the 996 and 997 are great cars

I had a 996 C2 2004 manual box, added stainless exhaust and very much enjoyed the car.
The interior was not falling apart did not feel cheap and overall the car had been well looked after. It felt more than quick enough for me and being a vanilla model with a few nice extras it just felt like a small nimble sports car to me. Never fell in love with the turbo style headlights but smiled everytime I drove it.

I now have a 997.2 C2S. It is newer looking inside, not 991 etc. Did not initially like the PDK it was a slow burner but now all good with that. I prefer the front end but just subjective to the viewer. More than fast enough but if I bought again I would have gone manual gearbox. Mine was a 997.2 showroom car from Exeter so has some nice extras.

Both cars are great - if you can source a good 996 with IMS done maybe a borescope for peace of mind not too high a mileage, maybe recent clutch done you will love it. They are still very good value but I suspect that as time rolls on the good ones will only creep up in price. The cheapest ones are the price they are for a reason.

Then again the 997 gen 1 is not too much more in funds and again buying carefully will give miles of smiles.

Take your time buying is part of the experience and the fun if any doubts walk away and wait. If you get the chance drive both versions if you are able to.

On both ocassions that I bought I just knew they were for me.

If possible join a local Porshce club and they may be able to help.

Regards

Hi.

Likely my Arctic Silver C2S (Manual, 86k) will be up for sale soon around the 20(ish)k mark. Boring story but I have to either let go of my TVR or Pork, so whichever sells first I keep the other.
Welcome to PM me if you wish to discuss.

a1butch said:
Hi.

Likely my Arctic Silver C2S (Manual, 86k) will be up for sale soon around the 20(ish)k mark. Boring story but I have to either let go of my TVR or Pork, so whichever sells first I keep the other.

What's the TVR? I still haven't scratched that itch!

Porkaholic said:
Check out Jay Emm on Cars YouTube, Your first Porsche 911? 9964s vs 997.2 C2, been around a while so prices not quite accurate but it's quite interesting,
not childish, depressing or even a little bit silly! Hopefully non controversial either :thumb:

Thank you for the suggestion, it was a good watch. Shame it was a 997.2 as those are still out of my reach, but a good watch and not at all childish which is unusual on youtube :thumbs:

Here's a link for anybody that hasnt seen it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHITAXR8Tu4

T8 said:
Early Gen1 'S' with the Tip' box are generally reckoned to be the most likely to have issues. Later Gen1 cars were better but to minimise risk a gen2 car, 3.6 or 3.8, would be a safer bet.

The Tiptronic box is a standard automatic but one of the best around - especially when used in 'M' mode. That said, it doesn't compare well with dual-clutch systems like PDK.

Thank you T8, is there a way to distinguish the updated engines in the 3.6 base models? from what I have read they are post 2006 model year, which I assume would mean from 2007 reg in the UK is that correct?

Hertsdriver said:
Thank you T8, is there a way to distinguish the updated engines in the 3.6 base models? from what I have read they are post 2006 model year, which I assume would mean from 2007 reg in the UK is that correct?

Yes, you want to get a car with an engine number later than

M96 / 0569507475

ie. A Model Year 2006 car or later so '55 Reg' onwards in the UK would be safe although some MY 2005 cars were produced after that number.

The last 5 numbers (e.g) 07475 or later are the important ones as this is when the the latest IMS shaft and bearing revision was fitted.

tom_nieto said:
a1butch said:
Hi.

What's the TVR? I still haven't scratched that itch!

Griffith 500. I'm having second thoughts about selling it now!

Hertsdriver said:
Just to update I have been looking around a fair bit, but have now sold my Part ex privately so have money buring a hole in my pocket....

if anyone see's a Gen 1 C2 997 for sale please let me know!

Cheers :thumb:

Hi, I have my gen 1 C2S available privately if any interest (appreciate its not a C2).
I will sending to my local dealer on SOR in April as will not have the space or time to handle a sale.
Welcome to PM me and I can run through the details.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bristolsparks
Back