Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Advice on buying 997 convertible

If you're looking to get 'into' (soonish) and 'out of' (in a year or two) a 911 convertible at around 30-35k (I don't recall your budget), then I'd say you need to find the ideal purist car, which you'll have the best chance of shifting on in a while.

It seems to me, then, that you should get a 997.2 (3.8 DFI) C2S, manual, in a nice plain colour (black, grey, silver) with a decent interior (not red, beige or grey) and some choice options such sports seats, sports wheel, PSE, Turbo rims (as everyone except me seems to love them), garage queen, with low miles and a recent detail and polish, and no mods at all (except the body colour painted console and maybe seat backs, as these are cool).

And then don't use it much. And don't track it. Just go to shows and meets on weekends.

I did not do this, so I might be wrong, but then - with respect - I don't intend to sell up in a year or so.

Got to have heated seats in a convertible in UK! I would also make sure to get the sport plus seats as said.

I went for Gen2 3.6 manual, no PASM, I have absolutely no regrets whatsoever.

I love the thing. Aesthetically it appears to be on stilts, but that doesn't really bother me when I'm wringing it's neck through a constant radius corner.

The 997.1 interior feels much more dated. (I accept Gen2 is not a patch on the 9x1 interior)

Go for it. I seem to alternate between convertibles and coupes. I bought a 997.1 Turbo 6MT a few years back and it's lovely to drive with the top down. I agree adaptive sports seats are worth it. I wouldn't worry if a car doesn't have the Sports option as I retro fitted mine at an OPC last year, the chrono clock couldn't be fitted but the rest was and I paid about £1.1k. I also fitted a short shifter. The one option I don't have is heated seats and I really miss it. There are threads on OEM retro fitting it at an OPC but it is prohibitively expensive. I'm toying with the idea of going aftermarket at a cost of £350 and hiding the button somewhere. Good luck with the search, it's part of the fun.

Counter Of Beans said:
Some very sensible advice on this thread.
My opinion: I just couldn't live with a Gen 1 997 because of the issues with the engine. I know it's a small % affected, and I know Hartech can rebuild failed engines and make them bulletproof. BUT, I'm rather risk averse, and I just couldn't be doing with the hassle of sorting out a rebuild - getting the car sent oop North, waiting weeks or months for the job to finish, all that.

So, my advice: aim for a really good Gen 2, even if you have to stretch the budget. Obviously PDK vs. manual will be down to your own preference. Don't discount non-S cars. They are cheaper and just as capable in the real world as an "S".

If you have the cash, now is a fantastic time to buy - the market is very slow, and cabs are cheaper in winter. Enjoy the hunt, whatever you decide!

I have a GEN1 997 c4s and never had the slightest problem.
The bores are not scored and had it borescoped when I brought it and 2 years later at a service and yep all fine.
Just because you have a gen1 car does not mean it will go pop at all.

The tip box is a bit schlooooow yes I absolutely agree I drive mine using the rockers and never set off in second, still no idea who's idea at Porsche thought that was a good idea.

Come on all stop knocking the gen1 cars

Tobyone said:

:grin: Makes a change from 20 years of knocking the 996.

alex yates said:
Tobyone said:

:grin: Makes a change from 20 years of knocking the 996.

Yeah thats true.
Had one of those and that gave not the slightest problem either. :thumbs:

:thumbs:

Wow - thanks for all the replies. Some very useful advice there.

I've had a mix of autos and manuals. My preference would be a manual, and I do prefer the wider look of the C4s.

I guess my main concern would be buying a gen 1 at say £25k, and then being met with the prospect of a £10k engine rebuild (although it does seem pretty rare), v shelling out the additional money now and buying a gen 2.

Difficult one to call - ideally I'd spend the £25k (not too worried about the looks v the gen 2) but with peace of mind of a previous engine rebuild or the option to purchase an OPC warranty.

Does the PSE really make a difference? Agree that the hardback seats look much better. However, if I opt for a gen 1 with engine rebuild (quite difficult to find), it then makes it more difficult to be choosy about spec

dom_gg said:
Wow - thanks for all the replies. Some very useful advice there.

I've had a mix of autos and manuals. My preference would be a manual, and I do prefer the wider look of the C4s.

I guess my main concern would be buying a gen 1 at say £25k, and then being met with the prospect of a £10k engine rebuild (although it does seem pretty rare), v shelling out the additional money now and buying a gen 2.

Difficult one to call - ideally I'd spend the £25k (not too worried about the looks v the gen 2) but with peace of mind of a previous engine rebuild or the option to purchase an OPC warranty.

Does the PSE really make a difference? Agree that the hardback seats look much better. However, if I opt for a gen 1 with engine rebuild (quite difficult to find), it then makes it more difficult to be choosy about spec

Just take your time and don't buy the first thing you see.
Easy to get carried away with he first nice looking car.
I brought a Gen1 c4s GT silver, factory aerokit, sport chrono, etc etc. low milage. brought it 2 years ago for 40k and was offered 38 for it by my OPC.
So worth getting a good one, and get it checked out

dom_gg said:

The gen 1 is easier/cheaper to make the exhaust sportier with the Gundo hack, so not a disaster if PSE isn't on the spec sheet. It does sound good though, so would be a deciding factor between two otherwise equal cars.

You can get an OPC warranty on a gen 1 still and this is transfereable between private individuals (so no dealer sales). This might give peace of mind and broaden your search to include warrantied cars as well as rebuilt ones. It depends on how you want to play it. No modifications allowed at all (my Bluetooth kit would invalidate the warranty!).

Heated sports seats would be high on the list for me! They're lovey and they make a top down drive on a cold day really great. Expensive to retro fit.

The point being that it's worth holding out for a car with the right spec as retrofitting certain options is not very economical.

Take your time and enjoy the hunt!

I looooove the PSE on the Gen 1, much more of a satisfying howl and you will LOVE it with the top down going through tunnels!

I am on my second 997.1 4s cab with no issues to report on either car. I waited for about 9 months for the right car to come up the second time around but it will so just wait it out when it feels right.

Heated seats as said are a must for me in a cab, there's nothing like a cold crisp sunny winter morning drive with the top down and the seats on. If you are planning to mod your car then don't get too hung up on PSE as the exhaust will end up on the mod list anyway but it does sound great if you get a car with it.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LB_85
Back