Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

cant understand

Another red car which was so so..... I guess I just like red cars :lol:

ATB :)

Attachments

• img_20190127_wa0002_152.jpg
    img_20190127_wa0002_152.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 3,216
Yes, lived in Kuwait for just short of 19 years arrived in 1992. Bought both my 964 C4 Targa and my 993 Cab there, great value for money at the time. Good times....

I remember Ferraris being parked up for sale covered in sand dust in the late 90s in Kuwait City. And there was a curfew on the streets at night. I chucked the transparencies out last year - way before digital cameras were commonplace.

tyinsky said:
Yes, lived in Kuwait for just short of 19 years arrived in 1992. Bought both my 964 C4 Targa and my 993 Cab there, great value for money at the time. Good times....

I remember Ferraris being parked up for sale covered in sand dust in the late 90s in Kuwait City. And there was a curfew on the streets at night. I chucked the transparencies out last year - way before digital cameras were commonplace.

To be honest I don't remember the curfews but remember heavily armed check points all over the place, but yes many top end cars were covered in dust in Kuwait city. This was probably the early 2000's with the lead up to Gulf war 2 "in search of WMD" in 2003. I was there when it kicked off, watched all the news reporters who had set up on the roof of the Kuwait Sheraton hotel don their hard hats and leave the roof. My companies head office was across the road looking down on it. The following weeks were... interesting, especially when the air raid sirens sounded off for the incoming Scuds. I had a mate who was assigned to the Kuwaiti army manning the Patriot anti missile batteries, he had a few stories to tell.

I remember many high end cars covered in dust at Dubai airport, the owners had all done a runner. This was after the Iraqi invasion of Kuwait in 1990 and although Dubai never admitted it their booming economy bubble burst, it did of course sort it's self out with help from Abu Dahbi.

Memories of a previous life.

Nowt wrong with Guards Red. Iconic colour end of. Looks better on a NB than a WB. Needs a dark interior (black NOT moody blue as that kills all exterior colours)

All that said,.it's top dough. An early car with no AC. We've seen cars go a lot cheaper and personally I'd buy one needing work and do it right then you know what you've got. The recent auction car that someone on here picked up was the hidden gem - low price, needs a bit of fettling but a thicker history file than yellow pages.

The more you pay the less you drive it. It is Sponge's old car that he owned in hours rather than months :roll: but his reason if I recall was how outdated and agricultural the car felt compared to a modern 911 proving that it's not easy going backwards. Might be why they've had it 5 times since 2002.

993 are worth a punt at 30s as you can use/abuse them at that price. Anything more you've also got some serious modern metal in the garage to enjoy, but when you fancy a touch of nostalgia you can don the socks, sandals and string vest (if no AC) and take the old girl for a drag round the block for a pint of milk before it rains :grin:

Oh yes, it would be foolish of me not to mention declining values in the classic car sector
ByrUfK5C.jpg

:thumb:

He's a lovely motor, BUT no A/C, no hardbacks, grey interior. IIRC I bought in the low 30's, sold back for similar, the owner after I did the same, just at a higher cost.
Zingers is correct, I hated the drive, once you've had modern you can't turn back, it's a little 997 v 991, you think the 997 is the bees until you drive the 991, there's no way back.
The price? credit to Tom and co for sticking to their guns, personally in this market it's surely too high. Id want the hardbacks, air con and more desirable interior for that money, as to Guards not being desirable, please you're having a laugh surely!!!

He's a lovely motor, BUT no A/C, no hardbacks, grey interior. IIRC I bought in the low 30's, sold back for similar, the owner after I did the same, just at a higher cost.
Zingers is correct, I hated the drive, once you've had modern you can't turn back, it's a little 997 v 991, you think the 997 is the bees until you drive the 991, there's no way back.
The price? credit to Tom and co for sticking to their guns, personally in this market it's surely too high. Id want the hardbacks, air con and more desirable interior for that money, as to Guards not being desirable, please you're having a laugh surely!!!

911livin said:
IMI A said:
I'd put the asking price on that 993 to £65,995 and not budge. Straight cars with no stories few and far between.

You can buy my 993 for that price..
If I didn't have yellow would go for red. Blue perhaps a bit a bit too common and conservative whilst of course very nice :thumbs:

My first car was red, and it was christened the Little Red Fire Engine. Not by me. Fortunately, it wasn't fast enough or cool enough to attract the attention of the rozzers.

I certainly don't think a Guards Red 911 is wrong, and a red 993 might well be of it's time ('period correct' I gather is the term), but now that I run a car that is certainly fast enough and potentially cool enough to attract the attention of the rozzers (and other knobs), I just don't want to attract any more attention than I already do (in my dirty racing white car). :cop:

I'm sure however that there are more outgoing types who will jump at the opportunity.

:hand: It's worth taking note the car that sold for 30s at auction I mentioned being a particularly good car it would appear, traders in 993 will have been all over that like a tramp on chips. They're not daft, they'll have factored in the work and then their margin for a retail sale and wouldn't want to do their dough paying too much.

For a personal purchase it made more sense to go that bit extra and enjoy it.

It's a good indication of where the market is. When price gets high people get more fussy and can likely stretch to a WB, H/Backs, AC, Varioram etc etc. The car is in WB territory. :bandit:

One car, at auction, which looked worse than it was from the images but still needs a repaint doesn't indicate where the pricing is for me. An anomaly. A bargain for someone.

Not doubting it is tough out there though, and that many look overpriced.

tyinsky said:
One car, at auction, which looked worse than it was from the images but still needs a repaint doesn't indicate where the pricing is for me. An anomaly. A bargain for someone.

Not doubting it is tough out there though, and that many look overpriced.

:hand: A Conini Stick inspection never lies so best not do your dough by paying overs

The early sports seats the red car has are the most comfortable Porsche has made. Hardbacks were cost cutting. AC never works in an air cooled properly. Better off getting electric AC if you really want it.

Zingari still spinning he's given up his amazing flat 6 in a saville row suit for georgic oxfami with a four pot hatchback engine :grin:

Lets revisit this thread in 10 yrs and place a sportsman bet that we will be kicking themselves for not buying a good no stories original panel no accident 993 C2. Personally I think 993 the only air cooled thats not really had its day other than RS and, C4S and C2 S.

C2/C4 should be worth more IMO they're the last of the breed and to many people who drive them the best air cooled :thumbs:

The AC in my 993 was powerful and ice cold over the 10 year period I owned it. Never understood why it had a bad reputation. Nonsense to suggest it doesn't work in aircooled.

highway said:
The AC in my 993 was powerful and ice cold over the 10 year period I owned it. Never understood why it had a bad reputation. Nonsense to suggest it doesn't work in aircooled.

+1 on the above, my A/C has always worked well, dealt with the 52C summer heat of Kuwait without a problem and now deals with a milder 39C Spanish summer 8)

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
993gtnut
Back