Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Quandry, 996 or 997?

Check out Jay Emm on Cars YouTube, Your first Porsche 911? 9964s vs 997.2 C2, been around a while so prices not quite accurate but it's quite interesting,
not childish, depressing or even a little bit silly! Hopefully non controversial either :thumb:

:grin: :wink:

:dont know:

Ishay said:
Wow this thread's a bit depressing. I've been away from the forum a few months and it seems to have become very much like pistonheads. When did it become about slagging off any 911, they're all awesom
e. Shame the same isn't true of the owners.
Eh what? Get over it. Just discussing porsches. What else is this forum for?!!

I'm not going to read through all the posts so sorry if I step on toes by repeating, but here's my opinion because I went through the same thought process 3-4 years ago

I ultimately decided on a 996 as you can get "more" for your money (in your case, more is less miles). The 996 is slightly more analogue which is ultimately what I was after, and I actually really like the way they look - I believe they'll be a future classic for sure.

There's a lot of love for the 996 in this forum. Which is no bad thing. I just can't get over the headlights.

When I got my car (in October 2015), the 991.1 was still the current generation 911 and anything older than a 997.2 would have come with a tiptronic/automatic gearbox (as a manual in Dubai is a very rare thing).

To be frank, I didn't even consider the 996. And I wasn't too keen on a 997.1 as there is effectively a ten-year ceiling on a car in Dubai: after 6 years, you can't get agency Insurance (ie repairs by OPC), and after 10 years, you can't get comprehensive Insurance. As it was, I only had a 5 year window..

You wouldn't beleive the beautiful 993s I saw, just stored and undriven. No one wanted to venture forth into traffic in those things without cover.

I had the same debate on here 18 months ago. Got some great advice and I would link the thread for you if I knew how. :oops:

I narrowed it down to 996 C4S or 997 C2S. I went 997 in the end but both were great cars. At the time I think a good 996 C4S wasnt vastly different in price to the equivalent 997 C2S.

I remember it was a great dilemma to have and whatever the outcome at the end of it you own a 911 :thumbs:

AlpinaB3S said:
I had the same debate on here 18 months ago. Got some great advice and I would link the thread for you if I knew how. :oops:

I narrowed it down to 996 C4S or 997 C2S. I went 997 in the end but both were great cars. At the time I think a good 996 C4S wasnt vastly different in price to the equivalent 997 C2S.

I remember it was a great dilemma to have and whatever the outcome at the end of it you own a 911 :thumbs:

We clearly had similar thought processes as I ended up with a 997 C2S also.

If it were possible I would have all 996 crushed into a cube, so I never have to see those lights again.

A very mixed bag or replies as you would expect. what I have found is the 996 is a more linear drivers car due to the lack of driver aids the 997.1 is more up to date but still dated in some areas . I personally prefer the 996.2 lights to the 996.1 but thats just me. I have seen some stunning 996s and some quite leggy 997s So for me if 18k was my budget then a good high spec rebuilt engined 996 over an early 997.1 thats not been rebuilt. If you can stretch to mid 20k's then a rebuilt 997 would be my choice. If your planning to keep it a few years then your going to be happier in a car with a properly rebuilt engine and that will be more important than whether its a 996 or 997 .

AlpinaB3S said:
tom_nieto said:
We clearly had similar thought processes as I ended up with a 997 C2S also.

Great arent they :thumb:

Absolutely, living the dream! Although I do sometimes catch myself looking a little too long at the 996 C4S rear as one goes by!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back