Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 headlights

I have the Litronics and found them very dim.

Changed to OSRAM Xenarc Night Breaker Unlimited D2S and improved a bit.

Still need to sand the lenses...

I tried LEDs in the standard lights, lovely even white light but no hotspot so no range.

With the MOT regs, I worried about after market HIDs so I bought Litronics (2nd hand) at significant expense (facelift lights are seem rarer and more expensive than the earlier lights). One is excellent, bright with good penetration, the other is white but lacks the penetration, both now have new Osram Nightbreakers. The next job is to strip them down and check the focussing lenses inside are clean. Failing that, I guess it must be the ballast, anyone worked on these?

The nighteye LEDs are a fail. Not only they don't fit inside the housing without making holes in it, they don't come with any retaining clips.
I think i'm gonna go with new nightbreakers and some elbow grease to polish the lamps.

I overtook a 996.1 the other night and when I looked in the mirror the 996's lights looked so dull I couldn't work out how you could see the road ahead, in contrast the Litronic's on mine are totally fine with good distance and better than most modern cars I have driven.

infrasilver said:
I overtook a 996.1 the other night and when I looked in the mirror the 996's lights looked so dull I couldn't work out how you could see the road ahead

They will do with your auto dimming mirror :grin:

alex yates said:
infrasilver said:
I overtook a 996.1 the other night and when I looked in the mirror the 996's lights looked so dull I couldn't work out how you could see the road ahead

They will do with your auto dimming mirror :grin:

I do have an auto dimming rear view mirror but it doesn't turn the colour to a dull amber, plus it adjusts to light sensitivity, it probably didn't even need to dim.

infrasilver said:
I overtook a 996.1 the other night and when I looked in the mirror the 996's lights looked so dull I couldn't work out how you could see the road ahead, in contrast the Litronic's on mine are totally fine with good distance and better than most modern cars I have driven.

Thats what mine were like till I polished them, cleaned inside and new bulbs :thumb:

Guys - I did this shortly after buying my P&J a few years ago. I received some sage advice at that time - if you upgrade the bulbs on your car then its a none-standard part and you need to inform your Insurance company.

God forbid you ever have an accident or get pulled over by the rozzers, but its one of the things that you can be nicked for as it can negate your Insurance.

Osh... :thumb:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back