Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Quandry, 996 or 997?

alex yates said:
T8 said:
997s bottomed out in value several years ago - at about the same time as the 996 - and have risen again.

Standard 997s are getting cheaper and haven't bottomed out yet, unlike the Turbo.

There's quite a few now that can be had for under £20k, some even down near £15k. That was never the case a few years ago.

4.5 years ago, when you could get 997 Turbos for under £40k, there were more sub-£20k 997 Carreras around than there are now.

Values of all variants rallied over the next 3 years and haven't fallen back much since - i,e over the last 18 months.

:agree:

There are plenty of 997's of various types going for less than a 996 C4S at the moment

I considered it myself but I've seen enough mondeo interiors in my time and I just couldn't live with that ugly rump :D

T8 said:
4.5 years ago, there were more sub-£20k 997 Carreras around than there are now.

Well I never saw any. I remember GT4 bagging his C2S for sub £20k back in December 2016 and both he & I agreed he'd got it for a steal.

The 996 C4S is a beautiful thing, but I wouldn't buy a sub £20k one as there'll be something wrong with it.

I'd be concerned about buying right at the bottom of the 997 market too at under £20k.

What £20k does get you is a vanilla 996 which has probably had some care and attention paid to it and won't be a total nail. You'll get a much better 996 than 997 at this money.

The 997 is commanding more money than the 996 because it's newer and will usually have fewer miles. These are important things for people wanting to get into a 911.

I was hunting very hard for a 996 C4S, but by the time I could get the cash together, the price they were commanding was so close to a really nice 997 that I couldn't justify buying the older car. After all, I was after a rear engined flat six manual sports car with no roof.

alex yates said:
T8 said:
4.5 years ago, there were more sub-£20k 997 Carreras around than there are now.

Well I never saw any. I remember GT4 bagging his C2S for sub £20k back in December 2016 and both he & I agreed he'd got it for a steal.

My memory is obviously better than yours then Alex, not least because I remember that his was a C2 not an S. :grin:

Seriously, I actively searched for cars for him at the time and not only were there lots more around than there are now. The 'steal' was that he negotiated a further grand off a car that was already well under £20k.

The cheapest cars around have gone up since then and although values have fallen again lately they're still a fair bit higher than when they actually 'bottomed out'.

I know how much he paid for it.....and yes you're right, it was a C2.

As I remember, everytime I looked at 997s, there were usually 2 or 3 under £20k on a weekly basis on Autotrader. Now there's 12. :dont know:

Ok i am busted. The truth is i have never seen the inside of a Mondeo. For which i feely truly thankful. Neither presuma bly had the interior design team in Stuttgart. It it is tad similar! The badge on the steering wheel thankfully gives the game away and there may be a bit more plastic in the Dagenham version.

Trying to be objective in a 996/997 comparison, i loved my 996 and the older fashioned analogue feel of it made for a more classic driving experience. I thought it sounded ok with the standatd exhaust, but i fitted a Top Gear setup to improve it. My 997.2 is a very more modern experience. I really like the Sports and Sports plus modes that fiddle with engine management, gear change speed (mine is a pdk), i can adjust suspension settings from the cockpit and select the sports exhaust or not. In practice i seem to always drive it in sport mode, exhaust noisy, and since buying it i have only driven it in manual. 385bhp makes it feel like a really fast machine compared to my c4s, and being a c2s it feels very different on the road. Much twitchier than my c4s, less stable and sure footed. But because of that a bit more of a challenge. And i enjoy not having to worry too much about the DFI lump blowing up! On balance the 997.2 S is a fab car, but it will cost about ten grand more than a good 996 c4s.
Cheers Rick

You don't get the Roland Rat face with the Porsche, that's a Ford exclusive.

Wow this thread's a bit depressing. I've been away from the forum a few months and it seems to have become very much like pistonheads. When did it become about slagging off any 911, they're all awesome. Shame the same isn't true of the owners.

996 or 997, cake or pies, blonde or brunette, lager or IPA, curry or pizza?
A no loser quandary it's a hard life!

Ishay said:
Wow this thread's a bit depressing. I've been away from the forum a few months and it seems to have become very much like pistonheads. When did it become about slagging off any 911, they're all awesome. Shame the same isn't true of the owners.

Agreed, 'tis a bit childish!

What's depressing and childish about discussing the pros and cons of 911 variants?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back