Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Please help Current drain 997.1 turbo

Hursty21

Good evening I'm after some advice on common causes of current drain, my car starts fine when hot and is charging fine, but if I leave the car for 4 days without being on the ctek the battery will be so dead it won't unlock or light the dash,
My car is 07 reg and has Bose with nav
The battery currently fitted is a brand new Bosch and HASNT been flat

Ok .. it sounds like you have something that is drawing current when the car is switched off .. id guess at about 0.8 amps .

Obvious things .. if a tracker is fitted it has a seperate battery , when this dies the car will try and recharge it with the engine off .. which it shouldn,t .

997 and it shouldnt have this type fitted .. it should be a standard vts so its a remote but possible item .

On a meter you will see a pulsed discharge of upto one amp every 20 - 30 seconds .

Radio faults tend to be around this amount as well.. pull the fuses and measure it on a meter .

It depends on what equipment you have as to wether you can find the fault .

I would start with an amp meter connected and measure the actual current draw .. you leave it for 40 mins with car locked and read it off .. if above 0.03 amps then you have confirmed a current draw .

Next i would be useing an Amp hound to find which fuse the current draw was on .. after that its a case of seeing whats on that fuse and working through the problem .

Always start with the obvious .. glove box light stuck on .. phone on video in the glove box and shut it will tell you this .

Boot / bonnet lights stuck on ... same test .

The worst discharge fault i have worked on finally turned out to be a control unit .. i had disconnected just about eveything in the car at this point .. 6 hours to find the fault .. the majority of these faults are in the region of 3 hours to find .

Thanks very much buddy! Looks like I'm in for some fun lol is there more fuse boxes than the one in the footwell near the accelerator pedal? And I don't have a fuse hound so I guess it's pull a fuse and wait, do these cars take 40 mins to go totally to sleep then?

Hello Ryan - you made it over here then!

Good luck getting this sorted. I know you just bought the car - private sale? Any warranty?
Although there is pleasure to be had working on it yourself of course!

jonno_ said:
Hello Ryan - you made it over here then!

Good luck getting this sorted. I know you just bought the car - private sale? Any warranty?
Although there is pleasure to be had working on it yourself of course!

Hi Jonno, yea I found my way over! Thanks for the heads up, it was a private sale so no warranty unfortunately I'll be getting my teeth stuck into it 😂

There is a second fuse board but not many fuses in it , its behind the rear seats , that foam panel pulls out , theres an ally tray you remove to get acess to it , its also where the DME lives .

I wouldn,t worry about that at first , start with the main fuse board .

Depending on what fuse your amp meter has then there are 2 ways of connecting it .. i have a 20 amp so i just connect it to the neg terminal , drop the latch on the drivers door with it open so the car thinks the door is closed then do a double press on the remote to lock the car but with out the interior monitoring active .. that way you can work on the fuses with out the alarm being triggered.

10 amp meter and this method will probably blow the fuse when you lock the car .

You can get a sensible reading after 10 mins as most items have shut down by then .. a true reading is about 40 - 60 mins but i just use the 10 min .

When pulling fuses do NOT pull any that are related to the alarm system .. it will trigger the alarm .

I would start with interior lights , glove box etc as i already mentioned then move onto the radio / pcm next .

Link here for what an amp hound is and does for interest .

https://store.snapon.com/Specialty-Circuit-Testers-Amp-Hound-Blue-Point--P769765.aspx

When investigating this fault on mine I only had a 10A meter so used a jump lead in parallel with the meter for about 30mins after locking the car as DM suggests.
Then removed the jump lead and start to measure current.

I have since bought an Amphound.

Amphound is an awsome bit of kit but its not very often i use it , expensive for a one off use .

The cost has also gone up a fair bit .. i payed £75 for mine .. the gen 2 which seems to be just a few more leads is now £160 :eek:

I might still have to buy one though .. it looks pretty :D

deMort said:
Amphound is an awsome bit of kit but its not very often i use it , expensive for a one off use .

The cost has also gone up a fair bit .. i payed £75 for mine .. the gen 2 which seems to be just a few more leads is now £160 :eek:

deMort Keep an eye out on that well known action site. I got my gen 2 for £68 inc postage from CalVan tools. It cost me about £16 in duty when it arrived about 6 days later.
The offer is not so good at the moment tho at £92 plus another £11 postage.

Ryan - have you tried taking the cd changer out of circuit? Quite a common cause of drain.
I've also heard of windows, engine bay, glove box and luggage light as well as the trackers mentioned here and elsewhere.

GL :)

Mine appears to have a cd changer in the glovebox and the frunk from what I can remember anyway?
Thanks for all the replies people as soon as a weekend looks to have good weather I will be tackling it!

Pickse said:
deMort said:

deMort Keep an eye out on that well known action site. I got my gen 2 for £68 inc postage from CalVan tools. It cost me about £16 in duty when it arrived about 6 days later.
The offer is not so good at the moment tho at £92 plus another £11 postage.

Cheers young man .. ill do that :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back