Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Quandry, 996 or 997?

This 996 v 997 thing is a little subjective....but, like Bob Sausage T, i have had both and am fairly convinced that:
1. My old 996 C4S had the worlds finest butt.
2. But i never enjoyed the front view
3. My 997 C2S is an all round great looking car. Cracking front view, very 911, and the redesigned rear with more aggressive engine lid slats looks terrific imo.
4. The interiors do not compare the 997 is a much nicer place to sit, feels up market but also very sporty. Mondeo like? In your dreams.
5. Oh and some extra ponies in the engine room are always welcome!
Rick

...hmmm :D

Attachments

• ford_mondeo_dashboard_131.jpg
    ford_mondeo_dashboard_131.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 1,175
...v....

Attachments

• porsche_911_interior_623.jpg
    porsche_911_interior_623.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 1,173
I'm sure this thread has a high banter element, but come on guys.....the OP would like more than just "this one looks nicer" comments; fairly sure he can decide that for himself.
Do they drive differently? Sound alike? Does one hold its value better than the other? Any difference in the ride quality? Running costs?

Anyone owned both and care to comment on something other than what they look like?

I don't mind either cars to be honest. In reference to the interior; I used to not be a fan of the 996 but, as with most cars, there's a period of time where they look outdated, but as time moves on they look retro and cool. That's what has happened with the 996 (it's in that retro/cool territory).

The 997 is still new enough to be considered modern in its styling but it's definitely moving into the outdated zone. But as the world turns it will be cool again and we'll be having the same conversation 997 vs 991 in ten years time.

I adore the front end of the 997 but also appreciate the uniqueness of the 996 runny eggs. I don't agree with the rear end comments as all 911s have great arses!

Regarding values of 996 vs 997 (probably 997.2 tbf) and the price hike not worth any perceived gains; that's just market forces and nothing we can do about that. For me the premium was worth it for the reliability of the DFi lump and (hopefully) lees age related issues down to wear-and-tear. I also purchased from JZM due to their warranty so defo paid top whack.

Just my two penneth :thumb:

Counter Of Beans said:
I'm sure this thread has a high banter element, but come on guys.....the OP would like more than just "this one looks nicer" comments; fairly sure he can decide that for himself.
Do they drive differently? Sound alike? Does one hold its value better than the other? Any difference in the ride quality? Running costs?

Anyone owned both and care to comment on something other than what they look like?

As said in my previous post, as far as I'm concerned the 997 is an upgrade from the 996 in just about every element of the car. The only thing negative I noticed when moved from 996-997 was the 996 felt like it had a bit more character, however if I wanted a 911 with character I wouldn't be buying water cooled.

Although I prefer the looks (both exterior and interior) of the 997, the main reason I prefer the 997 is that the 3.8S with Chrono and in sport mode is a massive step forwards from the earlier 3.4/3.6 (again IMO). In terms of holding their value, I'd say the 996 would definitely be the one to go for at the moment, 997's have a bit to come down yet.

Regardless of which car is better all round, if I had an £18k budget and wanted a 911, without question I'd be buying a 996.

Robert SausageTrousers said:
...... In terms of holding their value, I'd say the 996 would definitely be the one to go for at the moment, 997's have a bit to come down yet.

:?

997s bottomed out in value several years ago - at about the same time as the 996 - and have risen again.

I'm pretty sure that current values of entry level cars are where they are going to stay for quite a while with 997s being a bit more expensive to buy than comparable 996s.

ragpicker said:
Boom! Pick that one out!
Indeed !!! Hadn't realised they were so similar.
I really need to get me a Mondeo.
Porsche on the inside and Aston on the outside :worship:

T8 said:
Robert SausageTrousers said:
...... In terms of holding their value, I'd say the 996 would definitely be the one to go for at the moment, 997's have a bit to come down yet.

:?

997s bottomed out in value several years ago - at about the same time as the 996 - and have risen again.

I'm pretty sure that current values of entry level cars are where they are going to stay for quite a while with 997s being a bit more expensive to buy than comparable 996s.

I certainly hope you're correct!

kas750 said:
ragpicker said:
Boom! Pick that one out!
Indeed !!! Hadn't realised they were so similar.
I really need to get me a Mondeo.
Porsche on the inside and Aston on the outside :worship:
:floor:

T8 said:

Standard 997s are getting cheaper and haven't bottomed out yet, unlike the Turbo.

There's quite a few now that can be had for under £20k, some even down near £15k. That was never the case a few years ago.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SondeMadiu
Back