Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Laying up for winter

Get the whole crisp day thing, been utilising those days thus far into the winter.

Just thought, I've not driven it in Jan, can't see it going out in Feb, that's 100 knicker for the sake of a few keyboard presses whist I sit in the office.

Just unsure about the direct debit considerations?!

Oh well went straight to the horses head and rang DVLA, declaring SORN automatically cancels the direct debit. Then taxing it again creates a new one. Might give it a whirl to be fair.

I note no mention of stuck clutches on manual cars, where after lay up it is not possible to get the car in gear with the engine running as the clutch does not free off when the clutch pedal is pressed.... Have read of semi regular occurrences of this on other sports car forums, not a Porsche foible then...? There are ways of freeing the clutch plate without stripping it down.

Reading in this thread of keeping batteries charged... Lead acid batteries give of explosive gasses when charging/discharging heavily, a spark from a disconnect or any other similar situation in an area where the gas has been allowed to build up can perhaps have a mix of plastic and acid flying in all directions...

Also heard of a situation where one of those lithium booster packs left connected in the car caught fire causing all sorts of Insurance hassles....

My old car has been laid up for quite a while so informed my broker(email evidence) that it has been out of MOT for some time, even though I still have it insured for road use, when perhaps I should have sought to convert to in storage Insurance.... Guess I was hopeful to get it on the road any day soon.... ! I suspect there could be Insurance issues if you car is not complete, in that you are working on it, perhaps the engine out.... and a claim situation arises... hmm..?

I will stop typing now, I have scared myself enough.. :?:

Norfolk & Idea said:
I bought into all this SORN shoite the 1st year I had my car. Then I thought about it....

I simply don't bother now. I keep all documentation live- tax, test, Insurance. I don't take it out if the weathers crap or road surface is wet and salty. But you do get the odd beautiful crisp winter days. And the turbo's love a bit of chilled air :wink:

For saving a couple of bob on road tax I don't see the point. Just my 2 penneth, for those who like the hibernation ritual, crack on :thumbs:

Couldn't agree with you more. Now not wishing to be regionalist but is this some soft southern snowflake fear. :floor:

Urban Ranger said:
Norfolk & Idea said:
I bought into all this SORN shoite the 1st year I had my car. Then I thought about it....

I simply don't bother now. I keep all documentation live- tax, test, Insurance. I don't take it out if the weathers crap or road surface is wet and salty. But you do get the odd beautiful crisp winter days. And the turbo's love a bit of chilled air :wink:

For saving a couple of bob on road tax I don't see the point. Just my 2 penneth, for those who like the hibernation ritual, crack on :thumbs:

Couldn't agree with you more. Now not wishing to be regionalist but is this some soft southern snowflake fear. :floor:

Not all of us. :wack:

Urban Ranger said:

So your car is your year round daily then yeah?

Norfolk & Idea said:

Oooh yeah, the candles come out we all run around naked singing.
You cant beat a ritual you really cant

The return of Marty Wild said:
Urban Ranger said:

So your car is your year round daily then yeah?

Just a little leg pulling guys. Nothing but respect and love for everyone on here. Not a daily by any means, would like it to be however I'm a 30k a year driver for work. Doesn't get laid away for the winter and any opportunity available it's driven, as long as it's safe to be out :thumbs:

Tobyone said:
Norfolk & Idea said:

Oooh yeah, the candles come out we all run around naked singing.
You cant beat a ritual you really cant

Is this naked ritual meet in the events section? Cannot find it ?? Can I attend if I've only got a small candle?

Fair enough, I drove the car for 2 years as my only car until I became a dad. Now I find opportunities to drive her are few and far between, proper occasion when I do now though. Works for my OCD as well because it means it stays beautifully clean as I can now pick exactly when it gets driven. Also through my man maths calculator, I figured that these last few months of precious little driving can only be doing the residuals a favour, having put best part of 15k on the clock.

She deserves not seeing all that salt and grime now I have a car for family duties IMO :thumb:

Why should I give those robbing barstewards 50 a month (if she's not going anywhere), when the chumps I work with are poisoning the air I breathe with their DERVs whilst paying 20 a year!

My wife says man up boys. Her 997 is her daily driver and it's a cab.

NB I drive a RS4 so taking no sides here...

Sorned in December..........
A) work is busy till just before xmas
B) from xmas till new year im probably never sober enough to drive it properly
C) Jan-March the weather is usually crap so its left under cover
D) £200 in tax saved towards........
E.1)Beer
E.2)Take aways
E.3)Beer
E.4)Service costs
E.4) lets be honest its beer!!
:eek:

drmark said:

Happy days, who cleans it?

The return of Marty Wild said:
drmark said:

Happy days, who cleans it?

My C2 is my daily at the moment and has been since November. I gave up cleaning it as it just took ages so I found a mobile detailer who does the job every two weeks!

Why should I give those robbing barstewards 50 a month (if she's not going anywhere), when the chumps I work with are poisoning the air I breathe with their DERVs whilst paying 20 a year!

Indeed. Surely it would be fairer to just work out the total HMRC VED income and add it to the pence per litre price of fuel, so if you don't use a car you don't pay tax. No faffing around with SORN type admin (perhaps a rebate scheme for commercial operators), no messing around with eejits at the DVLA, no tax avoidance.

They're going to have to find an alternative to VED as we switch to electric vehicles anyway, so get rid of it ASAP, I say.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back