Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Engine drop

Bit the bullet and bought the breather pipe, it's routed differently and the original interferes with the secondary throtte.
Fired her up sans cans what a racket. Couple of leaks from fuel filter and PS pipe so shut down quickly.
All cylinders firing and after building oil pressure without dme she fired first time. I'll complete the exhaust next and let her warm up properly. Not checked actuators yet but holding vac.
Lost the little retaining clip for the throttle pedal ball joint connector I reckon a paper clip can be modifide to fit.
Worst bit was fitting the air box, I had to drop the engine a bit which made it much easier. Lot less room in the engine bay now.

Ran her up to temp and topped oil up to 1/3 on dip stick. After a few minutes the idle steadied to 900rpm, noisy tappet disappeared and most of the smoke cleared from oil spills on the exhaust. The engine note changed considerably as the ecu retuned itself. Pentosin 202 topped up.
Varioram acuators did their little start up dance.
I dropped the engine 5mm with an extra spacer on the RS mounts and removed the drooping engine insulation. It just makes access to isv and airbox cover that bit easier. I'll put some covers on the studs to save my skin.
Suspension reassembly next. Subframes in and cross braces. Should be on it's wheels by weekend but no runs in the present conditions.
It's been an instructive exercise but a lot more involved and expensive than I had anticipated.

Retaxed, brakes bled and clutch, so much easier with remote bleed. I'll wheel her out this weekend. Almost ready for the run down to Oulton for the RS track day. See you there Trev?

Attachments

• sk1_611.jpg
    sk1_611.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 5,009
Endoman said:
Retaxed, brakes bled and clutch, so much easier with remote bleed. I'll wheel her out this weekend. Almost ready for the run down to Oulton for the RS track day. See you there Trev?

Is that the Fri 8th March event John?, if so yes I'll be there...

Trev

yes that's the one, I shall be there with a good friend of mine who's also a bit of a Porsche nut, you taking the 993?.

Trev

Trial run next w/e as long as the skip has been removed from the farmyard.
Utility room almost done so I will have somewhere to wash up next to the garage. The builder came in useful to torque up the rear axle hub nuts, ex motorcycle mechanic so he knows his stuff.

Fixed a leak from the oil tank filler tube (thx Trev) and the obvious severe o/s rear toe (It moved)
Mid range torque of the vram very impressive nice smooth power up to rev limit and no stalls with the LWF but all in all I wouldn't do it again.
Bloody handbrake is still crap, better but no handbrake turns.

Would you belive it a sidewall puncture first time out with a 6 month old tyre.
Geo checked at 9m only one adjustment needed to o/s rear toe.
Off to see Jim on Monday for a regass and to persuade him to drag his 993 out of hibernation. Looks like a good crowd of 911UKers will be at Oulton on Friday. Removing the engine bay sound insulation has made little difference to cabin noise, perhaps the varioram manifold dampens induction noise to a degree?

Hi

Great thread, bad luck on the tyre! Just reading through, a couple of things come to mind, one is on keeping alloy suspension arms looking good, with mine I used a crystalline wax of a type used on outdoor statues. My cousin is a metal finisher and says that is what the British Museum does. It was a few years ago and I will be under the car (hopefully) next week so I will have a look and see how they are getting on.

The sill that is rusts is always the LHS one as far as I can tell. The oil cooler pipes keep the other one toasty warm. I guess you have been patch repairing. Do you rustproof after with something like Tectyl ML? I wonder if a whole sill replacement is the way to go. Mine is rusting also. I hit the rust with some Tectyl ML through the trim holes on the underside of the sill and even went as far as injecting the exterior bubbles with the same (using a hypodermic needle) once I had forced the water out.

One of my chassis legs needs doing. Know anyone in the SEast who is reasonable and good?

All the best

Berni

I have listened to "Endoman" and I am thrilled:

I sent the dizzy to Diddi, ask him [email protected] via DHL .........
Diddi's turnaround is very quick this is the 3rd one I've sent to him.
Just drop him an email.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back