Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

GTS - worth the premium?

Have you seen the amount of 991 GTS cars for sale on Porsche UK site?
Loads

996Jane said:
askgeez said:
* I know of a very clean , below average mileage, 997.2 C4s PDK coupe that the owner wants to offload. Domestic issues :frustrated:

He only bought last year from mid sussex and hence still has lots of OPC warranty remaining . Also a lovely set of sport classics with winter tyres

Interesting - any more details? Colour, history etc?

Basalt black ,PDK , Full OPC history, sports exhaust . 48k miles.

askgeez said:
Basalt black ,PDK , Full OPC history, sports exhaust . 48k miles.

Cheers for that but I think we've decided to go with a GTS 👍

Speculating over future values for investment purposes for anything that isn't a GT car is totally pointless. Whilst I think these are very special cars, Porsche made an awful lot of them and a lot of people take very good care of them. If you're willing to lock it in a barn for half a century, then that's slightly different to actually driving it. Adding mileage = losing money. We've been totally brainwashed by the speculators flipping GT cars for a few years and the relatively good economic climate has meant that regular sports cars have held their prices.

Buy the one you like and enjoy the extremely low depreciation. Take the good advice of the other posters in this thread that the GTS is worth the premium as the spec is usually a lot better than the average C4S.

If you want to buy a car for an investment with your cash, a 996 GT3 might be better. Similarly your cash would get you one hell of a nice Mezger engined turbo car in either 996 or 997 guise which would be where my £60k would go (if I didn't get distracted by a V10 manual R8 )!

In all seriousness, have you looked into the 997 turbo?

jackliebling said:
squelch said:
jackliebling said:
The OPC stock for the last few months was pitched in the mid 50s
Well that's just nonsense - I'm a frequent visitor (probably twice a week or so) to the Porsche Approved site and 997 GTS's have NEVER been mid 50's. I recall the cheapest one I saw was a Cab at £57.9k with no sports chrono and iirc around 40k miles.

jackliebling said:
Hexagon seem to have reduced prices by about 10k.
Indeed, Hexagon have reduced the price of their stock in the last few months, including their Turbo / S stock (which they have always had more overpriced than anything else they keep) - maybe they're on their way to joining the rest of us here on planet Earth.

jackliebling said:
I also tried to shift my 997 GTS to several dealers (OPC and indy) who were not interested due to sticky stock towards the end of the year and I also listed it privately for £53k and i had only a couple of calls. Easier to buy than sell it seems!
I don't know your car and these can be spec sensitive, but £53k seems very cheap indeed. Did you sell it?

Ok, well it's your word against mine. In December there were several 997 GTS on Porsche website listed for 54-57k, they have all sold. My car didn't sell privately, some chancer offered me £46k. Last week a well known Indy wanted to list my mint car on SOR with 42000 miles for £53k. No way I'd let it go for that (given their near £5k fee) so I'm hoping to keep it longer to wait for spring.

And mine never seen GTS at that price at OPC, even cabs or high milers....

tom_nieto said:

Only half seriously, as assumed it might be a bit hard work as a daily driver?

996Jane said:
tom_nieto said:

4WD and tiptronic would make a lovely daily drive. The suspension is no harder and the driving characteristics are fairly similar throughout the range. The main difference is that it's a proper rocket ship and still keeps up with a lot of new super cars. Sure, there's an argument about turbo vs NA character, but the DFI NA engine arguably lost some character over previous iterations of the flat six. Honestly, you can pop to the shops just as easily in a turbo as a NA 911. You just don't quite reach warp speed as quickly in the NA cars! I'd see if you can test drive one.

tom_nieto said:
996Jane said:
tom_nieto said:

4WD and tiptronic would make a lovely daily drive. The suspension is no harder and the driving characteristics are fairly similar throughout the range. The main difference is that it's a proper rocket ship and still keeps up with a lot of new super cars. Sure, there's an argument about turbo vs NA character, but the DFI NA engine arguably lost some character over previous iterations of the flat six. Honestly, you can pop to the shops just as easily in a turbo as a NA 911. You just don't quite reach warp speed as quickly in the NA cars! I'd see if you can test drive one.

:yeah: and if you want a really nice one, check this out.

FOR SALE ---> Full Porsche Service History and 12 months OPC Warranty for under £50k

Lenny39 said:
I went through exactly the same thought process C4S or GTS. I ended up deciding on a C4S, I couldn't justify the extra £20K on a daily. If I spent the extra £20K I think I would always worry about the depreciation due to clocking up the miles, less concerned on a lower value car. I've had garage queens before and didn't want another.

When I looked the GTS seemed very spec sensitive. Some up for sale have been around for a long time.

Very valid point regarding the mileage...........

Doing 5k a year will maintain the premium but if you stick 10k a year on it, the residual value will certainly take a hit.

I'm not a mileage snob (no offence to anyone) but you have to face the reality of the British market....an extra 20k on the same age car can devalue the car by a significant amount and to some degree it's desirability.

There is a perception that a car with mileage 50k has got to be better than one with 70k.
Which I think is tosh really.

Better to buy 70K and upwards and factor in a visit to Hartech in my book. You will save the cost of rebuild because of the milage if you are canny, and then you have a car you know is good!

jl-c said:
Better to buy 70K and upwards and factor in a visit to Hartech in my book. You will save the cost of rebuild because of the milage if you are canny, and then you have a car you know is good!

......but it's a 997.2 DFI motor. No issues. Traded mine in end of sept with 70k on the clock ........ used 1 litre of oil in between the 2 year services.

jl-c said:

:eh!:

I've been reading this with interest, I actually was hoping to buy janes 996 as a side project but last minute decisions stopped that from happening.

To the case in point, I've been looking for a 4s to replace my Audi rs, the prices suggested for a good gts(leather dash at least) are staggering and you can get a turbo gen 2 for the same or less with 60k miles. I didn't think I'd go back to a turbo but no way would I pay more for a gts.

no I don't think it's worth the premium, buy a pdk turbo for the same money and I bet there are less uk cars.

Bund said:
I've been reading this with interest, I actually was hoping to buy janes 996 as a side project but last minute decisions stopped that from happening.
yes, sorry about that - it sold very easily in the end.

Bund said:
no I don't think it's worth the premium, buy a pdk turbo for the same money and I bet there are less uk cars.

Have spent the day researching turbos and may be coming around to the idea - original budget is a distant memory 😀

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back