Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Fuel - does anyone use normal unleaded out of choice?

TBF I don't always put in SUL, and I can't notice the difference performance or economy wise. To put it into perpesctive we run a fleet of 350 odd vehicles that run on terrible third world fuel, generally to about 300,000 km without trouble on the worst third world fuel available, granted they aren't Porsche's and no doubt SUL is preferable, but I absolutely hate the adds where billy Porsche nut states it's only ever been run on super.... Yawn! The idiot before (probably me) also used some 95 :grin:

jl-c said:
alex yates said:
jl-c said:
I usually use 98 but it is fine to use 95, I quote the manual:

It doesn't actually say it's fine, it says your vehicle will operate properly. But that's only in a perfect world with everything working correctly. If your knock sensors aren't working correctly they may not detect that the engine is pinking and therefore continue to run on the fuel map for 98RON and cause damage to the engine. How old's your 997? When was the last time the quartz sensors were checked? :dont know:

If you ask me it's not worth the risk for the sake of.........well, I was going to say a few pence, but seeing as your car will perform faster and more economical on the higher octane fuel, where's the saving?

The clue is in my signature. FULLY checked by Hartech due to going on their maintenance program (and believe me, they check everything, even down to the software state of the stereo!) after a full rebuild due to borescoring.

Do you want a wager with me on whether Hartech check the performance of the knocks sensors?

Have used 95 in my Boxster for 9 years and 60K miles, use it in my C2 without any issues.

And... Can we really be sure the quality and consistency of the fuel the pump anyway?
I doubt it

alex yates said:
jl-c said:
alex yates said:
jl-c said:
I usually use 98 but it is fine to use 95, I quote the manual:

It doesn't actually say it's fine, it says your vehicle will operate properly. But that's only in a perfect world with everything working correctly. If your knock sensors aren't working correctly they may not detect that the engine is pinking and therefore continue to run on the fuel map for 98RON and cause damage to the engine. How old's your 997? When was the last time the quartz sensors were checked? :dont know:

If you ask me it's not worth the risk for the sake of.........well, I was going to say a few pence, but seeing as your car will perform faster and more economical on the higher octane fuel, where's the saving?

The clue is in my signature. FULLY checked by Hartech due to going on their maintenance program (and believe me, they check everything, even down to the software state of the stereo!) after a full rebuild due to borescoring.

Do you want a wager with me on whether Hartech check the performance of the knocks sensors?

I give up! Enjoy your perfect world. End of discussion.

Phil 997 said:
OK then to answer them all I only use Shell V max and will go out of my way to find it , only use millers nano 10w50 as thats what Hartech advise and only use Michelin as they are the best. :grin: :grin: :grin:

You forgot "tip or manual?"

:grin:

Have always used Shell VM except a couple of time in Europe when I hadn't a scooby what I was putting in :eek: it didn't seem to run as well to me but could just have been my irrational paranoia! :dont know:

I did the Mongolian rally a few years back in an old Volvo 740, a lot of the time I had no choice but to buy old pop bottles of fuel from a kid at the side of the road. Often I had to filter it through a sock to get the twigs and dead mozzies out of it and the old girl never missed a beat even at 14,000 feet up on the Pamir Highway.

That said I would never dream of putting UL in the 996, I get jittery putting BP SUL in rather than Shell V-max :eek:

Hans Gruber said:
Often I had to filter it through a sock to get the twigs and dead mozzies out of it

I will find the 'tool kit' thread and tell the chap to add a sock to the list :floor: :floor: :floor: :floor:

:thumb:

Of course being a Yorkshire lad I put the sock back on afterwards

Being Southern, I put my pants on backwards and then inside out for the 4 day effect :grin:

HSC911 said:
Being Southern, I put my pants on backwards and then inside out for the 4 day effect :grin:

You spelt Month wrong. :hand:

alex yates said:
HSC911 said:

You spelt Month wrong. :hand:

Being from t'wrong side o t'penines im surprised you wear pants!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
briant1000
Back