Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Fuel - does anyone use normal unleaded out of choice?

NLW73

interesting thread on facebook 911 group about fuel and what you use.

I was a bit surprised as have always put SUL in my 911s and why would you put anything else in unless totally stuck in middle of nowhere or wales with only normal UL?

surely they are meant to run on 98 and putting 95 in (unless mapped) is not gong to do any good long term?

or will it just be under powered and run rough?

for the sake of saving 4p per litre is it worth it? the SUL makes the car run better and you get more miles per tank as car would need to work harder on 95 ron.

No :judge:

My uncle has been a mechanic for over 50 years and ALWAYS uses Super :cop:

The car goes faster with it too :grin:

:thumb:

I usually use 98 but it is fine to use 95, I quote the manual:

Your engine is designed to provide optimum performance and fuel economy using unleaded premium fuel with an octane rating of 98 RON (93 CLC or AKI).
Porsche therefore recommends the use of these fuels in your vehicle.
Porsche also recognizes that these fuels may not always be available. Be assured that your vehicle will operate properly on unleaded premium fuels with octane numbers of at least 95 RON (90 CLC or AKI),since the engine's "Electronic Oktaneâ„¢ knock control' will adapt the ignition timing, if necessary.

So, I guess, it is totally your choice, but not necessarily wrong.

Got to be honest sometimes I turn up at the petrol station in a daze and put anything in.
Half the time i am surprised its not diesel.

My daily run around is a fiesta or I have a pick up truck for my business, my 911 is a weekend dry weather car, rarely do I put super in because its not the first thing I think about, maybe I should give it more thought for the 911.

good spot. but if the ecu is regarding the timing and ignition its not going to push out as much power I would have thought?

Another fuel thread.
Free gift for anyone who can give the number of fuel threads on here.

surely the only and definitive answer is RTFM? :)

pzero said:
Another fuel thread.

63.... Can I have my free gift now please?? x

jl-c said:

It doesn't actually say it's fine, it says your vehicle will operate properly. But that's only in a perfect world with everything working correctly. If your knock sensors aren't working correctly they may not detect that the engine is pinking and therefore continue to run on the fuel map for 98RON and cause damage to the engine. How old's your 997? When was the last time the quartz sensors were checked? :dont know:

If you ask me it's not worth the risk for the sake of.........well, I was going to say a few pence, but seeing as your car will perform faster and more economical on the higher octane fuel, where's the saving?

alex yates said:
jl-c said:

It doesn't actually say it's fine, it says your vehicle will operate properly. But that's only in a perfect world with everything working correctly. If your knock sensors aren't working correctly they may not detect that the engine is pinking and therefore continue to run on the fuel map for 98RON and cause damage to the engine. How old's your 997? When was the last time the quartz sensors were checked? :dont know:

If you ask me it's not worth the risk for the sake of.........well, I was going to say a few pence, but seeing as your car will perform faster and more economical on the higher octane fuel, where's the saving?

The clue is in my signature. FULLY checked by Hartech due to going on their maintenance program (and believe me, they check everything, even down to the software state of the stereo!) after a full rebuild due to borescoring. And please don't anyone say you would not have borescore if you only used 98 fuel.If Porsche say it's OK then they will have covered their own backs multiple times over. We do not need more bollocks conspiracy theories.

pzero said:
Another fuel thread.

One more than the number of 'which oil?' threads but two less than the number of 'which tyres?' threads. :wink:

T8 said:
pzero said:
Another fuel thread.

One more than the number of 'which oil?' threads but two less than the number of 'which tyres?' threads. :wink:

About as frequent as the "tip or manual?" threads then.

But WAY behind the "how much is it worth....???" threads!

OK then to answer them all I only use Shell V max and will go out of my way to find it , only use millers nano 10w50 as thats what Hartech advise and only use Michelin as they are the best. :grin: :grin: :grin:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
993gtnut
Back