Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Thinking Aloud - Wheels

willy

Evening all

I have Sport Classic II wheels on a 1998 NB Carrera in Ocean Blue. The wheels are tatty to the point that even though the car is my daily driver, I'm getting a little embarrassed.

My little ponder is : do I refurb @ ~£800 or do I buy something else for a change and attempt to shift the others?

There's no right answer to this one - just interested in opinions.

:?:

I personally would spend the £800 towards something different, if nothing else just to update the look of the car for a bit of a change. Each to their own tho of course

My favourite OEM 996 wheel..... but £800! :?:

Who is that with? sounds expensive to me for two piece wheel set refurb.

jezgreen911 said:
My favourite OEM 996 wheel..... but £800! :?:

Who is that with? sounds expensive to me for two piece wheel set refurb.

That is circa the going rate it seems. Most quotes are coming in at a min of £150 plus VAT per wheel. Then you have to factor in tyre removal\refit etc..

I had a competitive quote from Chris (Exel) some months back which included the loan of spares but there is no expectation of change from £750.

Refurb at £800 :eek:

What you doing - getting them Rhodium plated?

I paid way under £300 for all 4 Turbo alloys fully stripped, repaired (as they were seriously mullered), powder coated, tyres refit and balanced and they even washed my car for me before collection.

are they the split rims?

that is probably why they are expensive to refurb

Yes, Classic IIs are split rims with multiple screws holding the split rims, so expensive to refurb. Exel did mine a couple of years ago, including a diamond turned rims and two front tyres fitted, came to around £1k. Thought it was good value!!

Get those lovely Sport Classics refurbed.

There's no cheap way of refurbing them to factory finish but one cheaper and more durable option, especially as it's a daily driver (which will hammer polished rims), is to have the wheels split, do the centres in a gunmetal grey powder coat and the rims in a "chrome" powder coat.
This isn't proper chrome to avoid confusion. It's a very bright silver that looks great against the grey centres. Much more hard wearing for a daily driver and I reckon you'd be under £400 for that. Maybe less if you split them yourself.

The wheels you have are in my (and many others) opinion the nicest wheels for a non aero kitted car.
The only benefits in swapping would be less weight and a simpler design for when it comes to washing them. But £800 won't get much else decent.

:thumb:

£800
bdsm.gif

Can put you in touch with a man who'll do what Marky is saying for just over half that :thumb:

Carrera MY02 (BBS). Strong, light, look mega and so easy to clean... :thumb:

C.

Attachments

• 996_my02_1_210.jpg
    996_my02_1_210.jpg
    693.9 KB · Views: 3,737
I like those cableguy. They look good and a doddle to keep clean :thumbs:

:grin:

When I bought the car 6-7 years ago, the Sport Classic wheels were a stand-out feature. I loved them (and still do) but they are certainly a pain in the jack to clean.

Having accepted the need to spend £800 on the refurb, I've started considering other options and hence the post.

If there is an option to refurb at about half the price then it is a no-brainer.

I'm making a few more calls to companies local to me (Wrexham \ Chester) and will update.

HSC911 - thanks - will PM you but I suspect the freight charge will get in the way. :thumb:

Meanwhile... what else are people going for on these cars? Are Twists still popular?

£800 is daft money..... theres nothing difficult about split rims, they are nuts and bolts, its maybe an hours extra work for the refurb place if that.

Most wheel refurb places like to lose the vat in with a cash in hand payment.... ;) I paid £350 for a set of 4 19" wheels to be powder coated, had a choice of 16 colours and a set of wheels to use ont he car while they were being done. Tyre removal and refitting is included.....

I like the Sport Classics and I think a set might end up on mine at some point. I too would go the light grey centres with chrome powdercoat outer rims.
Polished rims are such a PITA and need constant attention.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golfguy11800
Back