Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997.2 ECU tune

HSC911 said:
Just buy a Turbo :dont know:

:grin:

Yeah that ^ And then get it tuned :devil:

Magic919 said:
Probably a waste of money on these NA cars. I can certainly see the gains on anything with forced induction.

Basically this, supercharged and turbocharged cars do well with a map. Can a N/A car be improved?
A little bit but not by much, I've done it in the past and wasn't impressed TBH.

Norfolk & Idea said:
Phil 997 said:
My 2p , Porsche will have compromised on the full potential for various reasons including having to comply with a world full of various emotions legislation plus restricting the potential of these cars so they can get max profit from the flag ship cars and their very expensive power kits. controlling air in , gas out and the ecu are very easy ways for them to restrict the full potential of these cars for all the given reasons . they have to pick a map that will give max economy as well .
So we all know that the stock ECU map is not the best that can be achieved
A good remapper will rework the ECU to your requirements, whether that is moving the power curve to give you more low-mid range ideal for a fast road car or maxing the car for track use.

I do get the argument that these cars are fast enough and well set up for most people, but there are those of us that enjoy tweaking and getting a bit more out of our cars and as I said there are decent wins by tailoring the map to make the car a more enjoyable road car. and if combined with other mods really can make a noticeable improvement.

I have my car at Hartech currently and Wayne from Chipwizards who is regarded as the best is very close to them ,so mine will be going to him for a remap after Hartech have rebuilt it. I have already discussed with him that max BHP is only bragging rights and my requirements are more about improving low-mid range and smoothing out the known flat spots that all these cars have.
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

It'll be an absolute delight when you get that back. Bet you can't wait to feed in the gears on that fat torque wave, you'll love it :thumbs:

:grin: :grin: Thats what I am expecting mate. and the guys that think it brings nothing to a NA car , thats fine let them miss out :grin: but a note to the OP you want a live remap and NOT a generic off the shelf £200 job as thats often what the guys that are disappointed have done ,. you get what you pay for like anything else. :thumb: :thumb:

Phil 997 said:
Norfolk & Idea said:
Phil 997 said:
My 2p , Porsche will have compromised on the full potential for various reasons including having to comply with a world full of various emotions legislation plus restricting the potential of these cars so they can get max profit from the flag ship cars and their very expensive power kits. controlling air in , gas out and the ecu are very easy ways for them to restrict the full potential of these cars for all the given reasons . they have to pick a map that will give max economy as well .
So we all know that the stock ECU map is not the best that can be achieved
A good remapper will rework the ECU to your requirements, whether that is moving the power curve to give you more low-mid range ideal for a fast road car or maxing the car for track use.

I do get the argument that these cars are fast enough and well set up for most people, but there are those of us that enjoy tweaking and getting a bit more out of our cars and as I said there are decent wins by tailoring the map to make the car a more enjoyable road car. and if combined with other mods really can make a noticeable improvement.

I have my car at Hartech currently and Wayne from Chipwizards who is regarded as the best is very close to them ,so mine will be going to him for a remap after Hartech have rebuilt it. I have already discussed with him that max BHP is only bragging rights and my requirements are more about improving low-mid range and smoothing out the known flat spots that all these cars have.
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

It'll be an absolute delight when you get that back. Bet you can't wait to feed in the gears on that fat torque wave, you'll love it :thumbs:

:grin: :grin: Thats what I am expecting mate. and the guys that think it brings nothing to a NA car , thats fine let them miss out :grin: but a note to the OP you want a live remap and NOT a generic off the shelf £200 job as thats often what the guys that are disappointed have done ,. you get what you pay for like anything else. :thumb: :thumb:

Spend ya money, don't forget to convince yourself it was worth it. live map or not.
It will make a difference but negligible.

Given that the map is mostly about improving the midrange does anybody actually know what sort of bhp increase you can expect to see on a standard 385bhp 997.2 C2S engine?

What about an engine with bolt on mods like exhaust/plenum chamber/etc?

I'm guessing you'd struggle to see 400bhp but it would be interesting to see if anybody has any real world figures.

bennyy said:
Can a N/A car be improved?
A little bit but not by much, I've done it in the past and wasn't impressed TBH.
What car was that on bennyy? Was it a Porsche or similar with a decent capacity? Would be good to see some context to the comment.

I think it's widely understood that forced induction responds the best to remaps, but some N/A cars do respond better to fettling than others (and there's no substitute for cubic inches, as they say).

Anyway, last week I was filling up with Shell's finest when an identical GTS pulled into the forecourt (even down to the same cheesy personal "xx54 GTS" number plate), so inevitably we had a brief chat. He's had it from new and done 50k so far and has had it remapped to 430bhp. Not a vast hike on the standard 408bhp of the GTS but he said it was a "noticeable improvement" and he was really pleased with it. Not an extensive discussion but the fact that he mentioned it in a positive light should be a good sign (I wouldn't expect someone to mention something they've done which they weren't happy with).

DMS seem to advertise in magazines frequently and I think they get good gains from the standard 3.8S. Around 8% power (up to 415 from 385) and 10% torque (up to 338 from 309). I'd want to see plotted torque and power curves though.

The car i had remapped was a E92 M3. I had a live map put on it after having a Russ fellows exhaust with preliminary cat delete .
The secondary cats were 100 cell race cats. I think it was supposed to have an extra 30 bhp which I doubt TBH.
You would need to improve the cats to even hope to get any more out of the car. I resorted to putting a ESS VT2 supercharger on it.
That helped.

I can tell you that you will not get anything like an 8% gain.

The biggest gain from this engine comes when it is in a Cayman as it is restricted. I can do it, but it's expensive and your car certainly won't feel transformed.

:pc: :pc: duel post

I have a Gen2 4S originally 385bhp.less a little bit for age on a 10yr old car, it had a sports exhaust with 200cell cats , IPD plenum, and a bmc sports filter and a regal remap and it was measured at 400bhp. So roughly 20bhp for all those bits .
Some would say thats a lot of money for 20bhp. but its not just about the top line number , the car was noticeably sharper in the low mid range and flat spots smoothed out.

It will have a new engine now and an improved induction using a fabspeed twin cone carbon performance exhaust, it also has got forward facing intake scoops to create more of a ram air effect and it will be getting a remap from Chipwizards who are supposed to be the best of the best. therefore I am expecting around the BHP of a stock GTS so 408ish with further improvement in the low mid range.

I have remapped a number of the cars I have owned and accept that the advertised gains are not realistic ,but also Know that noticeable gains are achieved. and it is more about the changes to the power curve and the way the power is delivered than the pub bragging rights of what max BHP it has.
Remaps and the other types of mod I have done are relatively cheap ways to improve the car a bit .

yes some will say the 997.2 is fast enough why do you need to mess and spend money on these things.

Others will consider spending 7to 8K to get 20/25 bhp excessive and not good value for money

But there are also those that get an OE power kit which only adds about the same and costs slightly more and a hell of a lot more if you were to try and retro fit one.

and then theres the like of me , who do it because they can and they enjoy seeing what changes when they personalise bits.

then theres the next level, those that spend 10k on a blower to fit where the airbox currently sits and get an extra 150bhp.

there are those that buy a Turbo and think OMG thats all the power I would ever need and then there are those that take an already very fast car and make it 1000bhp or 1200bhp

Guys play with their cars or leave them stock for their own personal reasons and IMO no one is wrong or right in what they choose to do. but its important they are happy in what they choose to do. :thumb: :thumb:

Although I have to say that it is impressive to be doing 100plus mph through Germany and a guy with a 1200 bhp turbo comes along side and wheels spins the car at speeds over 100mph as he pulls away from you :grin: :grin: :grin:

Phil 997 said:
....... therefore I am expecting around the BHP of a stock GTS so 308ish with further improvement in the low mid range.

Perhaps a typo, but a stock 997 GTS should be 408bhp.

All I'd say is that you need a proper custom tune by a reputable tuner with about half a day on a (good) dyno, to get the best out of what you have, but to get the best out of a tune, you need to make a couple of supporting mods first. This applies to any NA or forced induction engine and obviously there is less potential with an NA.

I've had a few cars remapped over the years (one of them twice), and I suppose I could have bought faster cars, but I enjoy the journey as well as the drive.

I worked in the engine cal department of a major OEM for a number of years. Not directly calibrating engines, but in the company of those engineers. Emissions regs and the hardware required to meet them governs everything, even exceeding what a marketing team will want to pitch to customers when it can't be done for a sensible price.

As a result and the power and economy an engine can achieve can most of the time be optimised by removing obvious restrictions and getting a good quality map. This map may be less tolerant to change, but here in the UK we have good quality fuel and little variance in altitude to upset things.

My stance has always been to optimise an engine until it feels like its flowing air properly and extracting as much power as can reasonably be expected, without chasing numbers.

Of course, this is just my opinion.

pzero said:
Phil 997 said:
....... therefore I am expecting around the BHP of a stock GTS so 308ish with further improvement in the low mid range.

Perhaps a typo, but a stock 997 GTS should be 408bhp.

:floor: :floor: well spotted mate , I have edited the post to read 408 ,I would have been disappointed if it was really 308 I ended up with :grin: :grin: :thumb:

MaxA said:
All I'd say is that you need a proper custom tune by a reputable tuner with about half a day on a (good) dyno, to get the best out of what you have, but to get the best out of a tune, you need to make a couple of supporting mods first. This applies to any NA or forced induction engine and obviously there is less potential with an NA.

I've had a few cars remapped over the years (one of them twice), and I suppose I could have bought faster cars, but I enjoy the journey as well as the drive.

I agree mate the journey is a big part of it for me. :thumb:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tobytobytoby
Back