Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

GTS - worth the premium?

I went through exactly the same thought process C4S or GTS. I ended up deciding on a C4S, I couldn't justify the extra £20K on a daily. If I spent the extra £20K I think I would always worry about the depreciation due to clocking up the miles, less concerned on a lower value car. I've had garage queens before and didn't want another.

When I looked the GTS seemed very spec sensitive. Some up for sale have been around for a long time.

NLW73 said:
considering they were about £70k new and still trading for £60-65k depending on mileage I would say money well spent.
I have the original invoice from when mine was new in 2012 and the basic car was £80,990. My car had £19k of options selected and ended up costing the first owner £100,152!! Given that the money spent on options is rarely recouped on resale, an £80k car achieving anything from £60-£70k six years later gives a pretty good indication of how highly they're regarded.

As has been said you could indeed spec up a standard Carrera to match the GTS but many of the reviews at the time sang its praises suggesting there was something special about the GTS and certainly "more than the sum of its parts" as they say.

Regarding residuals, who can say? But certainly as time goes by and as all 997's age and accrue miles the GTS will probably still be regarded as somewhat special and achieve a premium over the standard models. Currently there are 141 adverts for 997 Carrera 4S's on Autotrader and only 10 Carrera 4 GTS's, so when the time comes to sell you are probably less likely to encounter "well thanks for your time but I've got another six cars to go and see..." etc.

I absolutely love my GTS and am yet to use my recently acquired 997.1 GT3 but it's going to have to be pretty special to steal the GTS's thunder!

Dear All,

The prices of 997 GTS's have fallen significantly in the last year. The premium over a non-GTS is now also reduced.

For instance JZM recently had one up for £60k for a manual, low mileage, bucket seat GTS with Porsche warranty. This would have been more than £70k a year ago.

Average price for a OPC advertised car used to be around £65k, now its £55k.

A little alarming for those (like me) who put their money in what seemed like a safe place.

Bag yourself a bargain!

jackliebling said:
Dear All,

The prices of 997 GTS's have fallen significantly in the last year. The premium over a non-GTS is now also reduced.

For instance JZM recently had one up for £60k for a manual, low mileage, bucket seat GTS with Porsche warranty. This would have been more than £70k a year ago.

A little alarming for those (like me) who put their money in what seemed like a safe place.

Bag yourself a bargain!

Unfortunately that's the same across most of the Pcar fleet!

jackliebling said:
Sorry to be picky but that's not the case - currently there are seven 997 GTS's on the Porsche Approved website with an average price of £65,427.

There are three C4GTS's averaging £66,054 and four Carrera GTS's averaging £64,957.

To be fair most sportscars' prices have fallen in the last year and now is a fairly quiet time all round.

It's odd, and I don't know why, but JZM have never really sold their GTS's particularly quickly compared to their turnover of GT3's etc (whereas OPC turnover of GTS's has generally been at a higher rate). As an aside JZM have also become very picky over their stock over the last six months or so and I believe very little has actually been bought into stock and SOR has dominated their sales space.

squelch said:
jackliebling said:

Sorry to be picky but that's not the case - currently there are seven 997 GTS's on the Porsche Approved website with an average price of £65,427.

There are three C4GTS's averaging £66,054 and four Carrera GTS's averaging £64,957.

That's not being picky, it's correcting a clearly erroneous post.

Thank you for saving me the effort. :thumb:

Interesting topic 996Jane... Porschenomics..? Well here in the land of the faithful you are ever bound to be surrounded by all the fanboy (of which I am one) stuff, and I suspect economic realities may not not often be the primary concern. However there are some who have been kind enough to share their Porsche experiences from creating a specification and ordering processes through to resale some time later..?

I suspect for most folk sinking what for them may be a considerable amount of cash into a motor vehicle, the idea it might also have investment potential seems rather attractive and can go some way to off-setting considerations relative to the initial outlay..?

I also suspect with some Porsche GT cars, less can more, and the 70`s 911 2.7 RS might be considered one of the ultimate investment vehicles for a Porschophile, and as I remember, it`s interior was very basic compared to the more common 911`s of the time, much of that being down to the search to improve performance as the result of weight saving at the expense of comfort, though it also had it`s fair share of tricky stuff too.

Market forces seem to play their part and there can be no doubt that Porsche have taken every advantage in the value of promoting the marque in product placement etc. There was a time when sightings of Porsche cars were somewhat rarer than they have been for the last twenty or more years..? One of the basics of building and retaining market value can be rarity.. I also wonder at the market affect of the nomenclature relating to GT when considered relative to rarity and thus actual market value given there would seem to be rather a lot of GT`s around now, far more than ever there were 2.7RS cars..hmm?

The advantages of owning a GT rather than an "ordinary" Porsche.. well just the name badge on the least expensive Porsche will perhaps elevate an individual in the eyes of the general populace in some circumstances, perhaps not as the direct result of the many LeMans victories over the years, but more likely initially down to the media hype that pushed the yuppie lifestyle of those in the financial services industry in the 80`s on to TV shows and trough every other media source... ?

On the other hand some folk with automotive interests will differentiate between one Porsche and another in terms of perceptions of value, perhaps more so amongst Porsche enthusiasts there is bound to be an element of added cachet for a GT owner, and much of that may also feed through to the past and current market value of GT`s, though markets can be fickle and markets in general seem to be jittery for obvious reasons (i`m no economist) but it seems to me that to suggest a Porsche might be the best hedge if difficult times are ahead...hmm..?

Jimmy Choo shoes and perhaps a Hilde Palladino handbag might be hard to justify over the best available that M&S has on offer if one is just heading out to the shops or office etc. it seems they are highly valued in certain quarters.... trying not to be sexist... but in the same sort of evaluation process identified here often as "man maths" expensive Porsche purchases are justified for other than their actual normal usage, which I suspect may just be personal transport...?

While any or all of the above might go some way towards arriving at the decisions we make when buying a Porsche, they tend to have some sort of value variable built in that is likely to be outside our control or indeed our ability to predict accurately...?

However if ownership of a GT can bring you great personal joy and more so than an "ordinary" Porsche of any other description.... Then I suspect it can be a great investment, never more so if you can ever arrive at the stage where you consider the returns it has provided as the result of your usage of it during your ownership exceed it`s monetary/market value at any particular time.

Given the amount of money/indebtedness that folk might be involved with relative to Porsche "ownership", and the value they might place/depend upon in regard to residual or any other value relative to their personal financial plans, might just carry more risk than they care to imagine..? I suspect many Porsche owners like home owners place perhaps more value on those assets than they might actually be worth if/when a another crunch visits... watch out for the appearance of ...webuyanyporsche .com... :bandit: :bandit: :bandit:

I guess following URL subject matter may be regarded as blasphemy in present company, but perhaps worth some consideration before TRASHING....? (-:

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cu...ration-porsche-911-will-never-be-collectible/

Just thinking in type, claiming zero expertise.

T8 said:
squelch said:
jackliebling said:

That's not being picky, it's correcting a clearly erroneous post.

Thank you for saving me the effort. :thumb:

I wrote that post before checking the latest stock, you're right when looking at the latest stock. But these are new listings from Porsche and when they don't sell will be gradually reduced in price until they find a buyer, their usual tactic. The OPC stock for the last few months was pitched in the mid 50s and I can only assume that they found their market price and finally sold. Perhaps it was an end of year blip. Hexagon seem to have reduced prices by about 10k.

I also tried to shift my 997 GTS to several dealers (OPC and indy) who were not interested due to sticky stock towards the end of the year and I also listed it privately for £53k and i had only a couple of calls. Easier to buy than sell it seems!

jackliebling said:
The OPC stock for the last few months was pitched in the mid 50s
Well that's just nonsense - I'm a frequent visitor (probably twice a week or so) to the Porsche Approved site and 997 GTS's have NEVER been mid 50's. I recall the cheapest one I saw was a Cab at £57.9k with no sports chrono and iirc around 40k miles.

jackliebling said:
Hexagon seem to have reduced prices by about 10k.
Indeed, Hexagon have reduced the price of their stock in the last few months, including their Turbo / S stock (which they have always had more overpriced than anything else they keep) - maybe they're on their way to joining the rest of us here on planet Earth.

jackliebling said:
I also tried to shift my 997 GTS to several dealers (OPC and indy) who were not interested due to sticky stock towards the end of the year and I also listed it privately for £53k and i had only a couple of calls. Easier to buy than sell it seems!
I don't know your car and these can be spec sensitive, but £53k seems very cheap indeed. Did you sell it?

Certainly more 991GTS cars for sale on Porsche uk than 997 GTS models.
Am I right in saying the ride is no different to non GTS models?
Obviously no counting GT3's

The GTS, as mentioned it's a 'parts bin special", but they are far from just cosmetic parts. It has a wider track, steering is beautifully balanced . Power kit with just 23 bhp over an 'S", but different intake apparently for improved torque range :dont know: I was amazed to read so many positive reviews when I researched buying mine 18 months ago, eg Evo mag.

I met Lee Sibley, editor of Total 911 about a week before I bought mine. I asked his honest opinion on 991 s or 997 GTS .... he said '100% GTS , its a fantastic car". Now as a bloke who has driven pretty much every variant, that sealed it for me.

It's the same running gear as the £400k sport classic, at a fifth of the price :floor:

I added a DSC module which enhanced the ride, and a fabspeed x pipe which makes it howl ! :thumbs:

I love a 4s * , and it's all the 911 most of us would need (in a daily), But in my opinion, it's worth the premium. I wouldn't go as far as saying 'investment' or 'future classic ' there are too many made.

* I know of a very clean , below average mileage, 997.2 C4s PDK coupe that the owner wants to offload. Domestic issues :frustrated:

He only bought last year from mid sussex and hence still has lots of OPC warranty remaining . Also a lovely set of sport classics with winter tyres

askgeez said:
* I know of a very clean , below average mileage, 997.2 C4s PDK coupe that the owner wants to offload. Domestic issues :frustrated:

He only bought last year from mid sussex and hence still has lots of OPC warranty remaining . Also a lovely set of sport classics with winter tyres

Interesting - any more details? Colour, history etc?

squelch said:
jackliebling said:
The OPC stock for the last few months was pitched in the mid 50s
Well that's just nonsense - I'm a frequent visitor (probably twice a week or so) to the Porsche Approved site and 997 GTS's have NEVER been mid 50's. I recall the cheapest one I saw was a Cab at £57.9k with no sports chrono and iirc around 40k miles.

jackliebling said:
Hexagon seem to have reduced prices by about 10k.
Indeed, Hexagon have reduced the price of their stock in the last few months, including their Turbo / S stock (which they have always had more overpriced than anything else they keep) - maybe they're on their way to joining the rest of us here on planet Earth.

jackliebling said:
I don't know your car and these can be spec sensitive, but £53k seems very cheap indeed. Did you sell it?

Ok, well it's your word against mine. In December there were several 997 GTS on Porsche website listed for 54-57k, they have all sold. My car didn't sell privately, some chancer offered me £46k. Last week a well known Indy wanted to list my mint car on SOR with 42000 miles for £53k. No way I'd let it go for that (given their near £5k fee) so I'm hoping to keep it longer to wait for spring.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Steamy
Back