Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Home made strut braces

NedHan79

Suzuka
Has anyone bothered to make strut braces for there road car?
I see a few guys with very interesting build threads that would easily be up to this.
I'm just looking into it for front and rear. Whilst I know they're not mega money to buy I just think they could be made for peanuts. I can't see how the likes of a subaru carbon fibre sti brace couldn't be easily adapted to fit by basically changing the plates at each end. Very easy bolt on job. I wouldn't be looking at anything like a full x section type that runs across the frunk, from struts to plates welded in behind the headlights.
Alloy braces can be had very cheaply and made to fit with a bit of lateral thinking.

Or is this the type of thing that no one bothers with?

No point on the rear. The top shock absorber mounting doesn't take any serious sideways loads as all of the suspension pickups are on the subframe. For the front the issue is that the stock battery is in the way to get a clear run between the towers. I will be having a go at doing something but haven't started yet.

MC

Haven't you already asked this question......or did I dream it?

Alex I hope your only dreaming :sleepy:

Mistercorn I've only had a quick look at it but the easy way to go would be with 1 like a Subaru 1. It's angled to go round the intercooler. My car is fitted with a massive battery which I'll downsize in due time but the scooby style would be ideal.

Attachments

• ee438fc4_9d91_4526_b39d_1919eba2460c_131.png
    ee438fc4_9d91_4526_b39d_1919eba2460c_131.png
    1 MB · Views: 1,962
I'll give it a read when I get a chance Alex.

Another thread to look at marky. Ah well, I suppose I'd better read the whole thing :floor:

Given the amount of structure around the front strut mounts on a 996, putting a strut brace on the front would give about as much value as tits on a fish. The car's lack of rigidity comes from the area between the A and B pillars, and realistically, only a properly done cage will address that.

:floor: A Norkfish. :thumb:

Martin996RSR said:
Yup, fishtitties. 8)

Is that the technical term or is it a delicacy round your way :floor:

So you reckon it's not worth the hassle. Like most things, I've absolutely no need for it but I just like to be up to something.

There's far simpler stuff you tank tinker with to improve handling like gearbox and engine mounts.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Autocraft1
Back