Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

HELP.. Coil pack ''boots'' perished.

ballcock

Paul Ricard
The car has gone on for an oil and spark plug change.

Word back is that the packs themselves are fine but the boots and springs that connect the packs to the plugs are completely perished, some out and broken up, some still stuck in :sad:
The question is can these 'tubes' or 'boots' be bought seperately?
And any thoughts on getting the remaining ones out!?

Thanks all!

Just change the coils complete, not that expensive from carparts4less with code.

If they are that old the boot tube things are falling apart, then they probably need replaced.

I had one stuck years ago and pulled it out in pieces at first with needle nose pliers. Luckily it was the end one so I could get access. If it was the other end I might have needed to remove the exhaust manifold.....Although I have head of people replacing the spark plug tubes (the tubes these sit in) with manifold in situ so it must be possible to get in.

Lets see what DeMort says!

Thanks, I've just ordered a new set. I certainly hope the manifold can be left as is.

I came across a video or write up in the past about removing the tubes... and the guy had made a home made tool to do it. I must have a look..

It could have even been on here, or maybe Pelican parts.... hmmmm... will let you know if I find it

Hi Ghia, thanks for that. Yup they're not separate. Or more to the point they SHOULDNT be separate. However they are now!

Im a little confused .. nothing new there :D

The rubber boots that cover the coil wiring plug connection are part of the engine loom .. are these damaged ?

The purpose of these it to keep water out of the coil /wiring plug connection .

The spark plug is enclosed in a plastic tube .. depending on model / year .. its about 4 inches long with a rubber seal top and bottom .. when these fail you get oil leaks .

If these are leaking then you remove the coil and spark plug .. a long bolt with a small washer on it , couple of nuts to hold it loosely in place .. slide into the tube , washer will drop behind the tube and a quick lever and the tube will come out.

Credit to Infrasilver for that .

You replace the seals or tubes as req .

If we are only on about the rubber boots and the electrical connection then you are kinda stuck .. the connection .. you can cable tie it in place .. the rubber boot though .. you cant replace it without removing the wiring plug and fitting a new boot .. which you cant get unless second hand .

Show me what you have ordered or pictures please .

Demort, the coil pack has broken and the long bit is still connected to the plug as it seperated from the square part at the coil pack.

Ghianightmare said:
Demort, the coil pack has broken and the long bit is still connected to the plug as it seperated from the square part at the coil pack.

Aghhh cheers ..

Hmm .. some what strange as ive not seen this .. oil contamination i would guess ..

garage should already be on the case here .. mole grips or round nose needle pliers .. normal pliers but the end part is in a circle .

if really stuck i think i would try and remove the plug tube ( if fitted ) .. the black plastic one .. a screwdriver can usually do that then use said pliers to grab the end of the coil and pull it out .

Downside .. i think i would be removing the silencers first ..

This isnt something you want to have half a go at .. make space first then attempt to remove them .

kinda struggleing to see that an indy is having problems with this .. its kinda par for the cource ... at least with my luck it always seems so !

EDIT ..

Worst case senario .. remove the cam covers .

Attachments

• 7_fuel_line_pliers_in_line_fuel_filter_tool_131.jpg
    7_fuel_line_pliers_in_line_fuel_filter_tool_131.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 2,332
  • zn502657_89310327_1_149.jpg
    zn502657_89310327_1_149.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 2,332
Thanks folks,he tells me it's not something he's seen before on a 996 ... kinda worrying that!
I've ordered the coil packs. I'll pass on the advice re taking out the spark plug tubes (if fitted) thanks for that DM
Besides that I'm going to leave the extraction of the bottom tubes of the pack to them. Fingers crossed!

It happened to me. Long rubber nose of the coil pack stays behind in the tube when you unbolt and remove the coil pack head. They are just push fitted together and will go back together if you get it out in one piece.

99660210400_1lr.jpg

I used a can of wd40 and the red straw that comes with it, poke the straw down past the raised rubber ribs to lubricate then they might come out if you grab them with some pliers.

Helps if you have some long needle nose pliers to grab at the metal bit inside the rubber coilpack nose.

Some coils have rubber ribs in differnet places eg

413330081.jpg

Its just the rubber ribs have more grip on the spark plug tube than the nose has on the coilpack head. Probably exacerbated if spark plug change has been missed!

Thanks for that, wasz, they're currently working on getting them out, I think there are two that are coming out in little pieces but I'll pass on your info.
And yes I suspect that this may be the first spark plug change in 'a while"..
Funny that cos it runs and idles very sweetly. It'll prob be like a bag of spanner's after the plug and pack change :roll: :grin:

The pictures Wasz posted .. i have a feeling one is for a car with plastic plug tubes and the other is for those without .. it rings a bell that the wrong type will jam in place .. wrong coils fitted in the past perhaps .

Nothing more than a hunch though im afraid .

Thanks DM, I hope they replaced them with the correct ones.
I got word late yesterday that all tubes were removed, and the car will be ready today,will be driving straight to work with it .. hope I get there!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back