Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Small chassis crack?

GMG said:
...unless it drives sideways down the road I would not worry about it...get it welded up and forget about it...

Second that.......

Bacas said:
Hi guys
I am fairly new to Porsche. Less than a year ago I got this nice 993 97' C2 coupe. Looked good. Took it to an OPC where they did the 111 point check which it passed with no problems signaled.
Just recently I was looking around in the frunk and found this crack on the chassis (photos).
Is it serious? Can it be easily repaired?

You need to drill a hole at the very end of the crack, this will prevent it from spreading any further. Then get it welded sooner rather that later :thumb:

GMG said:
...unless it drives sideways down the road I would not worry about it...get it welded up and forget about it...

Also this. And get a strut brace on there. If it drives in a straight line and the geo figures are all good, tyres not wearing unevenly etc I can't see there is any need to do any shltting in pants.

tyinsky said:
GMG said:

Also this. And get a strut brace on there. If it drives in a straight line and the geo figures are all good, tyres not wearing unevenly etc I can't see there is any need to do any shltting in pants.

Beautifully put :)

GMG wrote:

At the risk of getting slammed again, surely you can and should apply the same logic to a Cat d car, which has been on the road for years with no issue...

:grin:

Many "Cat" cars work fine. But that's not the same as being valued as "non-cat" cars. We can discuss the relative logic of that as long as we wish, but the reality is the value is impacted by cat status.

I'm surprised by the laid back comments on this thread... If that was my car i'd be shi$$ing bricks.

Get it to a good bodyshop repair outfit pronto and get it professionally assessed. :thumb:

C.

cableguy said:
I'm surprised by the laid back comments on this thread... If that was my car i'd be shi$$ing bricks.

Get it to a good bodyshop repair outfit pronto and get it professionally assessed. :thumb:

C.

Same, I would want to know WHY this had happened

Yeah I would get a decent accident repair outfit to look the car over and weld it up.

They can measure various points on the body to tell if its straight, and will know where the weak points are to look for more cracks.

I wouldn't be doing any autobahnstorming in the meantime.

-----

Cat C/D cars you KNOW 100% something happened, if there is evidence then you can assess how well its been fixed.

Non recorded cars, you have no idea what repairs it has had in life. On a valuable car, they could be major.

Inspect any purchase thoroughly. Cat C/D can be a bargain as people avoid them for some reason.

Interested to know how this resolves. You would think that if caused by accident damage there would by other signs.

Albionmuz said:
cableguy said:

C.

Same, I would want to know WHY this had happened

Looking at it again, I think that that nut has been buttoned up too tightly with a rattle gun or breaker bar and caused the crack, the fracture line follows the edge of the nut base and it's on the 'edge' of the fabrication where the metal bends around the strut tower.

AP90, I have been told seems a number of police cars are suffering similarly damaged tower tops, the cause of which is suggested to be related to increased loadings on the towers as the result of hitting speed bumps etc at higher speeds than would expect to in more normal circumstances... :?:

The yellow and red witness marks aren't aligned which would suggest someone has "nipped it up" ?

As someone else has said - drill the end of the crack and weld it.

I think it can be/was normal practice in OPC`s to dab paint on such nuts after torquing, which indicated that the task was complete and that it had not been disturbed since..? That there are both yellow and red paint marks would cause me to think that there had been possibly two events carried out by knowledgeable spanner wielders relating to the suspension strut and perhaps a third or more by someone less ..err..caring..?

Given 993`s are now old cars and some can have a measure of chassis corrosion occurring from the inside out, caused by condensation over many years, even in a car that has never been out in the rain.

Those that have may even have driven through a ford, or a puddle or two in their time in the UK adding to the chance of water ingress, any and all of which can equate to a measure of structural degradation in time...? Who has not hit a water filled pothole that was just thought to be a puddle...etc.etc.etc.

Weld it up and forget it seems less than ideal..... with a bit of LUCK it might be nothing worth worrying about..and if the time /cost of checking it out is deemed too much for any reason, then I guess that might be down to how much of a gambler you want or are forced to be..?

If ever prepared to trust to luck relative to any task, an old workmate would say "It matters not, until it matters, and when it does, it can REALLY matter"... Works for me.. Though happy to consider alternatives.. :?:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back