Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

New tyres 996 C4S - what are the best ones?

Shurv

It's the first time since I bought the car 6 years ago that all 4 tyres need replacing at the same time. As such is an opportunity to experiment and try something other than the Conti's I've been running. I have been 100% happy with the Conti's, but life moves on and there may be something better out there. Cost isn't a consideration, I want the best grip and handling, mileage is also down the list of priorities, but I want a consistent tyre, and one good in wet as well as dry. N rated, there's a can of worms, not sure I'm bothered if they are N rated or not. What are you guys running and what feedback would you give?

Hi Marcus, good to see you're still around these parts.

Tyre-wise, I moved from Bridgestone S02As to Michelin PS2s, but currently thinking of Mich Cup2s.

The Bridgestones have a mega stiff sidewall which gives very good steering feel, but the tread overheats if pushed very hard resulting in a 'flat tyre' feeling. The first time this happened, I honestly thought I had picked up a puncture, but normality resumed as the tyre cooled down.

The PS2s were a good upgrade, less direct steering feel but tons more outright grip, most impressive. Mileage wise, mine return about 6000-7000 for the rears before reaching 3mm, which includes about 3 track days also.

Really want to try Cup2s though......

Mike.

PS 2 N rated for me on my C4S.

However The car behaves much better with fresh suspension links... just about to make a relate three on tyre pressures etc - so comparing tyres without considering the condition of suspension bushes can be very subjective

I upgraded from Michelin PS2 to PS4 a few months ago. Plenty of reviews online found them to be substantially better in most tyre tests than the competition. The this I noticed most was how much better turn in was over the PS2. They're not N rated however, if that bothers you.

I had to go with PS2 as I went N rated.

Will try PS4 (non N rated) nest time so I can compare :judge:

Personally think the N rating is bo!!ocks but each to their own and all that :thumb:

My tyre supplier told me that the N has a different side wall stiffness to non N.

Tyres

Just had my second full set of Michelin PS2 N rated - all fresh within date stamp for the grand total of £725 fitted and balanced plus a £50 rebate voucher from Michelin so £675 all in .
Transformed the car !
Looked at Ps4 non N rate but struggled to find sizes for C4S

Try Tyre Medics Hinckley

Tyres

Forgot to add , Free Hunter alignment included in fitment ?
No adjustment required being a regular at CG

After making the mistake of buying Pirelli from the OPC when I first bought my C4S I decided to get it right and buy Michelin PS2's. Much prefer them and only £676.14 (according to the spreadsheet) when I bought them in August from Black Circles.(it took them two attempts at fitting them using the mobile service and so won't use them again - still needed balancing)

Ghianightmare said:
My tyre supplier told me that the N has a different side wall stiffness to non N.

Not true. They may have stiffer sidewalls compared to some tyres, but tyre stiffness varies and is spec'd on the side of the tyre (load index number), therefore there are some non N rated as stiff if not stiffer. All N rated means is Porsche have tested and recommend them.

Hi Alex,

I'm not in a position to disagree with you, but one thing I can say is that there seems to be a lack of evidence as to what exactly an N rating is, or isn't.

There is a post on PHs from a person perporting to work in Michelin (it could be my sister for all I know) stating that N can mean a difference in carcass compound or sidewall.

There are also many posts to say they are the same.

I can't find any evidence from Michelin to confirm either, but that could be my lack of search skills

Ghianightmare said:
I'm not in a position to disagree with you, but one thing I can say is that there seems to be a lack of evidence as to what exactly an N rating is, or isn't.

There's a whole host of threads on the subject of N rated tyres on the 'Wheels and Tyres' sub-forum.

eg .This one which includes bulletins from Porsche.

----> http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=53470&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

and this one, which contains answers from an expert at Michelin.

----> http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=92039&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

N just means Porsche have approved them...........for a large back-hander :grin:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back