Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997.2 ECU tune

Fandangoisi

Does anyone have good, personal experience of any ECU tuners (preferably in Yorkshire) on 3.8s models?

I've had superchips do my bitdi Audi with success but I'm nervous.......

Any suggestions most welcome.

:welcome:

Unicorn :dont know:

Tom used him and has got good reviews :thumb:

I think it's generally accepted that there is not much more to come out of these engines, but a proper remap can eek out a little more oomph and alter the mapping to tune out the emissions fudges!

Wayne at Chipwizards has a very good reputation and was recommended to me by Hartech! I think he can do a live custom map on a dyno, so not just some charlatan that will do a 15 min ECU flash and charge you north of £500 for the pleasure!

Always amazes me this.
Porsche would of spent fortunes to get the best all round map for the ECU.
Why oh why do people wish to mess with these cars in any shape or form. is beyond me.
If you want a faster Porsche, buy a faster Porsche.

C2.1GTS.2 said:
Always amazes me this.
Why oh why do people wish to mess with these cars in any shape or form. is beyond me.

Each to their own! It's not always about extra power, smoothing out the mapping to eliminate the artificial emissions settings on any engine can be a benefit, whether that's worth the cost is up to whoever is paying! Can also benefit when you have made mods to the exhaust or intake, which are popular on these cars.

C2.1GTS.2 said:
Always amazes me this.

All new cars have a factory map banged on them that will cover a multitude of sins. For example if Porsche release a 911 with say 450 hp, it must make 450 hp at 15,000 feet above sea level on crappy fuel. In other words- in a challenging environment.

A custom remap can totally transform your rev range in a good way. Fatter torque in the mid range (where you need it) and increased top end hp. A skilled tuner is worth his weight in gold imo.

C2.1GTS.2 said:
Always amazes me this.

now thats just what i was thinking

[/quote]All new cars have a factory map banged on them that will cover a multitude of sins. For example if Porsche release a 911 with say 450 hp, it must make 450 hp at 15,000 feet above sea level on crappy fuel. In other words- in a challenging environment.

A custom remap can totally transform your rev range in a good way. Fatter torque in the mid range (where you need it) and increased top end hp. A skilled tuner is worth his weight in gold imo.[/quote]

This ^

Porsche build great cars, but they also build them to a budget and to suit all environments and emissions standards.

If there were no benefit at all in chip tuning cars, none of these companies would exist.

Whether the outlay justifies the gains is for the individual to decide.

Stating if you want a faster car buy a faster car is all fine and dandy if the have several thousands of pounds to invest, not to mention the time to deal with the agro of changing your car, versus spending a few hundred on a tune. - Not really apples for apples in my eyes.

Many also enjoy the journey of modifying a car, as oppose to buying vanilla, each to their own.

Wayne Schofield appears to have a very very good reputation among Porsche owners, from what I can see you will struggle to find a bad word said, he is however apparently notoriously difficult to get hold of!

My 2p , Porsche will have compromised on the full potential for various reasons including having to comply with a world full of various emotions legislation plus restricting the potential of these cars so they can get max profit from the flag ship cars and their very expensive power kits. controlling air in , gas out and the ecu are very easy ways for them to restrict the full potential of these cars for all the given reasons . they have to pick a map that will give max economy as well .
So we all know that the stock ECU map is not the best that can be achieved
A good remapper will rework the ECU to your requirements, whether that is moving the power curve to give you more low-mid range ideal for a fast road car or maxing the car for track use.

I do get the argument that these cars are fast enough and well set up for most people, but there are those of us that enjoy tweaking and getting a bit more out of our cars and as I said there are decent wins by tailoring the map to make the car a more enjoyable road car. and if combined with other mods really can make a noticeable improvement.

I have my car at Hartech currently and Wayne from Chipwizards who is regarded as the best is very close to them ,so mine will be going to him for a remap after Hartech have rebuilt it. I have already discussed with him that max BHP is only bragging rights and my requirements are more about improving low-mid range and smoothing out the known flat spots that all these cars have.
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Probably a waste of money on these NA cars. I can certainly see the gains on anything with forced induction.

Phil 997 said:
My 2p , Porsche will have compromised on the full potential for various reasons including having to comply with a world full of various emotions legislation plus restricting the potential of these cars so they can get max profit from the flag ship cars and their very expensive power kits. controlling air in , gas out and the ecu are very easy ways for them to restrict the full potential of these cars for all the given reasons . they have to pick a map that will give max economy as well .
So we all know that the stock ECU map is not the best that can be achieved
A good remapper will rework the ECU to your requirements, whether that is moving the power curve to give you more low-mid range ideal for a fast road car or maxing the car for track use.

I do get the argument that these cars are fast enough and well set up for most people, but there are those of us that enjoy tweaking and getting a bit more out of our cars and as I said there are decent wins by tailoring the map to make the car a more enjoyable road car. and if combined with other mods really can make a noticeable improvement.

I have my car at Hartech currently and Wayne from Chipwizards who is regarded as the best is very close to them ,so mine will be going to him for a remap after Hartech have rebuilt it. I have already discussed with him that max BHP is only bragging rights and my requirements are more about improving low-mid range and smoothing out the known flat spots that all these cars have.
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

It'll be an absolute delight when you get that back. Bet you can't wait to feed in the gears on that fat torque wave, you'll love it :thumbs:

Magic919 said:
Probably a waste of money on these NA cars. I can certainly see the gains on anything with forced induction.

Nah, had loads of performance bikes (NA) custom mapped over the years and a good tuner will deliver a fantastic power curve. It's not all about peak power, it's about getting all the low down lumpiness dialed out and a nice fat midrange balance of power and torque. A skilled tuner/mapper will make a big difference :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stinkyspanner
Back