Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Discovered something new today about the 997

FZP

Whilst scrolling through Facebook I can across this today, and I must admit, I had no idea this is how the headlight washer worked

https://youtu.be/KS8dzfNQELk

Who knew? :dont know: I thought it sprayed from where it was but it seems that's not the case.

Can't view it Frank. Must be one of those dodgy groups like Lamp Lovers.

alex yates said:
Can't view it Frank. Must be one of those dodgy groups like Lamp Lovers.

Absolutely nothing dodgy about Lam....... :oops: Errr I mean The Brotherho.... :oops: :oops:

Not that i ever go on Facebook .... ever :what:

Fixed. The other video was much clearer but you get the idea
Makes me think of R2D2 :grin:

Blimey - I dont think I have even operated mine. I forgot they even existed.

How do you operate them?

:D

I knew :p .. be pretty bad if i didnt though :eek:

Bet they leak now after not having been used since your last mot .. they often do !

Use them every few monthes .. it will make them last longer .

BTW cheers for the link .. i dont have facebook and so couldn,t see it .

Press the button. Otherwise they work after so many screen washes in one trip.

benbuhagiar said:
How do you operate them?
on the bottom edge of your wiper stalk is a button. Press away. As deMort says, use them otherwise they get sticky. I got a rollicking from my OPC so when the car is in need of a wash I give them a blast.
I'm sure at motorway speeds it looks like the radiators pop if your the car behind. Loads of spray
:grin:

Thanks.

Wow, I had no idea! Porsche engineering really is fantastic. I love the oil filler spout and cap; that's so over engineered it cracks me up!

Thought this was a wind up at first until I remember that one of our group said his car failed an MOT because the headlamp washers didn't work, the tester didn't realise that you have to have the lights switched on before the washers will work. Also the button is not well marked so loads of people never even know it's there.

You have no idea over the years just how many of these cars come in for a service , we operate the headlight washers (part of the job ) and they start leaking ..

It will then empty the contents of the washer bottle on the floor.

Replacement is the only cure .

Use them or loose them seems to be a sensible comment here as they are not exactly cheap to replace and have to work for an mot .

Basically if you use them it stops them filling up with crap from the bottle ..

Ever operated your washers and noticed a smell ? thats old screen wash that degrades and turns into jelly .. it will then block your washers and headlamp jets .

Never use too much screen wash when refilling and use the washers to empty out the bottle between services and youll be fine .

Thats one of my ........ Good tips for the year shall we say :D

deMort said:
You have no idea over the years just how many of these cars come in for a service , we operate the headlight washers (part of the job ) and they start leaking ..

It will then empty the contents of the washer bottle on the floor.

Replacement is the only cure .

Use them or loose them seems to be a sensible comment here as they are not exactly cheap to replace and have to work for an mot .

Basically if you use them it stops them filling up with crap from the bottle ..

Ever operated your washers and noticed a smell ? thats old screen wash that degrades and turns into jelly .. it will then block your washers and headlamp jets .

Never use too much screen wash when refilling and use the washers to empty out the bottle between services and youll be fine .

Thats one of my ........ Good tips for the year shall we say :D

Please I don't want to seam utterly stupid but on my 997.1 what do I press to just operate the headlight washers?
My buddy she has an old 2002 boxster with headlight washers and can these be operated just on there own?

Sorry for the numpty question. :oops:

On a 997 you turn the headlights on then press the button under the wiper stalk , it has a symbol on it for headlamp wash .. this will operate them.

On a 996 you turn the headlights on and operate the normal washers but hold it on and then the headlamp washers will operate... to be honest i do this useing a tester so had to think about normal operation .

If you dont have zenon lights .. no headlamp washers then you dont have to worry .

No question is a stupid question .. Only a search for knowledge .

Attachments

• porsche_997_boxster_cayman_wiper_stalk_switch_193.jpg
    porsche_997_boxster_cayman_wiper_stalk_switch_193.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 2,677

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back