Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

What's the procedure for swapping bank 1 variocam solenoid?

Alex .. the tool is pretty simple .. its not much more than x2 allen head bolts on a plate which bolts to the head .

If you pop out a green bung on the back of the head youll see the hole / recess in the camshaft .. you just need to find an allen bolt to fit it .. allen bolts have a round head .

Then a plate you can attatch them to.

All you are trying to do is hold the cams in place when you remove the cover .

Picture is from the manual .. there are probably more images there if it helps .

Attachments

• tool_1_183.jpg
    tool_1_183.jpg
    220.1 KB · Views: 3,840
So they only need clamping on the end then :thumb:

A member has offered to lend me their kit that contains the locking tool.

Look at page 42 and on for doing the cam timing .. thats manual group 1 engine from 15 .

You only need to do this if you are removing the cams .. say for the slippers on the cam adjustor .. you will then need the aligning tool .

When refitting the cam cover .. make sure there is a thin film of gasket sealent .. the area at the green bung end .. it had channels .. you REALLY dont want to block them with sealent .. it will blow out the bungs and dump oil everywhere .

I put sealent on the cam cover then with a metal ruler wipe it flat .. then remove any excess .

get your guy to have a read of that manual .. as usual for Porsche its kinda all over the place but he will get the idea if hes not done this before ....

If he has then why the questions :p

It is but someone's lending me one :)

Car was in today having a new solenoid fitted. My mechanic checked out the plastic chain guides/slippers. He says they're in pretty good condition with only light wear visible on them.......which is surprising for 132k miles. He's got some other jobs to do on it so I'm hoping he'll have everything done by end of play tomorrow. Missing it already and I've only gone a day without it.

They may have been done for all I know but I have no documented evidence of it. Might have a Hartech rebuild for all I know. The previous owner did live in Bolton and never saved any paperwork in his ownership. :dont know: :grin:

I'm confused. My old bank 1 solenoid is black. My new solenoid isn't black. Do Porsche still colour code them or just leave them plain now?

alex yates said:
They may have been done for all I know but I have no documented evidence of it. Might have a Hartech rebuild for all I know. The previous owner did live in Bolton and never saved any paperwork in his ownership. :dont know: :grin:

Have you asked Hartech themselves? I know the paperwork from way back was a lot slimmer than they give today, but they may have records of the plate as passing through their hands..

I might do next time I chat with them.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
993gtnut
Back