Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Rear Parking Sensors anyone ?

greenson

Monza
Has anyone retro fitted any rear parking sensors to their 996 , OE or after market ?
Is it a big job ? , are OE parts necessary or does anyone know of a suitable supplier of after market parts /kits which wouldn't ruin the whole bumper.
Reason - preservation !!
After 5 years of ownership , my wife suddenly decided she might like to have a drive in my car !

Likely getting them done soonish and definitely aftermarket - and as low profile as possible. This is only because I'm getting the bumper repainted as the previous owner got it touched up and 'tis grim when you look closely at the colour match and (lack of) prep - I actually quite like the clean lines of no sensors and no issues so far, but why not...

The original 996 ones are HORRIFIC if you have ever seen photos online? No wonder they were seldom fitted.

I just had the electromagnetic strip reverse sensor fitted, it's not a good range wise as the ultra sonics but it's no holes and completely invisible. If I was having the bumper resprayed I would certainly think about aftermarket flush fit ultrasonics they are better, there are plenty of good kits available reasonably cheaply and nothing like the oem warts

There are plenty of suppliers/ fitters out there.
Quite inexpensive, and subtle, if you can see them on the pic below? .. (unlike the original bee sting variety!)but aural only... of the beep beep beeeeeesp variety!
And yes I got mine done for the same reason as you :nooo:

Attachments

• b853aa2e_521e_4603_9d56_c156c9517ada_683.jpeg
    b853aa2e_521e_4603_9d56_c156c9517ada_683.jpeg
    336 KB · Views: 2,281
ballcock said:
There are plenty of suppliers/ fitters out there.
Quite inexpensive, and subtle, if you can see them on the pic below? .. (unlike the original bee sting variety!)but aural only... of the beep beep beeeeeesp variety!
And yes I got mine done for the same reason as you :nooo:

Nicely done. Who fitted may I ask?

I tried to order the strip sensors from a well known supplier, but my card was skimmed so I'm definitely going with modern ultrasonics instead.

Am toying with the idea of replacing the CDR22 with a Pioneer double din, and maybe putting a camera into one of the numberplate lamp areas, but based on how often I use the radio (pretty much never) but smartphone google maps (always) I'm really not sure it's worth the cost or hassle.

If you are based near the south coast...

We used these folks the other day:

http://www.reversepark.co.uk/

Front and rear fitted to Mrs L's BMW 140i - colour-matched sensors with audio interface (you don't want to ask how much BMW retro-fit and integrated ones are....) - all in for £350 - they came to the house and it took about 2-3 hours.

Would recommend them - nice guys and a pro job

@911Tip I can't help you really unless you're planning a visit to Dublin! They cost €240 fitted.

Mine were fitted & colour coded by Karl from incarelectrics.co.uk but this was kindly organised by 911virgin prior to me picking up the car.

Attachments

• d49f00ae_f362_45f6_bf01_75d15ce5268a_157.jpeg
    d49f00ae_f362_45f6_bf01_75d15ce5268a_157.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 2,167
asterix_the_gaul said:
I just had the electromagnetic strip reverse sensor fitted, it's not a good range wise as the ultra sonics but it's no holes and completely invisible. If I was having the bumper resprayed I would certainly think about aftermarket flush fit ultrasonics they are better, there are plenty of good kits available reasonably cheaply and nothing like the oem warts
I fitted one of those kits on mY T5 van when I bought it new in 2015 and I am really impressed with them.
The only slight fly in the ointment is that they only detect whilst the vehicle is moving.

Thanks all - think I'll go for the low profile ultrasonics.

Now need to decide whether to do before a repaint, or at same time.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gpc
Back