Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

London area must see?

G2 said:
Unfortunately That is what everyone going to goodwood on the Saturday does to try and get in early. It is a massive event and very busy at weekends.

Won't I be travelling against/opposite traffic (East to West)? ...at least once I get past Goodwood?

I'm Cornish and had never heard of Treen - had to google it. Jeez, it's in the arse end of nowhere. That's a fair drive from Goodwood (not in mileage, but in traffic and rubbish roads).

Edit: a quick check suggests 260 miles, 5 hours.

JTT said:
G2 said:
Unfortunately That is what everyone going to goodwood on the Saturday does to try and get in early. It is a massive event and very busy at weekends.

Won't I be travelling against/opposite traffic (East to West)? ...at least once I get past Goodwood?

Yes. The problem is getting to and past goodwood though. You have the same journey on the friday, when traffic is a lot lighter so you will be able to gauge it then.

Hire car satnav will put you on the A272 or A27, Both regularly experience 3-5mile tailbacks over the weekend with circa 1.5hr usual delays. Anyone within 20 miles of goodwood knows to avoid travel on the Saturday and Sunday. Unfortunately there was an accident this year and parts were worse than usual.

It's a car meet and we brits get up early for those.

2016 https://www.chichester.co.uk/news/t...lve-goodwood-festival-of-speed-hell-1-7451455

You might be lucky, but you asked for local knowledge :thumb: advice is move west to make the Saturday journey easier or expect longer journey times. Winchester is lovely for the Missus to have a day looking around.

As you travelling along the coast from FOS to Cornwall really worth a stop in the New Forest for the Beaulieu Motor Museum and the World of top gear display. Google it as theres actually lots for Mom to do their thats not cars , Lord Montagu, 3rd Baron Montagu of Beaulieu has his ancestral home there and visitors can walk the house and grounds

https://www.beaulieu.co.uk/attractions/

It might be the ideal stop point on the way to Cornwall and you get to do cars and she gets to walk around the Palace and get some real old English history

Thanks G2, I very much appreciate the advice. I'll work on the wife to see if I can convince her to consider another location for our overnights. Winchester sounds nice. How about Beaulieu itself? Is there reasonable places to stay right down in that area? That would put us West of Goodwood, and possibly out of major traffic?

JTT said:
Thanks G2, I very much appreciate the advice. I'll work on the wife to see if I can convince her to consider another location for our overnights. Winchester sounds nice. How about Beaulieu itself? Is there reasonable places to stay right down in that area? That would put us West of Goodwood, and possibly out of major traffic?

Happy to help.

Suggestion:-

Thurs Gatwick to Winchester
Friday Winchester to goodwood along the A272 and via Midhurst (beaulieu is a bit further west and south so not what I would suggest as a base when travelling for the goodwood portion)
Saturday beaulieu / new Forrest then along to Treen) Phil knows Dorset etc miles better than me.
Looks like you are coming back to Gatwick Sunday just to drop hire car back? I'd advise against that for the same traffic reasons. Alternative is to use the A303, stop at Stonehenge and then M3 towards London and drop the hire car off Basingstoke (or Salisbury or Heathrow) and train it into London if you are staying in the city.

You could then do Brighton as a day trip on the train from London during the week.

Gatwick express train to get back to Gatwick from London for your flight on departure day depending on where you are staying.

Overriding point. There is zero point in having a hire car if you are staying in London itself.

Brilliant! So as we will be staying the Thurs and Fri night in the Goodwood area, and wife staying behind on Fri where ever we are staying, would you suggest staying both nights in Winchester? I assume it's not much of a trek from Winchester to Beaulieu?

Huge thanks for the advise on the car drop too! Yes, we had planned to drop the car before going into London, so the advise to not drop at Gatwick is gold!

Thanks again!

JTT said:
Thanks for the suggestions!

Unfortunately, this is a family trip and "Mom" won't tolerate us doing more than one day at FOS :nooo: If it was just he and I, we'd stay the weekend.

Reassure 'Mom' that the Goodwood FOS is now as much a British 'society' event as it is a motoring event. Yes, lots to see as a petrolhead, but equally, keep eyes peeled for celebrities etc and the surroundings are stunning.

It is definitely not a bunch of blokes standing about in a windy airfield eating bacon sandwiches (though Goodwood Estate bacon sandwiches are available)

It's still a bit of a schlep from Winchester to Beaulieu, so I'd suggest you stay much closer, in the New Forest. England seems small but the roads are even smaller and it takes absolutely ages to get anywhere.

I managed to take my wife and family to Beaulieu, and they all very much enjoyed the gardens, monastery, spy museum and such, as well as the cars, and the old bus. We even saw Edd China and some of his wonderful creations, such as his (motorised, road legal) Sofa and his Bathroom!

As to London itself, forget the hire car (it'll cost you more in parking than the rental), but do take a walk down Park Lane from Marble Arch, past all the high end car showrooms. You'll see Aston Martin, McLaren, BMW, etc.

JTT said:
Brilliant! So as we will be staying the Thurs and Fri night in the Goodwood area, and wife staying behind on Fri where ever we are staying, would you suggest staying both nights in Winchester? I assume it's not much of a trek from Winchester to Beaulieu?

Huge thanks for the advise on the car drop too! Yes, we had planned to drop the car before going into London, so the advise to not drop at Gatwick is gold!

Thanks again!

Yes. Priority number one is make wife happy to ensure being allowed out to play with cars for max time.

Depending on flight landing time you will get into Winchester Thursday evening time. Wife is then in right place for Friday. Your drive into the festival of speed from Winchester is a bit further than from Brighton but it will be a lot less traffic on that route I gave, so quicker. Back to Winchester Friday evening. Then check out Saturday morning and drive to beaulieu as a detour on your way to Cornwall :thumb: Phil and Richard will be better to ask about routes out of beaulieu on your way to Cornwall.

Robertb said:
JTT said:
Thanks for the suggestions!

Unfortunately, this is a family trip and "Mom" won't tolerate us doing more than one day at FOS :nooo: If it was just he and I, we'd stay the weekend.

Reassure 'Mom' that the Goodwood FOS is now as much a British 'society' event as it is a motoring event. Yes, lots to see as a petrolhead, but equally, keep eyes peeled for celebrities etc and the surroundings are stunning.

It is definitely not a bunch of blokes standing about in a windy airfield eating bacon sandwiches (though Goodwood Estate bacon sandwiches are available)

Amen to this :thumb: there are wife crà¨ches all over FoS as well....otherwise known as verve cliquit champagne tents :thumb:

3 more sleeps! We arrive Thurs morning after a red eye into Gatwick. If anyone is going to be at Goodwood on Fri, look for a couple of awestruck Canadian boys wandering aimlessly :)

Thanks for all your help guys!

Joe

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back