Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Ims advice please and help

alex yates said:
To quote:

bazhart said:
The difficulty here is that some bearings were fitted a bit tighter than others (usual manufacturers tolerance build up) and these generated more minute running in metallic particles that mixed with grease and formed grinding paste that prematurely damaged some bearings.

This is why they either seem to fail early (under 45K) or last well over 100K.

Baz

Fitting a NOS sticks you right in the middle of this ball(bearing) park.

No doubt this will not happen with the seals removed, im not sure if it is nos now or just new as it has no seals but it is the correct size.

Seals have no bearing on races manufactured to the extremes of their tolerances.

Are you sure it's a dual row as nobody manufactures them at those sizes?

alex yates said:
Seals have no bearing on races manufactured to the extremes of their tolerances.

Are you sure it's a dual row as nobody manufactures them at those sizes?

yes it's a dual row 20x47x23.8 with polyamide cage. looks good.

:thumb:

so back to is there a stronger retaining shaft available to fit or is a new one obtainable . :dont know:

Hooner said:
so back to is there a stronger retaining shaft available to fit or is a new one obtainable . :dont know:

I have one fitted in mine from Hartech but I'm unsure if it'll fit a dual row bearing. They only supply the post with bearing and ideally like to fit it themselves but only with the IMS on the bench. You would have to sweet talk them if there was a chance of them selling one individually.

if you look on hartech website for rebuild costs there are the following options :

New Latest Design Porsche Intermediate Shaft: From £800 + VAT

New Intermediate Shaft Bearing & Stronger Spindle: £150 + VAT
Fitted to intermediate shaft from stripped engine.

Ok thanks for the replies guys, does anyone know if its possible to knock the retaining shaft though the back of the bearing then use a internal puller to remove the bearing,this could save the retaining shaft from any damage :?:

You probably could knock it through, but in doing so puts stress on an apparently weak part.

I wouldn't bother doing anything.

The risk of IMS bearing failure is really low.

Theres so many other things that could let go at this age and mileage, why disturb the bearing and increase its risk of failure?

I would either: leave well alone and flip the seal off when the clutch needs doing

Or: fully rebuild the engine now, new bearings, chains, with hartech IMS mods, the lot, this will remove all the other points of failure and give you real peace of mind.

Mine:
Tkd9el0.jpg

+1!

I get the hartech rebuild thing but, as im in Northern Ireland its not really an option, so im just gathering parts if they are needed,the bearing will only be changed if on inspection it's showing signs of wear.

Replacing the bearing in situ is a recipe for disaster TBH.

I would not consider replacing the old dual row with one of the same for reason already mentioned.

Could pallet ship an engine to Hartech?.

One member from this site had an IMS bearing replaced in-situ by a well renowned indie from the south and coincidentally the engine lunched on the timing chain a couple of days later!
Good advice offered on this thread mate :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back