Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

DesignTec Valvetronic exhaust replacement for PSE

unclebob said:
Hi.

I'm looking to replace my PSE which has rusted extensively. The DesignTec valvetronic (switchable) looks like a bargain at the moment:

http://www.design911.co.uk/fu/prod1...Sports-VALVETRONIC-DesignTek-for-Porsche-996/

Has anyone had any experience of this? And how much work is it to get it to work with the dash button control (and speed control) of the original PSE?

Cheers,

Ben

Hi Ben, I have read a number of negative posts re the designtek exhausts baffeling breaking up.
I have a topgear valvetronic set up and its been on the car for 2 years with no issues, give Alex a call at Topgear, I would expect you to get one after haggling for around £750 maybe a little less. Don't worry they they might not show one in stock as they are the manufacturer and make them so will sort one for you.better to buy from the manufacturer than a middle man, also they have fitting partners across the UK if there site in Dorset is too far for you to go, so getting it fitted is easy.
Lastly they do a payment plan so you can spread the cost over 6 months make it even more interesting lol.
Quite a few guys on the forum have brought these for there 996 and 997s
HOPE THAT HELPS

https://www.topgear.co.uk/exhausts

Thanks for the replies to this. I went with the Top Gear valvetronic one in the end.

Nice sound at low speed but I find there's a bit of a drone on the motorway (70+).

Is there a way to stop the PSE circuit changing it back to the loud setting above 50? Ideally it would be loud until about 40mph then switch to the quiet setting.

Just noticed the DesignTec one is down to £695 so is a good bargain at the moment.

Whatever system you go for can I have your old vacuum units from the old silencers?

Drop us a PM :thumb:

unclebob said:
Thanks for the replies to this. I went with the Top Gear valvetronic one in the end.

Nice sound at low speed but I find there's a bit of a drone on the motorway (70+).

Is there a way to stop the PSE circuit changing it back to the loud setting above 50? Ideally it would be loud until about 40mph then switch to the quiet setting.

Ben, the topgear unit shouldn't drone at 70 ,I have had it on at 140 mph and I only needed to raise my voice a bit for the passenger to hear me, I have a couple of questions . who fitted it, as if there is a slight leak or the exhaust is touching the chassis somewhere this often happens at certain speeds or revs and the engine twists a bit and causes the exhaust to touch the chassis somewhere, with mine it was a disused bracket on the rear of the car touching the cats but only at certain revs, I removed it and the problem was gone.
The second was your comment that the circuit opens and closes at certain speeds ,have you done something to make this happen as mine works off the key fob remote and can be open or closed when I want it to be at any speed or revs ,so if for example as you say you would like it in off mode over 70 then I would just push the remote button and turn it off. maybe you can give more detail as to what you have done with yours to make it operate differently to mine. :thumb:

Fitted one to my Carrera and it was spot on, worked a treat and sounded great with no drone that I can recall.

unclebob said:

Does the dash switch not work any more?

@Isoproturon
I had these installed on my carrera c2 and am having very loud low frequency noise at low revs, and droning on the motorway. I am trying to figure out if this is due to fitment or the silencers themselves. Are you able to confirm you have none of these issues?

thanks
james

Not sure how far your exhaust has gone but my 2000
C2 pse had a issue with their flexi joint so had them cut out and
Had new flexi added this kept my car original protected the wonderful
Sound you get from a OE PSE and only cost £200.

Attachments

• f3cd848c_58f5_4edb_9800_95e12adeecd1_927.jpeg
    f3cd848c_58f5_4edb_9800_95e12adeecd1_927.jpeg
    998.2 KB · Views: 4,608
Harv said:
Whatever system you go for can I have your old vacuum units from the old silencers?

Drop us a PM :thumb:

:lol:

996mike said:
Not sure how far your exhaust has gone but my 2000
C2 pse had a issue with their flexi joint so had them cut out and
Had new flexi added this kept my car original protected the wonderful
Sound you get from a OE PSE and only cost £200.

My car was a PSE car, however when i purchased it it was equipped with non-switchable Dansk silencers. So no original PSE silencers to refurb (and no spare valves!)

I could go back to the Dansk but i would really like to have switchable.

unclebob said:

If yours is the proper Porsche installation then you can either disconnect the grey/pink wire from the relay board, bend the connector back on the relay or cut a diode inside the relay to disable the speed related change.

If you have the later manually switchable system it will do whatever the switch is set to if you cut the wire. If you have the earlier automatic system it would make it loud all the time I think. You can upgrade by changing the relay and adding the switch. I run the later system on my C2 and have upgraded from the earlier to later system on my C4.

MC

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back